“A Dark, but Cool Place”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbus, Ohio
“A Dark, but Cool Place”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Admittedly, we had some reservations before staying at the Thompson given that some reviews led us to believe that we would need miners' hats to find our way around the dimly lit facilities. Well, if you are looking for bright lights in the big city, this is NOT the place for you, but for all others who don't mind a shadow or two, this is a great place to stay. First of all, the location was perfect as the subway station is right across the street and many areas of interest within walking distance. The staff could not have been more responsive and helpful. The room was spacious and the decor was modern with a black wood floor,a cement ceiling and a half wall of hanging metal beads. The shower was huge with a shower head the size of Staten Island. Now for the lighting situation. While the fixtures were somewhat on the dim side, there were two bright "spotlights" on each side of the bed which provided ample light for reading. We had no problems at all seeing what we needed to see. I have read complaints about the elevator lighting but why to you need bright lights there? The monitor in the elevator was showing a continuous loop of a Fellini movie, I think "8 1/2" which was pretty cool. There is a small outdoor pool on the third floor which was a nice place to hang out and enjoy a cocktail. On the 7th floor, there is a private bar/club with two outdoor patios which provide a great view of the city. The crowd was young, lively and fun and it was a nice place for a nightcap. Breakfast on the terrace was very pleasant but service was a tad slow one day. I know this place is pricey, but so is New York. We got a discount on a bigger room with a complimentary breakfast, so that helped. Regardless, the Thompson exuded a cool friendly vibe which made our stay very relaxing. Most assuredly, we will stay there again.

4 Thank mls7217
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Dear mls7217,
We appreciate your time and value your feedback; we love hearing from our guests. We're very grateful to know that you had a wonderful stay with us despite the reservations you had prior to your visit. As well, we appreciate your kudos and for highlighting some of the things you enjoyed most about Thompson LES -thank you for all of your compliments. We're very glad you stayed with us and we hope to have the privilege of serving you again in the future.

Thompson Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Do not stay at this hotel unless they cut you a killer deal, and even then ask yourself how desperate you are!
Fundamentally there's nothing wrong with the building, but the management suck, there are not enough staff, they are badly trained, they don't act upon complaints and do not deserve your custom.
I can't be bothered to write an article length piece describing what went wrong, suffice to say everything that could, did.
At your peril...

Room Tip: Book another hotel
5 Thank Ackhurst
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Dear Ackhurst,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, we love hearing from our guests. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay at Thompson LES. We strive to provide each of our guests with an exceptional stay and we assure you that what you experienced is not the standard. We're confident we can provide you with a remarkable stay in the future.

In hopes to remedy your recent stay with us, we would like to invite you to contact us -please send a message to ThompsonHotels, or contact the hotel directly by phone, email or via Twitter; @Thompson_LES. We value your input and we hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed here end of June x 3 nights.
Loved the location, Soho walking distance, and some great restaurants all very close by.
Hotel was great, nice spacious modern rooms, large walk-in showers and shared walk-out balcony.
Service was efficient on front desk, and the doorstaff really freindly and very helpful.
Would recommend and most probably would go back when next in NY.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Seveonline,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review with us, we love hearing from our guests. We appreciate your kind words and compliments regarding our location, accommodations and staff -we're very grateful to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for choosing Thompson LES and we hope to have the privilege of serving you in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Where do I start? Perhaps at the two door guys who ignored me upon my arrival with an armful of bags? Next stop was at the front desk to check in for my grandparents, so that I could get ready. The front desk insisted that I swipe my card but assured me that nothing would be charged. When I called to inquire about the near $500 authorization on my account the front desk staff told me it would be credited back in 2 days. Now 4 days later my account still is $500 and I'm told by the bank it won't be credited for another 6 days.

We stayed on the 14th floor and the most distinct part of the stay was how terrible the elevator was! It would fly past our floor quite a few times without ever stopping, and several others in our party had the same experience on their floors.

The hotel is very trendy, but almost to a fault. The hotel feels cold and that feeling is amplified but the lack of warmth of the staff. The only 2 people who portrayed what I would expect of customer service in a caliber of hotel as the Thompson were a very lovely waiter and our cleaning person.

