“Great as always”

SIXTY LES
Ranked #158 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 January 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Thompson LES six or so times since it opened and have always been very pleased. Having lived in NYC for many years, we now call LA home but are back frequently for business and to visit friends. Here are the great things about the hotel: location (wonderful restaurants, shops and bars on literally every block), rooms (always clean, well-styled, comfortable beds and great toiletries) and the staff is wonderful. Here are the cons: it can be a noisy hotel depending on your floor, proximity to the elevator and night of the week. If you end up in a smaller room it can seem pricey for what you're getting. The surrounding neighborhood can turn into a hotbed of partying twenty-somethings on weekends. Great hotel for people who are more urban or artistically minded, but I wouldn't recommend it to my grandmother.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for SIXTY LES

Reviewed 11 January 2011

Stayed for a week here on a business trip. Location is fantastic. Staff were very friendly if a little unreliable (slow restaurant/breakfast service, plus a few late wake up calls). Had to change room after the first night because of terrible noise on the 7th floor where there is a very loud and slightly crap club/bar. After that the noise was fine, but other people said their rooms got a fair bit of noise. Room decor is dark and boutiquey (concrete ceilings and chain-mail curtains in room), but it's all new and comfy. It's pretty expensive though. Couldn't afford to stay here if i was paying. Also found the other clientele a bit annoying and try-hard. I guess i'm getting old.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Stayed once again due to to the great location, large hotel rooms for the price and the wonderful front desk and other staff folks - was not disappointed. This time found what they call the spa - what I found was an awesome fitness center - last time around the weather was fine so the run was outside - this time there was a blizzard and the staff let me know they had a few treadmills on the lower level - it was more than a few treadmills! Cannot wait to go back in a few months. This place is great

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Thompson Les is just awesome. We arrived the day after the blizzard with our young son and they were so friendly and attentive! We had the King studio suite and it was AWESOME! Great size, amazing shower, out of this world view of the LES. I did not think it was too dark at all but very soothing however I can some people thinking that.. it's just a matter of preference. For me, it was perfect. Everything I asked for was delivered with perfection. The concierge service was also exemplary, They got us everything we wanted including a great sitter for our child through the best service in NYC for them. I felt very much at home there. It was super chic, stylish and cool but NEVER snooty that is of course aside from the manager from Above Allen. We had a few complaints about our New Years Eve experience with the bar and although neither the bar or the hotel was responsible for throwing the party.. the name of the bar and hotel is used to sell the tickets so it would have been nice for this person to at least feign a degree of interest in our complaints and maybe some empathy we had to have such an unpleasant experience. Mr. or Ms. Chien showed neither. I take away one star for having such a rude person be the manager at a bar at your hotel. This ridiculous trend of hotels claiming to be different businesses than the lounges on their premises and therefore not accepting any responsibility for any bad experiences you have there or don't have there because sometimes you can't even get in (i.e. standard) is offensive to it's patrons. Those bars pay them money to have their bar there and they benefit from any allure the bar brings. But aside from that.. Thompson LES Rocked. I would recommend it to everyone I know. But I would never recommend it for New Years Eve.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2011

The front desk was very helpful in directing me to some amazing places (for late night food, music etc.). The room was cushy, unique and beautiful, with a great view, and the bar was fantastic. The shower was heavenly!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank sselhorst
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I recently completed a three day stay at the Thompson LES. This was my first stay at the Thompson, we usually stay at the Giraffe when visiting Manhattan, but for a variety of reasons decided to try the Thompson for this visit. We stayed in a King Suite.
First the positives: The room (by Manhattan standards) was quite large, it was clean and well designed with adequate storage, our room was very quiet, the fixtures and furnishings are well designed and very contemporary. The staff was very efficient and responded quickly to all inquiries. There are many restaurants, shops and a great little movie theater within easy walking distance.
In explaining my negatives, I should point out I am a senior citizen and my negatives may not be important to other people. First, the lobby has all the warmth and ambiance of a cement factory (concrete floors, ceilings and tile walls). Black and dark gray are the predominant colors throughout the hotel and the low level lighting made it feel as if I was constantly in the twilight zone. The room is constructed primarily of concrete and tile in black or dark gray. Even the wood floors are black. If Johnny Cash walked in the room you probably wouldn't be able to find him. I felt like I should be carrying a flashlight to find the correct button in the elevator; however, the Fellini black and white movies constantly showing in the elevator were interesting. With the lights set at the brightest, I could not comfortably read in the room, except in bed - and that light was difficult to direct. All the lighting was either recessed ceiling, bare bulb or spotlight type with the exception of one small low wattage lamp. There is a small lobby seating area on the second floor which we were told we could use but it has more the feel of a cocktail lounge than an area you would relax and read the paper or enjoy a cup of coffee. The only food service is an Asian restaurant located on the second floor which we tried the first evening. The chef had received very good reviews but we found the food unremarkable. And speaking of coffee, you could get breakfast at the bar area on the second floor but since it wasn't very inviting, I went to one of the nearby delis for morning coffee (no problem unless it's freezing or snowing out). Complimentary coffee to go with the complimentary newspaper would be a nice addition.
While the hotel is not my favorite - other people may find it to their taste.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Just returned from a 5 night stay at Thompson Les. I normally have to stay in midtown for work (too many people/tourists for me), but was so happy to be able to stay on the lower east side this visit. The hotel has a fantastic location... within walking distance to amazing restaurants, sights and shops. I stayed in a king jr suite with a friend and it was a really nice room. My first impression was that it was a little too cave like for me, but it won me over as I settled in. We were on the 11th floor and the view was outstanding. The bed was wonderful and the bathroom shower was really cool. The hotel staff was great and helpful too. However, I had the unfortunate experience of being situated next to a party animal who decided to have all-nighters two nights in a row. The hotel was pretty good at shutting it down both nights, but not before I was woken to the sounds of constant slamming doors, loud voices/music and the smell of smoke. For that reason I think I would try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends