“Fantastic hotel BUT- don't get excited about the pool”
Review of SIXTY LES

SIXTY LES
Ranked #230 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We spent more than a week at the Thompson and loved many things about it:

- staff who were friendly and great with kids ,
- vibrant location excellent for food, sightseeing and shopping
- good views
- spacious clean rooms
- close to public transport
- really comfortable beds and lovely linen
- beds turned down and chocolate treats each day
- nice toiletries

There were really only two negatives :

1.noise from a building site at the back of the hotel . Ths was not a massive issue as we were out for most of the day and although we thought about it one morning , it wasn't so bad that we needed to change rooms.
2. the big prob - not many NYC hotels seem to have a pool so we were pretty keen to utilise it , it being Summer and us being a party of two adults and two children .The day we arrived there was a private party at the pool and there was a queue of party goers at the front door trying to get into the pool. We were told that we could use it if we really ,really wanted to but it was" full" and it was "private" and "the kids wouldnt enjoy it much" - suffice it to say, we did read between the lines ....
It was busy with non guests most days. Basically it's a public pool and management need to let guests know that's how it operates. It is not a guest only pool and it is misleading for the hotel to suggest otherwise.
Also the pool hours are ridiculous - it didn't open until 9am during the week and was closed by 4 or 5pm .Business hours for a pool....in summer ?? When I am on holiday I want to be able to go for a swim before ,after and during a day out.
I don't want to pay for a pool that I can't use.
In conclusion , the pool is a big hoax. On the whole , this is a great hotel but don't let the pool be the reason you choose this hotel over another.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank happycamper014
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thorough review. We are all very sorry if the construction in the area and the pool set up took away from your enjoyment of our property; however, we are glad to see that you enjoyed your overall experience.

Regarding the pool, every day really is different. We encourage all travelers who are booking our property specifically because of our pool, to reach out in advance to see if there are any events planned during that time. Additionally, if someone would like to use the pool at a time we do not have a lifeguarded scheduled, it is possible for us to make adjustments with some notice. Just let us know when you make your reservation.

We hope you had a safe journey home to Australia and when the times comes for you to return to New York, please reach out to us in advance, as we would love to set you up for another great experience.

jkavanagh@thompsonhotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,219)

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Thompson LES. The rooms have an AMAZING view! Love the stylish design, the bathrooms are also great. We really enjoyed the amenities (which i usually don't like in hotels) and the staff was very kind. The location is great and within walking distance of lots of cool shops. The only thing we didn't like is that you have to pay an exorbitant price for the internet. In this day and age, every hotel should have a free wifi connection.
Would definitely stay there again, although i have other favorite hotels in NYC. Would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in the LES.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I'm a semi-regular at the Thompson LES because it's one of the few places in NYC where I can get a decent-sized suite for a reasonable price. I NEVER have any problems at this hotel and this visit was no different.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2013

To start my day out, I was at another hotel in the city who informed me my room was not available due to an incident. They then moved me to the Thompson LES to accommodate my stay. The Greeting at the door at the Thompson was unbelievable I felt comforted from the staff and reassured I would be well taken care of there. Miguel was excellent not only did he take care of my room situation but he offered me an upgrade to my room and provided me with a shaving kit as I was in need of a cleanup to be at a meeting across town. The service and style of this hotel was amazing, I am an avid traveler and always on the run for business. I have passed the word around via word of mouth and social media that this is the place to stay in NYC. Kudos to their staff and management. I will absolutely stay here and only here in the future!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you so much for the great review! We’re so glad we were able to turn things around for you and give you a great experience.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I've been to NYC more times then I can count and have stayed in many different hotels from uptown to Brooklyn. This place is pretty decent, I liked that it was across the street from the 2nd St. subway, the Jr. suite we reserved was a nice size for the three of us, we had a pull out bed, and the doormen were always pleasant and had a couple nice recommendations. But, the negatives were many. The bed was rock hard, and the pull out sofa was as well. The lighting in the room was a bit ridiculous. We had two glaring lights on the side of our bed and where our luggage was stored there wasn't any lighting above, so we couldn't see into our bags unless the curtains were completely open to the day light. The pool is very small, that's fine, at least they have a pool, but do expect a big party on Sunday during the summer. We arrived after 4:30 PM and our room wasn't ready. They gave us a couple of drink coupons while we waited. Not what you want to do after getting up really early to catch a flight on the other side of the coast. The front desk women were not the friendliest. This is a hotel that is modern and a good choice for twenty somethings who are partying...maybe not the best choice for a family. Pro-there are a couple of great bagel places (one of them the famous Russ and Daughters) very close by the hotel. Con-no coffee in the room, no welcome water unless you want to pay 8 bucks for it. Wouldn't stay again but did like the convenience of the location. Also, be aware, construction is going on to the south of the hotel. Our room looked over the site and it wasn't too terrible but in the mornings we could hear hammering etc...again, it wasn't awful but not exactly pleasant either. But, in NY there is always construction, especially in the developing LES.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Summerblue

Thank you very much for choosing to share your experience. We are very sorry about the few misses we had; however, we are glad to see that you enjoyed your overall stay.

We have many different room types and every weekend is different, so please reach out to us the next time your plans bring you to NYC, and we’ll be sure to set you up for a great experience.

Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We found this hotel on the Internet and knew nothing about it or the location. Talk about pleasantly surprised, from the moment we walked in we were treated like totality. Great service from everyone in the hotel plus they recommended two awesome restaurants while we were there. "Miller's Near and Far" was a local, tiny restaurant less than a block away a total blow away for dinner. Enjoy the hotel and don't miss ... "Miller's Near and Far" for great farm to table cooking on the lower east side!

• Stayed: August 2013

We’re so glad you had a great time. Thank you very much for sharing.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I spend my bachelorette at the Thompson, LES. The rooms were great - nice size and very clean. The shower and toiletries were fabulous. However, the service was poor. In the elevator, a staff member made a rude comment about bachelorette parties to my friends and I, inferring that they are annoying to deal with. Furthermore, after asking and confirming with concierge that our couch be turned down into a bed, it was not done. When we arrived back at the hotel around 3 AM, security came in to fix the bed - He poorly and apathetically made the bed, which I understand as it is not his job to do so, however, it was the hotel's fault, not ours. Upon check out, they screwed up the charges, which were returned, however, I, the bride to me, was charged for one of the rooms and had to call back several times to ensure the charges were taken care of.

On another note, the staff in charge of parking and greeting were very nice and helpful.

I would go back due to nice rooms and cleanliness, however, would be more prepared to deal with attitudes.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends