“terrible bed ,great staff”
Review of SIXTY LES

SIXTY LES
Ranked #235 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 June 2009

The decor has a mod cool factor .The staff extremely accommodating ,warm & inviting.Then we checked into our room .Very Very small.,Bed futon like just elevated inches off the floor.Rain shower no tub bathroom. No fridge just some mini bar box that never gets cold. The worst sleep because the bed was so uncomfortable. The pool was not set up even though it was hot out.No towels,or beds on top of the lounge chairs. Wouldn't rush back to spite being in a cool neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,216)

Reviewed 16 June 2009

We visited the Thompson LES as a long-weekend trip to New York. Me and my girlfriend absolutely loved the hotel!

Service at the checkin was really good!. The frontoffice-desk-guy pointed out some good coffeeplaces in the neighbourhood and arranged that our suitcases would be taken to our room. The checkin was as smooth as it should be. The doorman always held the door open for us and asked if he could arrange for a cab. We felt very welcome at the hotel!

Our room was absolutely amazing. We booked a King Superiour. The room had a balcony with stunning views of the LES and Manhattan Skyline (from CBD to Empire Statebuilding, Brooklyn Bridge, Chrysler Building etc). The room wasn't superbig, but for NY standards average. The flatscreen tv had a lot of options, information about the neighbourhood, HDtvchannels, OnDemand movies etc.

The Lower EastSide is a nice neighbourhood to explore. It features lots of bars and restaurants. There was a nice Italian restaurant right next door to the hotel.

We would definitley stay at the Thompson LES when we visit NY again in the future!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Monterik
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Small reception, friendly staff, tiny rooms - well enough equipped but I just found my room too cramped, with nowhere to put your stuff. I was only there one night, if I'd been there for longer (or with someone else) I would have found it very claustrophobic.

Like most Thompson hotels, it's very dark and cool with nice trendy amenities in the shower, but does lack some of the services you'd find in a Hyatt or Sheraton. Form over function, a bit.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2009

We stayed at the LES for 3 days as part of our honeymoon.

First impressions were not great, as the entrance is very understated and the reception is very small.

We stayed in a King Suite and were very impressed. The room was large and very modern. The Floor to ceiling windows let all the light in (although they did not open).

The bed was fantastic, with the best linen I have ever slept in.

Bathroom is roomy and again very modern. The shower is amazing and the bath is big enough for a family (but that would be wierd).

The area itself is great, with a GREAT breakfast place next door, plenty of restaurants and bars in the immediate vicinity, across the road from the subway and a 10 minute walk to the centre of SOHO.

One gripe I would make is that the bar is very expensive, but so was NYC on the whole. We ventured up to the bar one evening for a pre meal drink and got told it was closed for a private function.

The hotel is also quite noisy...you can hear the noise of the bar upstairs, and the walls are so thin that you can hear reception giving next door a wake up call!!

I would not recommend this hotel for NYC first timers, but instead for those who want to avoid the tourist traps and opt for chilling out in the bohemian surroundings of the LES.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rocko69
Reviewed 10 June 2009

I recently went for an extended stay in NYC for business. After a week, my partner joined me, we moved together uptown. I wished I had stayed put. I had stayed at other Thompson hotels, and LES is my favorite. The staff went out of their way to make my visit extraordinary. My Studio King Suite was impeccably clean, comfortable - and the rain shower was just out of this world. The area is terrific. I know NYC well, and I found staying in this are to be fun - thrilling. Most of my business was midtown, and plenty of taxis were available and the "F" train conveniently across the street. About a block away there was a huge Whole Foods Market - and at the corner a gem of a deli called Sugar where I could get my morning bagel. I cannot say enough about the staff. And the restaurant - SHANG - is the best! I love this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank rogerad
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Let me say we got a great deal for a King suite at 166 a night, with a restaurant credit. The location is unbeatable. There are great cafes and bars all around. Check in was easy, and the staff was great. I requested a room on a higher floor, and had to wait until about 4 to get in. The room was nice, very modern looking. The beds are a nightmare. I think Europeans, like my husband, are used to sleeping on VERY firm mattresses, but I am not. The linens included no flat sheet, just a comforter. My husband is used to this, I thought it was a nightmare, as I was always either too hot or cold. The view was nice, with floor to ceiling windows. The lights are on dimmers, and take some fumbling to get them working. The minibar is well stocked.

Breakfast in the hotel is subpar, and expensive. Go somewhere else. The restaurant is nice looking, but service stinks, and the food is mediocre at best.

Here come the concerning parts. Our second night, my husband's key stopped working, so he stopped at the front desk to get a new one. It was about midnight, and the receptionist was on a personal call, took his key, asked what room number, and just reprogrammed it. She did not ask for his ID, or even his name. He could have found that key on the street!
Our room was never cleaned. We arrived on a Thurs. Fri, we left the room at noon, and came back at 7, to a dirty room. We figured we may have missed the cleaning window, so we didn't complain. Sat, we left at 8, and came back at 6, to a dirty room. We called down to complain, and ask for at least some new towels. The irony, the minibar was magically checked and restocked each day. Hmmm.
That Sat night, we made it an early night, and around 10:30 pm, someone tried to get in our room, using a key. They knocked, but did not announce who they were. I cannot fathom ANY reason a staff member would be in a guests' room at that hour!

Checkout was quick, though they made a mistake with the bill. The hotel is just okay, but with the subpar service, I would never stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Had a great week-long stay here: rooms are small but well-equipped and they all have fantastic views over Lower East Side by virtue of the fact that the building stands several storeys higher than anything else in the area. Very designer-led with great back-lit headboards above the beds. It's a great area and you can walk from the hotel to SoHo, Brooklyn Bridge, Chinatown, Financial District and even Mid-town as long as you're prepared to spend the hour walking there.
Only downsides would be lack of a bath (in mid-range rooms), expense and staff service. Although we didn't have much cause to speak to reception, we did ask them to book our pre-paid shuttle service back to the airport, and gave them our receipt with the telephone number and booking ref on. The head concierge booked the wrong shuttle without realising, which meant we were waiting 90mins for a non-existent shuttle, before having to catch a taxi at our own cost in order to make our flight in time. All email correspondence since has been met with a wall of silence! So although I would probably stay here again for the location, I would prefer not to ask reception for anything and would certainly organise all travel arrangements myself!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple