“A fabulous hotel, with some MAJOR service problems”

Omni Berkshire Place
Ranked #102 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Pickering, Canada
“A fabulous hotel, with some MAJOR service problems”
Reviewed 22 January 2011

We stayed at the Omni for my birthday - Dec 18th to 21st - and the stay overall was not great.

Our flight arrived very early in NY, and we had requested an early check-in, knowing that this was of course, only a request and not a guarantee. Sure enough, when we arrived at 8am, there was nothing available in our room category. The gentleman assured us he would call my cellular the moment a room became available, and off we went breakfast and a bus tour of the city.

After completing our fun and enjoyable bus tour, we arrived back at the hotel at 1pm. I approach the same man at the front desk, and again ask if our room is ready (after all, it had been 5 HOURS since we arrived). He shuffles around some papers, then looks on the computer and tells me that nothing is available yet in our room category. I have worked in the hotel industry for many, many years, so I know that there is NO WAY that not one "premium king room" has checked out all day and been cleaned! The fact is that this guy simply forgot we were waiting for the first available premium room, and did not call us, or hold a room for us.

When I point this out to him, he gives us a coupon for two drinks in the hotel bar, and suggests we have a cocktail while we wait. And boy, wait is what we did! We were seated in the bar, then waited, and waited, and waited.... the server just simply never came. I approached the bartender, and he then summoned the hostess, who then sent over a server. After we order drinks and some appetizers, he disappeared again. We had to go back to the bartender to get a bill. The bartender was also very aware of the server's absence, and said "I guess he's just too busy...." (he was making a joke because there was only one other table occupied in the restaurant). I made sure not to tip... after all, who and what service was I tipping???

We finally got our room - and it was fabulous! The room was large, the bathroom magnificant, and had a lovely city view. We were on the top floor - room 2104, I believe. The hotel left a small cake, balloons and bottled water with a small Happy Birthday note for me..... but, also left the same in our room for someone named "Mathew"???? It was clearly not meant for us, and the hotel has the names of the guests registered in that room, so I'm confused as to why they would bother to leave it in our room.

The next morning is when my true frustration and anger began. The hotel advertises wi-fi... however, it was NOT accessible on our floor. I had urgent work to attend to, and absolutely had to log in with my own laptop. I spent 2 hours in my room, working with the hotels "technical customer service" to trouble shoot the problem. In the end, the technician said the problem is at the hotel level, and not my computer, and he would log a "work ticket".

So, I called the front desk to see if there was somewhere in the hotel I could plug in to the internet. I was directed to the computers in the business center. Guess what? There is NO WIRELESS ACCESS on the business center floor! And absolutely no where to hard wire in. AND no concierge working at the welcome desk in the work centre to help out!

So, again I called the front desk. At this point I am beyond frustrated, and very upset. The staff again tell me that it's my computer and no other guest has complained about the lack of wi-fi at their hotel. After I continued to press them for an alternative, an internet cafe, anything at all (I absolutely HAD to get this work inputed), he finally told me that the hotel lobby had wi-fi.

Can I just tell you how much fun it was to sit on the corner of a couch, in the middle of the lobby for 6 HOURS working? It was a Sunday morning, so there was a great number of people checking out, the front doors propped open continually filling the lobby with frigid December air, not to mention the families and kids that joined me on the couch while I was trying to work. So, clearly it was NOT my computer, as it worked just fine on the ground floor.

I simply CANNOT believe that this was Omni's solution to their lack of internet service! It was disgusting to be treated so poorly when you are paying so much for a room!

The location was great, walking distance to everything.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnandEmily_10
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Berkshire Place, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
It was very disappointing for us to read about your experience at The Omni Berkshire Place. There is certainly no excuse for the lapses in service or wifi connection. We do apologize for all of the issues that you encountered and we will reach out to you privately to discuss further. It is our hope that you will consider returning so that we may have the opportunity to provide you with the stay that you initially deserved.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
US
Reviewed 19 January 2011

We got a great deal at this hotel so I feel I can complain too much. But if I had paid full price I would be unhappy with a few things.

The bathroom was a bit dirty...hair in the tub, a ring on the side of tub from someone's drink before us, and was a just a bit beaten up. There was a dirty towel in the bathroom. It looked like someone had just wiped their hands on it while it was on the rack and in effort to "be green" they don't wash unless it's on the floor. I think it's unsanitary to not change all towels between guests whether the "look" like they've been used or not. That being said, I'm sure the Omni is not the hotel hotel doing that...it's probably quite typical but unacceptable.

