“One of the best stays in NYC”
Review of SIXTY LES

SIXTY LES
Ranked #158 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Thompson Les is just awesome. We arrived the day after the blizzard with our young son and they were so friendly and attentive! We had the King studio suite and it was AWESOME! Great size, amazing shower, out of this world view of the LES. I did not think it was too dark at all but very soothing however I can some people thinking that.. it's just a matter of preference. For me, it was perfect. Everything I asked for was delivered with perfection. The concierge service was also exemplary, They got us everything we wanted including a great sitter for our child through the best service in NYC for them. I felt very much at home there. It was super chic, stylish and cool but NEVER snooty that is of course aside from the manager from Above Allen. We had a few complaints about our New Years Eve experience with the bar and although neither the bar or the hotel was responsible for throwing the party.. the name of the bar and hotel is used to sell the tickets so it would have been nice for this person to at least feign a degree of interest in our complaints and maybe some empathy we had to have such an unpleasant experience. Mr. or Ms. Chien showed neither. I take away one star for having such a rude person be the manager at a bar at your hotel. This ridiculous trend of hotels claiming to be different businesses than the lounges on their premises and therefore not accepting any responsibility for any bad experiences you have there or don't have there because sometimes you can't even get in (i.e. standard) is offensive to it's patrons. Those bars pay them money to have their bar there and they benefit from any allure the bar brings. But aside from that.. Thompson LES Rocked. I would recommend it to everyone I know. But I would never recommend it for New Years Eve.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for SIXTY LES

Reviewed 3 January 2011

The front desk was very helpful in directing me to some amazing places (for late night food, music etc.). The room was cushy, unique and beautiful, with a great view, and the bar was fantastic. The shower was heavenly!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank sselhorst
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I recently completed a three day stay at the Thompson LES. This was my first stay at the Thompson, we usually stay at the Giraffe when visiting Manhattan, but for a variety of reasons decided to try the Thompson for this visit. We stayed in a King Suite.
First the positives: The room (by Manhattan standards) was quite large, it was clean and well designed with adequate storage, our room was very quiet, the fixtures and furnishings are well designed and very contemporary. The staff was very efficient and responded quickly to all inquiries. There are many restaurants, shops and a great little movie theater within easy walking distance.
In explaining my negatives, I should point out I am a senior citizen and my negatives may not be important to other people. First, the lobby has all the warmth and ambiance of a cement factory (concrete floors, ceilings and tile walls). Black and dark gray are the predominant colors throughout the hotel and the low level lighting made it feel as if I was constantly in the twilight zone. The room is constructed primarily of concrete and tile in black or dark gray. Even the wood floors are black. If Johnny Cash walked in the room you probably wouldn't be able to find him. I felt like I should be carrying a flashlight to find the correct button in the elevator; however, the Fellini black and white movies constantly showing in the elevator were interesting. With the lights set at the brightest, I could not comfortably read in the room, except in bed - and that light was difficult to direct. All the lighting was either recessed ceiling, bare bulb or spotlight type with the exception of one small low wattage lamp. There is a small lobby seating area on the second floor which we were told we could use but it has more the feel of a cocktail lounge than an area you would relax and read the paper or enjoy a cup of coffee. The only food service is an Asian restaurant located on the second floor which we tried the first evening. The chef had received very good reviews but we found the food unremarkable. And speaking of coffee, you could get breakfast at the bar area on the second floor but since it wasn't very inviting, I went to one of the nearby delis for morning coffee (no problem unless it's freezing or snowing out). Complimentary coffee to go with the complimentary newspaper would be a nice addition.
While the hotel is not my favorite - other people may find it to their taste.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Just returned from a 5 night stay at Thompson Les. I normally have to stay in midtown for work (too many people/tourists for me), but was so happy to be able to stay on the lower east side this visit. The hotel has a fantastic location... within walking distance to amazing restaurants, sights and shops. I stayed in a king jr suite with a friend and it was a really nice room. My first impression was that it was a little too cave like for me, but it won me over as I settled in. We were on the 11th floor and the view was outstanding. The bed was wonderful and the bathroom shower was really cool. The hotel staff was great and helpful too. However, I had the unfortunate experience of being situated next to a party animal who decided to have all-nighters two nights in a row. The hotel was pretty good at shutting it down both nights, but not before I was woken to the sounds of constant slamming doors, loud voices/music and the smell of smoke. For that reason I think I would try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I just spent two nights at this hotel and am OVERLY pleased with the service, cleanliness, location and everything.. Really truly wonderful. I'm not sure what happened with the folks on here who said they got horrible service because everyone was so pleasant, nice, and helpful to us. The room was upgraded for free since they had extra space available and I got a discounted rate for staying a second night. While it's still an expensive hotel, I think it was well worth it to be at this amazing location, in such a stylish and fun atmosphere. I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2010

We travel frequently - this is the 3rd trip to NYC in 3 weeks. We were just in Rome and London. We've been to this hotel 3 times. Each time we have terrible service, but we love the location so we keep giving them another chance. During this current stay it's clear we should only ever expect the poor service we've grown accustomed to here.

There are two of us in a room. Today, we realized they removed the one robe we had been sharing and only left us with one medium-sized towel. We called three times to get a second towel that never came. This was after we left housekeeping a large tip yesterday. Apparently if you leave a tip, they don't want you to shower again.

We tried renting a movie, there was something wrong with our TV, we called the front desk, they asked to send someone up to the room - who never came. So, we asked them to remove the movie we couldn't watch from our bill. They couldn't do it.

We had a friend come stay with us at the last minute. We asked housekeeping if they would make up the extra bed. And of course, we left a tip for this. They never made up the bed. We called that night to ask for bedding to make the bed ourselves, they brought up one sheet, no blanket, no pillow.

Don't stay here - there are plenty of options nearby with better value that will make you feel much more welcome than this place.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank LYSF3450
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Normally, my husband and I stay in Midtown Manhattan - East, but on the advice of friends that live in NYC we stayed at the Thompson LES. First impressions of the hotel is that it is extremely modern and extremely "hip." The front desk staff was not overly friendly or attentive. The room we received was small, but it's the city and that's to be expected. We were on the 18th floor and had a gorgeous view of the lower east side. My favorite part of the room was the shower in the bathroom - it happened to be very spa-like and we both appreciated that. Housekeeping staff was virtually non-existent. We left the room at 9am and returned at 4pm and the room was still not made up - until we called the front desk and requested it be cleaned. No apologies were made for housekeeping "overlooking" our room. The best feature of the hotel is their outside bar area - it's a very cool crowd, but it's a fun place to have drinks with friends. I would not rush to stay there again, but it was an okay experience overall.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple