1,272 results
All reviewslower east sideblue ribbonallen streetkatz's delioutdoor pooleast villagenew yorkking suitecool hotelbars and restaurantsrain showerfreedom towerwhole foodsgreat neighborhoodthe penthousearound the corneran upgrade
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We enjoyed our studio king suite. The room was smartly decorated and very spacious for NYC but the actual room showed a bit more wear than I would expect for a newer hotel. The room was clean, quiet, the linens were excellent and the bed was very comfortable. On our second day our room was not cleaned even though we were out all day. We informed management as we left for dinner and our room was clean when we returned that night along with a nice bottle of complimentary champagne. My biggest complaint about this hotel is the elevators. They were a complete nightmare. Over our 3 day stay they rarely operated normally. We found our ourselves waiting about 3 to 5 minutes for an elevator at times. Once, after using the gym (located in the basement) we could not get an elevator. We ended up going through the back services area where an employee had to call the lobby to send the elevator down. While on the subject of the gym, I would have preferred it be located off the pool area instead of in the dark basement but the gym equipment was adequate for a hotel of this size. The pool area was nice but it was drained when we woke up after our first night and it remained drained for the duration of our stay. I am giving the hotel just an average rating because of the service/maintenance issues.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1SFTripster
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I was looking for a hotel with an outdoor pool because I was there during July. Few hotels in NYC have outdoor pools, and the other ones that I found were outrageously expensive. The Thompson LES was a good price and I love the LES. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. The pool gets crowded in late afternoon so get there early.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights recently. The location is great adn we loved LES generally. The room faciltiies were fine and the bed comortable. Our request for a quiet room was met in that we were on the 9th floor on the pool side so away from any noisy bar area. The pool staff were very nice but the fact that the pool areaconverts to a bar in the early evening is a bit off putting especially on hot days. It was also being used for a private event one afternoon when we wanted a swim. The food in the Japanese restaurant was nice but I had the most expensive beer I have ever had there $15 ! The gym has great equipment and was very good and great for a workout. The front of house are all beautiful and very friendly/helpful but I felt 20 years too old as lots of local young cool people frequest the bars. Would I recommend the LES ? Yes with thes provisos I mentioned. The area is great with lots of fun bars and restaurants, close to Chinatown and Little Italy.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the pool side of the building
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank UKaussie
Reviewed 23 July 2012

After a couple of days of hotel bloopers, I finally arrived at the Thompson. Bronco, the lovely guy at the front desk, personally assisted me during the days before I arrived on the phone, trying to get me a room. I felt like he was my personal travel assistant by the time I checked in. He also upgraded me to a fabulous room, 1002 (i think). In fact, after three days at the Thompson I felt like I had made several new friends because the staff were so real and helpful. From the security man at the pool party, to the totally awesome guy who heads the housekeeping department, I have never been treated so kindly. All this, and I was only staying there because of the neighborhood. If you want hipster 'tude, go somewhere else, because the staff at the Thompson are as sweet as a Midwestern mother. Only complaint, what's with those elevators?

Room Tip: Tenth floor, pool side of the hotel facing east. Suite!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ritameta9
Reviewed 22 July 2012

It's 2am Sunday morning as I lie in bed unable to sleep thanks to the pounding music emanating from the 7th floor.I have stayed in this property close to 20 times as I truly love the neighborhood.Despite speaking to the front desk manager for a double bedded room as my niece was visiting from Australia for the first time they were unable to accommodate me.The lack of an upgrade to a loyal customer, not even the courtesy of a note welcoming me back(forget about an amenity that most upscale hotels reward their frequent clientele) makes me wonder do they really want their customers back?
I used to love the Thompson LES , now it's just a hotel I used to know(that's the song they are playing!)

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlying the 7th floor on the west side, better still avoid period!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family