The worst thing about this room was the heat. This room was so hot we could not sleep. We turned off the heat and even cracked the window as much as possible and it was still 78.4 degrees when we woke the next day. The head of housekeeping was very nice and apologetic and sent someone to fix it, but he clearly didn't know the first thing about it and said there was nothing he could do. We asked to change rooms and the front desk allowed us to change but acted like we had inconvenienced them. The room we were moved to was significantly smaller and not as nice but at that point we just wanted to be able to breathe. At that point I was underwhelmed with the service, but they did redeem themselves later with a complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries...which were wonderful.

There are no coffee makers in the rooms but if you are a select member they will bring beverages to your room in the morning which is a very nice perk.

The gym was ok but not impressive. The beds are comfy. The location is great and overall we had a good experience and for the right price would return again.

1 Thank travelincritic
Thank you for your feedback both positive and negative from your recent stay at The Omni Berkshire Place. We do apologize that the room was not up to our normally stringent housekeeping standards which do include changing out all towels between each guest. We are glad that in the end you felt satisfied with your stay but hope that you will return for a stay that is good from start to finish!
Bracknell, UK
Reviewed 19 January 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in June 2009 in a premier king room and loved every minute of it. Of course NYC doesn't need any introduction, but The Omni Berkshire Place is a fantastic hotel in a great mid-town location. The rooms are very clean and modern with plenty of space, and the beds are very comfortable - nice firm mattresses. The service is great - they bent over backwards to accommodate any requests, including contacting a restaurant that we had reservations at to let them know we were running half an hour late, and to check that we would still have a table.

As I said, the location couldn't be better if you're looking to explore Manhattan as it's right in the middle of everything, and especially if you're there for the shopping as it's right off 5th avenue, and only a 15 minute walk up to Maceys. The park is about 5 minutes away, and Times Square is about the same.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your complimentary review of The Omni Berkshire Place. We are glad you were well taken care of by our associates and enjoyed our convenient Midtown location. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 January 2011

We stayed at the Omni Berkshire for a Saturday night out following a matinee. We arrived at the hotel approximately noon, and they already had our room read (a perk of being a Omni Select Guest?). It was on the 16th floor away from the elevators and we were upgraded to a premier room. The room was very clean and quite large (360 sq. ft. according to the website).

The bed was quite comfortable and the shower had excellent water pressure. On Sunday morning, we decided that we did not want to eat in the hotel restaurant (Fireside) because we did not want fancy breakfasts, nor did we want to pay hotel restaurant prices. The concierge, who told us she lives in the neighborhood, recommended a wonderful dinner about a 10 or 15 minute walk away on 1st Avenue and 53rd Street (Madison Restaurant).

Overall, I would absolutely stay at the Omni again. Although I doubt I will ever be able to beat the Cyber Monday $99 rate I got (back in November), I would easily pay more for the level of service, location, and quality of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience at The Omni Berkshire Place. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Understated elegance, outstanding service, fabulous location, classic yet modern....really perfect in every aspect. Great value in NYC.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your complimentary review. We are glad you had an outstanding stay!
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 5 days, and the stay was faultless. Check-in was speedy and efficient, the room was spacious and well appointed. The bathroom was a good size, and the housekeeping was of an excellent standard. We had signed up to the Select Guest Programme prior to our visit, and the little "perks" that came with this were excellent, for example, we had complimentary beverages of our choice delivered to the room at a time of our choosing throughout our stay, and we were also afforded free wifi, which was of great benefit. Having visited New York on a number of occasions, and having previously stayed at the Waldorf Astoria, I could not recommend a better hotel for location. We would definitely stay at this hotel again on any return visit.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recommendation of The Omni Berkshire Place! We are glad you had such an enjoyable stay and we hope you will return again soon.
Boston, MA
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We booked this weekend from the Cyber Monday sale $99/night and we could not have been happier! We were obviously a bit leary of the $99 sale thinking we'd be put in the smallest room - but when we checked in Barry at the front desk totally hooked us up with a wonderful Executive King room - it was wonderful after a long day's travel through the snow storm! Then to our delight he sent up a nice bottle of wine and the next day a yummy cheese and fruit plate! The little things definitely go a long way! We love the Omni and would definitely come back again! It is in a perfect location about 5 blocks from Times Sq and 4 from Rockefeller Center.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
It was so nice for us to read that you were well take care of by Barry during your stay at The Omni Berkshire Place. Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and we hope you will be back soon.