Upon our departure, we waited over 2 hours for our valeted car. A few people in our party waited over an hour. At about the 2 hour mark of our wait they refunded us the money we paid, but wouldn't have done so had my girlfriend not complained. Overall- It was one of my worst hotel experiences.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
3 Thank levinemo1
Dear levinemo1,

Reviewed 19 July 2011

We chose Thompson LES for its location. Easy to walk to interesting bars, restaurants and boutiques, and a short cab ride to Williamsburg.

We arrived at 7pm and our room wasn't ready, which isn't really what you want to hear after a 7 hour flight. But, we were taken up to the bar and offered a cocktail on the house which actually did make things better, we only waited 10mins and we were in our room, all forgotten about.

I was slightly concerned about out room (after reading a review about the 7th floor) which was opposite the club and right next to the lifts. But as we were out most nights, we never really had any problems with noise as there was a double door to our room, we could slightly hear music and people in and out of the club but never became an issue. We drank at Above Allen anyway one night (great views of the Empire State Building). But I possibly wouldn't have put bedrooms on the same floor as a club.

However, we were extremely pleased with our room, it was huge! Gorgeous comfortable bed, amazing rainfall shower and great seating area, it was clean and modern. Maids came everyday to change towels etc and leave chocolates on the bed, we also requested an iron and they were straight up with one. Oh and Kiehl's products!

If I could have changed anything I would have like to have seen a kettle and mugs in the room to make a cup of tea and free wifi (there was a laptop which you could check anything on for free at the front desk, but felt a little awkward with people around). And, not to have a room on the 7th floor.

But I must say the staff were very welcoming and helpful all of the time and you were never once ignored, they are the best staff I have come across in a modern hotel, I wish they were like this in all hotels.

I would definitely stay here again on my next trip.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank vlbell01
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Dear vlbell01,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we love hearing from our guests. We are very grateful for your wonderful review, numerous compliments and for highlighting the exceptional service and accommodations that you experienced at Thompson LES -we are pleased to know you had a very enjoyable stay with us. As well, we're glad you were able to take advantage of the trendy Lower East Side neighborhood, along with our venue, Above Allen. Most importantly, we hope you had an incredible New York City experience and we hope you'll visit again soon.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the privilege of serving you in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I stayed here with part of a bachelorette party. Overall the hotel has decent facilities, but the service leaves something to be desired.

Check in was at 3pm, I arrived at 4:00, and was told my room was not yet ready. At 4:30, the room was finally ready. The elevators require the guest keys to go up and down, and everyone seems to have trouble with them including the staff. And the pool did not open on time either. The guest services book in my room said it opened at 8am, at 8:30am I called to ask why it was still locked. I was told that it didn't open till 9am. At 9:15, when the pool still wasn't open, I went down to the front desk, and was told the lifeguard had not yet arrived, and they couldn't open the pool till then. It's 9:30 and I'm still in my room waiting. I understand these things happen, but I feel like it's a bit of a pattern here.

I will say the rooms are nice, albeit small (but it's a boutique hotel in NY, so that's to be expected). And the lobby, and pool look nice. My only other complaint is that the hallways are pretty dimly lit. I probably wouldn't stay here again, unless the service changes, but it's a nice hotel in a decent location.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank JRyles07
Dear JRyles07,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we love hearing from our guests. We sincerely apologize for the poor service you experienced during your recent stay and we assure you that this is not the standard at Thompson LES or at any Thompson property. We strive to provide superb customer service and guest relations and we regret to know that your visit was anything less than exceptional.

In hopes to remedy your stay with us, we would like to invite you to contact us -please send a message to ThompsonHotels, or contact the hotel directly by phone, email or via Twitter; @Thompson_LES. We look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 9 July 2011

Rooms are amazing, large and comfy! Bathroom I dream about. Service was insanely good. Will stay again! Skip the restaurant. Over priced and many better spots around!

• Stayed March 2011
4 Thank Travelitupyo
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Dear Travelitupyo,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we love hearing from our guests. We're grateful to know that you had an enjoyable stay at Thompson LES and we appreciate your compliments regarding our hotel and service.

We eagerly look forward to serving you in the future.