“One Magnificent Nice Inn (OMNI)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Berkshire Place

Omni Berkshire Place
Ranked #99 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Hagerstown, Maryland
“One Magnificent Nice Inn (OMNI)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

We stayed at the Omni Berkshire for the weekend. Everything about the trip including the hotel was great. Our room was a corner Madison suite. It was huge! The thing which stuck out most to my wife and I was the level of cleaniness. Both of us are pretty picky about the level of cleanliness. We both travel with lysol, cleaning wipes, anti-bacterial lotion, etc... I can tell you some easy ways to gauge the level of cleanliness is to check the corners in the bathroom or dustiness of lampshades. This room was cleaner than our house. The hotel is not really all that big which is a real plus. It has a nice mid-town location and plenty of elevators for this size hotel. Friends of ours traveling with us stayed at the Marriott Marquis and complained about the elevator wait and availability. There was little noise at night from traffic/other too. Check-in could have been better as there was a bit of confusion since I was redeeming a guest rewards free night plus paying for a night. Check out was easy and quick, I requested a late check out and they had no issue accomodating it. We had breakfast in their restaurant both days. The staff here were very nice (especially Frank). He heard it was my daughter's birthday and arranged for a very nice sweet treat for her. Frank also gave us great advice on how we could get a chance to meet the stars of the broadway show we were attending that night. His advice was great and my daughter and our friends were shocked we got to meet the star of Mary Poppins, have her autograph our programs and posed for pictures with us! Frank is great. The night I paid for included breakfast, when I rec'd a restaurant charge to my room, I figured there was a mistake in applying my breakfast voucher. Immediately after mentioning it to Frank on the second morning, he quickly volunteered to fix it and in a matter of 2-3 minutes had solved the problem. A guest wrote down the wrong room #. Prior to arrival, the concierge staff was also helpful in identifying things for us to do with our children during our stay and emailing them to me. My 12 yr old daughter was so impressed with our stay at the Omni that she wrote a thank you note on Omni stationery before we checked out and left it with the concierge to thank them and all the hotel staff for having a hand in the great time she had. Keep in mind, we stayed here on a fairly quiet weekend. I've stayed at at least 8 different Omni hotels over the years and I can say this is One Magnificent Nice Inn (OMNI).

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Berkshire Place, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
We are thrilled to read about your wonderful stay at The Omni Berkshire Place and are happy to have the opportunity to share all of your kind words with Frank. It is our good fortune to have him as one of our associates! Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and we hope you will be back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Turkish first
South Hadley, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

We had an excellent weekend stay at the Omni. Only one Con to report.

TIP: This has been written in many of the previous reviews, but you really should sign up for Omni’s Select Guest program before your stay. It entitles you to free Wi-Fi in the room, complimentary beverage service delivered each morning and some other perks.

Pros:
The room was large. We had room 2004, which I believe was in the executive studio suite class. Room had a desk, fairly big closet (which had the safe and mini bar as well) and a little reading area with a couple of chairs.

The bathroom was very clean. The shower head was at a decent height for taller people. Water pressure and temperature were good.

The king bed was comfortable. A little short on blankets, but room was warm enough in winter so not an issue.

Pretty decent channel selection on the flat screen TV (including free HBO).

Good location in Midtown. Closest subway stop (E and M) was a block and a half away on 53rd. Also, walking distance to shopping / tourist places.

As far as service, morning beverage service was delivered right at specified time and the coffee / tea was hot (free with Select Guest membership as mentioned above).

Wi-Fi signal was good (also free with Select Guest membership)

Cons:
Walls seem a little thin. We had a “domestic dispute” of some sort in the hallway during our first night. It ended before I had to call the front desk though.

Overall, a great place to stay. We hit the Cyber Monday rate which was a steal.
We didn’t use the Restaurant or the Exercise Room and had little to no interaction with the Concierge, Front Desk, or bell desk.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank germ
Thank you for reviewing The Omni Berkshire Place on TripAdvisor. Signing up for Select Guest is a great tip for anyone staying at our hotel or any other Omni. Please accept our apologies that you experienced a disruption on your first night but we are relieved to hear that it was quickly resolved. We appreciate all of your feedback and hope you will return again soon!
Long Island, N.Y.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

We got a heavily discounted rate for this hotel during their Cyber Monday sale - in fact it was one of the least expensive hotels we have ever stayed at in Manhattan. Conversely, it was probably one of the nicest.

Despite our early arrival, Stephanie checked us into a beautifully decorated room on an upper floor. Our room had a large flat screen tv, armoire with plenty of room for our belongings, fluffy bathrobes for our use, a safe, refrigerator/minibar, and a nice size bathroom with all of the usual amenities.

Within 10 minutes of entering our room, a gentleman from the hotel staff knocked on the door to make sure the room was clean and to our satisfaction.

Having signed up for the Select Guest Loyalty program, we enjoyed such complimentary perks as bottled water, the Sunday NY Times, and in-room wifi. These and more are available even on your first stay.

We had a slight mishap during our visit that was entirely our fault. We thought something was missing from our room and had to call security. The representative was concerned and hurried to our room to assist us. Fortunately the item was only misplaced, but we appreciated the hotel's caring attitude.

Our room was very quiet - we heard nothing from the street, the corridor or other rooms.

We found the concierge to be friendly and helpful - she gave us some great suggestions on local restaurants.

Location was perfect for our needs.

If there was one negative, it was that we did not get much hot water in the morning in the shower. When I called the front desk, I was told to run the water in the sink first, and then the shower. A little quirky, but it worked. After that the temperature and water pressure were great.

We will stay here again. Thanks to all the staff at the Omni Berkshire Place!

1 Thank BargainBuyer
It was a pleasure for us to read about your recent stay at The Omni Berkshire Place. We appreciate all of your compliments and hope you will return soon!
Cornelius, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

Omni Berkshire is in an ideal location for Midtown. 1/2 block up and you're on Fifth Ave, right in the heart of it all and you're only a couple blocks from Rockefeller Center.

The rooms appear to have just been remodeled. The beds are super comfortable, you just sink right into the pillows and duvet...it's like a marshmallow! Flat screen TV's on the wall, simple decor, iPod docking stations. Accessible outlets on the desk and near the bed.

The bathroom has plenty of counter space. My only complaint is the water pressure could be a bit stronger in the shower. It wasn't terrible, but I prefer a bit more.

The bar has a great atmosphere with bar or lounge seating. The staff was great, very friendly and helpful in answering questions. Check-in is very quick, along with check-out. Room service was timely as well and very good.

I would definitely stay here again when traveling to Midtown. You can't beat the service and the location.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mlms1206
We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful location in the heart of Midtown and are glad to read that you found our service levels and rooms to be equally as good. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope you will be back during your next trip to New York.
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

We stayed a couple days in January as private guests. Our room was nice and rather roomy. However the toilets flush did not work and you could not take a bath in the tub as it would not close.
A technician came quite rapidly but had to stay 45 min in our room to get it fixed. No apologies or "treat" / compensation by hotel management.

After having left, we were charged for alleged mini bar fees, on my visa card. These were unaccurate and after intervening the hotel cancelled them. However this should not have happened.

It is a good hotel as it is nicely located. However in total this is not suitable for private (non-business) travellers

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Please accept our apologies for the service lapses you experienced while staying at The Omni Berkshire Place. We do our best to be minimally intrusive when addressing any maintenance issues and regret that our engineer was in your room for longer than anticipated. We also apologize for the minibar charges but are glad to hear they were quickly resolved. We do hope you will consider giving us a second chance as we would appreciate the opportunity to provide you with a stay that exceeds your expectations.
Pickering, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

We stayed at the Omni for my birthday - Dec 18th to 21st - and the stay overall was not great.

Our flight arrived very early in NY, and we had requested an early check-in, knowing that this was of course, only a request and not a guarantee. Sure enough, when we arrived at 8am, there was nothing available in our room category. The gentleman assured us he would call my cellular the moment a room became available, and off we went breakfast and a bus tour of the city.

After completing our fun and enjoyable bus tour, we arrived back at the hotel at 1pm. I approach the same man at the front desk, and again ask if our room is ready (after all, it had been 5 HOURS since we arrived). He shuffles around some papers, then looks on the computer and tells me that nothing is available yet in our room category. I have worked in the hotel industry for many, many years, so I know that there is NO WAY that not one "premium king room" has checked out all day and been cleaned! The fact is that this guy simply forgot we were waiting for the first available premium room, and did not call us, or hold a room for us.

