“is it a club or a hotel?”
Review of SIXTY LES

SIXTY LES
Ranked #149 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“is it a club or a hotel?”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The LES Thompson needs to decide if it wants to be a club or a hotel. We stayed here for 5 nights. During the week everything was great but on the weekend the club kicked off and we could not get to sleep until after 3am in the morning. We were on the 10 floor and thought the noise would not affect us because the club was on a much lower floor, but we were wrong. If it wants to be club - I would give the sound system 5 stars - but unfortunately we thought we were checking into a hotel.

We loved the neighborhood (surrounded by unique shops and restaurants), the rooms were sleek and modern, the staff were all really nice and the rate was great for NY. For the first few days we had thought we had found a gem - but then the weekend came.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank neige8
Tania G, General Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Neige8,

Thank you very much for your candid feedback. While you enjoyed the beginning of your stay, I am very disappointed to learn that towards the end, we failed to meet your expectations. I would like to assure you, here at Thompson LES, we take our guests’ feedback very seriously. We are aware of the challenge of rooms being affected by noise coming from our lounge/bar, and we are currently working on changing the process of guest room assignments, especially on the weekends to avoid inconveniences as much as possible.

We are pleased to learn that you also enjoyed what our neighborhood has to offer; perhaps you would like to visit us again in April when our new Blue Ribbon restaurant is open.

Thank you again for staying with us at Thompson LES, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thompson LES

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My friends and I stayed at LES for a long weekend getaway. Absolutely loved the service and staff in the hotel, very helpful and has a great location! Normally I stay closer to midtown when travelling to NYC but this location was perfect. and the concierge recommended alot of neat places in walking distance. The rooms were great and the lounge on the 7th floor was alot of fun. I look forward to staying there again.

3 Thank AssiaMoretti
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I don't really like to post my experience (good or bad) because I don't get the time to do so... i'm always on the run and never in a place with good internet connection (talk about 3rd world countries). But here i was in New York for a good week and was visiting my cousins from Calgary. We decided to meet up in NY since it's been 3 years since I came here... We decided to stay in the lower east side area because it was hip and happening from all the TimeOut reviews and articles that i had researched from back home.
This is another reason i don't like to write reviews because i'm too detailed and could end up here for an hour.
Yes, the reason i'm writing is because i do see a lot of reviews on Thompson LES and some are good and some are okay and some just outrageous (i don't know if these are true)... But let me state my side of the story and how it was so satisfying and just left me breathless from the first day to our check-out. We stayed in one of those Studio Kings on the 8th floor which was quite high but the view was not what i was looking for. Anyways, i didn't come here to stay in my room, i was here for my cousins and our good time in NY. During our stay, the staff at the front desk was more than giving, extremely courteous and very attractive i should say... They never said no to anything but came up with some suggestions all the time ... very young staff but i could tell they were in to it... Very cool and not up tight as other standard Hilton's and the Marriotts that we are used to...
I was disappointed that they didn't have a restaurant but the front desk staff introduced us to Meatball shop and other neighborhood restaurants which were sooo good... Besides, all that the manager on duty during check-out actually invited me back to the hotel on my next trip to NY and said he'll buy me a drink or two in the new restaurant that they were opening. I will definitely be back just because of that gesture and involvement in his guest when i mentioned about the restaurant absence. that was my only complaint (so to speak).

Room Tip: Avoid floor seven (bar floor) but it doesn't hurt if you are here to party or if it's during...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jrondadon
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I am staying at this hotel as I write this review, Im in a corner suite on the 9th floor and all I can hear is the lounge's LOUD LOUD music! I've called several times only to get a "there's nothing we can really do". The manager has claimed to ask them to turn down the music but I definitely can't tell. I've asked to be moved but they're "fully booked" and I've mentioned a refund several times w/o a response. My husband and I came here to get away and get slow sleep..we have 2 kids who always wake up early and it's not possible!! What am I supposed to do?? It's so upsetting and so frustrating.

6 Thank KSMW
Tania G, General Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear KSMW,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us the experience you have on your recent stay at Thompson LES. I must apologize for the shortcomings and my team failed your expectations. Here at Thompson LES, we strive to provide exceptional services, and this does not represent our standards.

I have addressed my team on the issues and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future visit, I will ensure your experience to be a positive one.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed in this Thompson Hotel from 2nd Feb. to the 7th Feb. 2012 and we were very disappointed to say the least. We are regular visitors to Manhattan as I have family there and decided to head downtown as we normally stay in midtown. So we choose what we thought was a trendy, modern hotel with cool hang out areas, bars and restuarants!!! Oh how wrong we were, I arrived to meet my friend who had already arrived and she told me she was on the 7th floor terrace bar, I said who...hoo and headed up to meet her. The "bar" is really only a terrace/deck with worn material on the not at all comfy or cosy couches, no atmosphere and served me my long awaited Grey Goose/Tonic in a plastic long glass....I was paying a good deal of money and I got my drink in a plastic glass, was I back at my festival days...So we then asked where the "real" bar and trendy restaurant that we had read about on the website when we booked the hotel were to be told "oh we are sorry but they are closed as we are changing mgmt companies"....Needless to say we were annoyed, we only booked the room a couple of weeks ago and we booked based on photos we saw of the hotel amenities on the internet, but we could not find the places that matched there nice pictures in the hotel, we should have been notified about this at booking time...OK granted the room was very good, really spacious, comfy beds and lovely sheets....But it ended there....There was always about 8 staff in the lobby to any guest so it wasn't exactly the type of lobby you wanted to hang around, as you felt eyes on you all the time...Overall we were so disappointed at this quite high priced hotel and I expressed our disappointment on our last day when we were checking out and really the response we received drove me to write this review, it was an indifferent response, and I just thought...thats it I'm writing this review....so my advice don't stay in this hotel, unless they can guarantee everything you see in the photos is actually there for you during your stay...:)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Aileen B
Dear Ms. Aileen B,

Thank you for staying with us at Thompson LES during your last visit to New York City. I am so sorry to hear about your experience and I must apologize for the inconveniences we may have caused.

Please be aware that we are required by law to use only plastic glassware on our roof top bar and pool that explains why your drink was served in a plastic glass. I do agree that you should have been informed at time of your reservation of the closure of our main restaurant.

Ms. Aileen B, we highly value your future patronage and we take your valuable feedback very seriously. While you have mentioned you did enjoy our rooms and décor, I really hope that you will give us another chance at Thompson LES and invite you to be the first ones to experience our full service Blue Ribbon restaurant once it is completed (end of March beginning of April).

Please feel free to contact me directly so I could personally assist you with your next visit.

Once again with renewed apologies I look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I spent a weekend at this property, and enjoyed the stay.
The property is very well kept, has great ambiance, you will enjoy the modern design around the common areas as well as in the guest rooms.
Very helpful courteous staff, great location, within walking distance to Soho!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank oibarra3
Danville, CA
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Got a great deal using the Hotel Tonight app. Really enjoyed the property - definitely is an ultra-modern hip hotel. If you only stay at Marriotts or Starwood hotels, you will likely not "get" this place. Likely a bit of a lifestyle shock.

Else, I highly recommend as the customer service was excellent and enjoyed the great location to walk to SoHo in minutes.

Definitely will be back my next time in the Big Apple.

3 Thank Putt4Doe
Tania G, General Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Putt4Doe,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our style and find our location to be convenient.

For future visits, you may contact us directly and I can assure you my team will offer you the best rate available while attending to all the details of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Thompson LES in the near future and in the interim, please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.