“Young and younger”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Young and younger”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

First time at this particular hotel in New York and stayed because of location of business meeting. Very friendly employees. Great location for shopping. Lots of taxi cabs hang out at entrance of hotel. Nice size bar attached to hotel with separate entrance also. Lobby very minimalist and clean. Mini bar in lobby with seating area near for computer workers. Very good restaurant for sit down service but mini bar in lobby is also coffee/snack bar in the morning which is very convenient. Regular size room booked which was a little small but efficient. Only two small drawers but large mini bar assortment. Hanging closet small and bathroom adequate. Bliss products help ease small size of bathroom. Very noisy air conditioning unit and the air hit directly on the bed which was a drafty feeling. The bed was very comfy but duvet cover barely covered edges of king size bed so my husband and I fought over the covers most of the night. Most all cliental in the hotel were much younger than me (in my 60's) which was a little off in feeling comfortable. Employees made up for any inconvenience being they were very accommodating with any request. The hotel all in all is very nice and location is excellent. It could use an updating of decorating - felt worn. Lots of bang for your buck!

Room Tip: ask to hear air conditioner unit while it's on - plus check if the air hits you directly on the...
Green Features: Never changed the sheets the three nights we stayed there
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kathleen P
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Hello Kathleen,

Thanks sharing your feedback and trying our hotel for the first time during your last visit to New York! It sounds like you enjoyed your experience overall; however, I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with your air conditioning unit and your duvet. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to my Engineering and Style teams so they can take a closer look at your concerns. I appreciate your kind words about our talent. Your comments will be a great example for them of the memorable service we aim to provide. When you are planning another NYC trip, please don’t hesitate to reach out to GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks for your post. We hope to see you again soon!

Anna M.,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I travel to New York frequently for business and since 2007, I have ONLY stayed at the W Midtown Hotel - THE ORIGINAL W!!! I am currently north of 60 stays here and have been a Platinum Starwood member for years. There are two people I want to mention at this hotel who are worthy of recognition. Derron has become like a brother to me over the last 7 years. Whether its assisting me with airport transportation, restaurant recommendations or talking hoops the conversations are always lively. It is always refreshing to see a friendly face when you are away from home and when I pull up to the W and see Derron, I know I'm home.

I also want to give a shout out to Sammi! In a word, Sammi is AWESOME when it comes to customer service. She literally goes out of her way to make sure I receive impeccable treatment while I'm here. She is simply the best and when I check into the hotel and see her I know instantly my trip will be nothing less than perfect.

The W Midtown Hotel - The ONLY place to stay in New York City in my opinion.

- Malik

Room Tip: Rooms facing 49th street or 50th street tend to be quieter.
Green Features: The hotel has been and continues to be an environmentally friendly hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Hello Malik!!

WOW! Thanks for your fantastic review! We are more than happy to serve as your NYC home. I appreciate you sharing your great experiences with Derron and Sammi. I’ll be sure to share your comments with them and our entire team as a reminder of what we do best! Before your next trip, please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks for your loyalty and taking the time to post. We will see you again soon, Malik!

San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

10 days in a hotel really gives you you a feel for a hotel and their staff.

Here are some tips I learned about his hotel to help you with your stay. There are coffee pots available (Keuruig bring your own K cups if you have a favorite but they do provide you with some) upon request only. Otherwise they sell coffee, muffins, cereal and fruit at the Bar in the mornings. Also, you can request a different pillow for your room. They have Down Pillows (soft), Foam Pillows (firm), Neck Roll Pillows (round) and even Body Pillows (for snuggles). Room services is fast and tasty. The Benedict's were amazing - all of them! We had our clothes laundered and everything came back hung and pressed neatly and folded stuff came in a box lined with tissue between every article of clothing. We spent a lot of time at the bar entertaining guests. Their drink menu features awesome mixed drinks, try them. And they provide chips for snaking that are so tasty you would think they were covered in crack (joke) or some other addictive element.