When I point this out to him, he gives us a coupon for two drinks in the hotel bar, and suggests we have a cocktail while we wait. And boy, wait is what we did! We were seated in the bar, then waited, and waited, and waited.... the server just simply never came. I approached the bartender, and he then summoned the hostess, who then sent over a server. After we order drinks and some appetizers, he disappeared again. We had to go back to the bartender to get a bill. The bartender was also very aware of the server's absence, and said "I guess he's just too busy...." (he was making a joke because there was only one other table occupied in the restaurant). I made sure not to tip... after all, who and what service was I tipping???

We finally got our room - and it was fabulous! The room was large, the bathroom magnificant, and had a lovely city view. We were on the top floor - room 2104, I believe. The hotel left a small cake, balloons and bottled water with a small Happy Birthday note for me..... but, also left the same in our room for someone named "Mathew"???? It was clearly not meant for us, and the hotel has the names of the guests registered in that room, so I'm confused as to why they would bother to leave it in our room.

The next morning is when my true frustration and anger began. The hotel advertises wi-fi... however, it was NOT accessible on our floor. I had urgent work to attend to, and absolutely had to log in with my own laptop. I spent 2 hours in my room, working with the hotels "technical customer service" to trouble shoot the problem. In the end, the technician said the problem is at the hotel level, and not my computer, and he would log a "work ticket".

So, I called the front desk to see if there was somewhere in the hotel I could plug in to the internet. I was directed to the computers in the business center. Guess what? There is NO WIRELESS ACCESS on the business center floor! And absolutely no where to hard wire in. AND no concierge working at the welcome desk in the work centre to help out!

So, again I called the front desk. At this point I am beyond frustrated, and very upset. The staff again tell me that it's my computer and no other guest has complained about the lack of wi-fi at their hotel. After I continued to press them for an alternative, an internet cafe, anything at all (I absolutely HAD to get this work inputed), he finally told me that the hotel lobby had wi-fi.

Can I just tell you how much fun it was to sit on the corner of a couch, in the middle of the lobby for 6 HOURS working? It was a Sunday morning, so there was a great number of people checking out, the front doors propped open continually filling the lobby with frigid December air, not to mention the families and kids that joined me on the couch while I was trying to work. So, clearly it was NOT my computer, as it worked just fine on the ground floor.

I simply CANNOT believe that this was Omni's solution to their lack of internet service! It was disgusting to be treated so poorly when you are paying so much for a room!

The location was great, walking distance to everything.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JohnandEmily_10
It was very disappointing for us to read about your experience at The Omni Berkshire Place. There is certainly no excuse for the lapses in service or wifi connection. We do apologize for all of the issues that you encountered and we will reach out to you privately to discuss further. It is our hope that you will consider returning so that we may have the opportunity to provide you with the stay that you initially deserved.
US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

We got a great deal at this hotel so I feel I can complain too much. But if I had paid full price I would be unhappy with a few things.

The bathroom was a bit dirty...hair in the tub, a ring on the side of tub from someone's drink before us, and was a just a bit beaten up. There was a dirty towel in the bathroom. It looked like someone had just wiped their hands on it while it was on the rack and in effort to "be green" they don't wash unless it's on the floor. I think it's unsanitary to not change all towels between guests whether the "look" like they've been used or not. That being said, I'm sure the Omni is not the hotel hotel doing that...it's probably quite typical but unacceptable.

The worst thing about this room was the heat. This room was so hot we could not sleep. We turned off the heat and even cracked the window as much as possible and it was still 78.4 degrees when we woke the next day. The head of housekeeping was very nice and apologetic and sent someone to fix it, but he clearly didn't know the first thing about it and said there was nothing he could do. We asked to change rooms and the front desk allowed us to change but acted like we had inconvenienced them. The room we were moved to was significantly smaller and not as nice but at that point we just wanted to be able to breathe. At that point I was underwhelmed with the service, but they did redeem themselves later with a complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries...which were wonderful.

There are no coffee makers in the rooms but if you are a select member they will bring beverages to your room in the morning which is a very nice perk.

The gym was ok but not impressive. The beds are comfy. The location is great and overall we had a good experience and for the right price would return again.

1 Thank travelincritic
Thank you for your feedback both positive and negative from your recent stay at The Omni Berkshire Place. We do apologize that the room was not up to our normally stringent housekeeping standards which do include changing out all towels between each guest. We are glad that in the end you felt satisfied with your stay but hope that you will return for a stay that is good from start to finish!