We asked Patrick the concierge for recommendations of restaurants and things to do. My friend staying with us can not have gluten and he knew all the gluten free restaurants including the best pizza place that has both gluten and gluten free pizza I have ever had! (Better than Italy!!!) We wanted a local feel of the city and he recommend taking the subway to Brooklyn, for a food festival, take the water taxi to the Brooklyn Bridge and walk the bridge. It was awesome! Very friendly and knowledgable of the city; utilize him.

We booked a Spectacular room but got upgraded to room 351 (not sure of the category but it had a king bed instead of a queen) because we stay at W hotels a lot. Rooms were small but quiet, very conferrable bed, and bliss amenities are always nice.

After a couple of nights in this room, we decided we needed more space so we upgraded to a suite.

We moved to room 318. It was perfect for what we needed with a separate living room (my hubby gets up very early and works) which is great so I could sleep. Unfortunately sleeping can only be done on the weekends as they are doing construction next door and it felt like someone was jack hammering my wall at 8 am sharp through 5 pm mon-fri. This room should not be sold to anyone while this construction is happening if they are planning to be in bed after 8 am on weekdays. Seriously the entire bed shakes like I just put a quarter in it. I know it's not the W hotel fault but when you are paying for a suite and you want to sleep, it very aggravating. We were in town hosting dinners and dancing for clients and sometimes not getting to bed until 4 am so to only get 4 hours of sleep in not what I had in mind. This room was so much louder than any of the 4 rooms we had in our group and should simply not be sold during the week if those guests plan on sleeping after 8 am.

Another high note of the hotel was Monique, our lady who cleaned our room. She was over the top amazing and did what ever she could to make our stay comfortable. We laughed together about the jack hammering next door. She was friendly (I gave her a hug when we left), adorable, and took great care of us! I felt comfortable leaving her in my room without locking up a single thing in the safe. (ps, safes are in the bottom drawer of the mini bar. We could not find it the first 2 days lol).

Location of the hotel is great. It's in the middle of everything. Highlights of the area... St Bart's Church for drinks... converted church into bar. Roosevelt Rooftop bar at sunset, Sprinkles Cupcakes after hours ATM for late night sweets, lots of shopping, restaurants, time square is close (Best view of Times Square for drinks and apps is The R Lounge at the Radison Hotel)

One more side note. At one point we were entertaining 5 guests at our hotel. We wanted to order some apps and drinks and have them on the second level lounge area. We went into the Bar inside the restaurant and tried to orders these things. They said they would not deliver them up there. We wanted to talk in an area that was a little more quiet and so we took our business across the street to the Waldorf. This was a disappointment for us because the W is more our style so we had to take our business across elsewhere and we felt this did not fit with the hotels Whatever -Whenever policy. This and the jack hammering prevented me from giving the hotel great reviews.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank TheLuvDiva
Hello TheLuvDiva,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback on your extended stay with us. My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with our Oasis Lounge and the construction occurring next door. Unfortunately, the Oasis team is not able to serve food on the second floor meeting level. I’m glad to hear, however, that you enjoyed the other parts of your visit. In particular, I’m thrilled to hear about your great experiences with Patrick and Monique, and I’ll be sure to share your comments with them and the rest of our team as a reminder of what we do best! We’d love to welcome you back, so, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip. Thanks again for your review. We hope to see you again soon!

Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Recently booked a block of rooms here for an overnight with friends. Many of our rooms weren't ready due to late checkouts. The staff was very apologetic and provided our guests with cocktails in the warm and vibrant lounge. Rooms were great and the restaurant has a fantastic brunch too! We would definitely book here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hello M2422,

Thanks for your post and choosing us for a special trip with your friends! My apologies for the delay in your check-in, but I hope that you enjoyed some of our delicious cocktails in our Oasis lounge while you waited. I’m glad to hear that you and your guests enjoyed your rooms and had the time to indulge at HeartBeat restaurant as well. When you find yourself returning to New York, please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The location is great--walk to Times Square, Central Park, shopping, great restaurants, etc. Our room was larger than I expected, had everything we needed in it, clean, and had enough storage so we were not tripping over luggage. The bathroom's slate floor was a nice touch, as were the Bliss bathroom products. Bed was very comfortable. We never waited for an elevator. Staff was friendly and helpful. We got our car in less than ten minutes.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Busymominva C
Hello Busymominva C,

Thanks for your review. Sounds like you had a great stay with us, and I’m so glad to hear it. Our W Beds and our Bliss WC amenities are certainly useful in helping you relax after a day out exploring in New York. I’m also happy that you found our talent to be accommodating during your stay. Our goal is to ensure our guests have a memorable visit from start to finish. Please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning to return. Thanks again

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel is located in a more quiet section of the city, but still very walk-able to many locations.
The lobby has a bar, and a small club attached.

The room was small, but fine for just the pair of us. We werent in the room very much anyway.

Valet parking was easy, and didnt take too long to retrieve the car when we checked out on Sunday.

Also worth noting....you need your hotel key card once in the elevator to get to your floor! Nice safety feature!

The bed was super comfy, the shower was good (though could use a bit more space for shower items IN the shower)
The bathroom mirrors were good, as was the lighting (which is typically important to ladies!)

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Christa S,

Thanks for posting about your W experience! I’m glad to hear that you were at ease during your stay with us. We like to provide a comfortable oasis for all of our guests after a day out in the Big Apple! I appreciate your feedback regarding the shower design, and I’ll be sure to share your comments with our team so they can take a closer look at your concerns. When you are planning your next trip, please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your review. We hope to see you soon!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed at the W on Lex for 4 nights and overall it was adequate.

Unfortunately, my first interaction with staff at this hotel left a lot to be desired. Arriving after 25 hours of travel from Australia, I was curtly informed I could not check-in as the room was in my husband's name and he had not arrived yet. There was no offer to store my luggage while I waited for him nor any suggestion of an appropriate alternative to standing in front of the check-in desk for the two hours it twas going to take his flight to arrive from Boston. All that I felt was required was a simple offer to look after my luggage and be pointed in the direction of the lounge. Instead, when I inquired what options I had I was met with a shrug of shoulders and silence. Luckily, I was able to ring my husband as his flight was delayed and had him call and authorise them to check me in.

Other front desk staff we interacted briefly with over the course of our stay were pleasant. Duron (sp?) the doorman is good.

Rooms were clean and beds comfortable. If you are a light sleeper (which I'm not but I was awake at odd hours due to jet lag) noise could be an issue.

Bliss toiletries are nice and the housecleaning and staff that attend to room call outs i.e., safe unlocked, room service, dry-cleaning etc were personable and efficient.

Rooms are compact but the decent-sized closet was welcome for hanging clothes and storing luggage. Our "Wonderful" category room looked onto E49th and a large window allowed in sufficient light.

The hallways and public areas, in contrast, are dimly lit and gloomy. And despite the obvious effort that has gone into making this hotel modern and stylish, the decor felt dated and contrived to me.

As hackneyed a phrase as it may be, first-impressions really do count. Plus, NYC has many other great accommodation options that are well-located and at a commensurate price. I'll be exploring one of those on our next visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Trovamiqui
Hello Trovamiqui,

Thanks for your review. I appreciate your detailed feedback and your kind words about our talent; however, I am disappointed to hear about your check-in experience. This is not typical of our hotel, and I am sorry that this happened for you. I agree that first impressions do have the greatest impact, and I apologize that this set a poor tone for your stay. I will be sure to share your experience with our Welcome Office team so they can follow-up immediately. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We’d love the opportunity to show you what W New York is all about during your next visit. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com should you decide to return. We hope you consider giving us another chance.