“Good small Hotel”

Ranked #42 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Vonore, Tennessee
“Good small Hotel”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The Fitzspatrick is a small upscale hotel located in downtown Manhattan. It is part of a small Hotel Group with Hotels in New York and Dublin, Ireland. Has a European feel to the hotel. They have an joining restaurant (The Fitz) and Bar. The restaurant is fine with a good menu serving meals through the day. The rooms are nice and well decorated distributed over 16 floors.
Only concern I had during my stay is the air conditioning in my room was "weak". I will stay here on my next visit.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 1Timetraveler
Shane C, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear 1 Time traveller,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I know that the team will be thrilled to learn of your kind comments.

On behalf of the hotel thank you for staying with us and I look forward ot welcoming you back to a Fitzpatrick family hotel in New York in the future.

Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
Waterford
Reviewed 26 April 2014

As opposed to many NY hotels Fitzpatrick's is a welcome relief. The room was large, with two double beds, a walk in wardrobe and a well appointed bathroom. The beds were incredibly comfortable. There were little touches that made all the difference, e.g. Cadbury Easter eggs left in our rooms for Easter Sunday. The staff was welcoming and always helpful and accommodating. Obviously this is an Irish hotel but there were several other nationalities who as happy as us Irish. The only thing which I considered annoying was the cost of wifi ($14.99 per day). There is free wifi in the lobby, however the lobby has one sofa a few chairs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura F
Shane C, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Lauar F,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I am thrilled that you found the team "welcoming and helpful". I know that the staff will be delighted to learn of your kind comments.

On behalf of the hotel, thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to a Fitzpatrick family hotel in New York in the future.

Leesburg, Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have been remiss in not writing a glowing review of the Fitzpatrick Manhattan hotel before now. My husband and I stayed here back in November when he ran in the NYC Marathon. It is perfectly located to walk for shopping and Central Park and is also near the subway station. The staff were wonderful, very friendly and charming. The hotel is very cozy and the rooms are quite comfortable. We purchased a 3-day pass to ride the subway.
Some tips we received when visiting the sites and departing from the hotel:
To go to the Statue of Liberty you can take the subway (R train) to the station called WhiteHall it’s about a 30 minute train ride - and as soon you go upstairs to street level, you will see the boat for the Statue of Liberty sightseeing trip.
To go to the 9/11 Memorial, you can take the subway (E train) to the last stop (World Trade Center) it’s about a 15 minute train ride - follow the signs to 911 Memorial (it’s only a 5 minute walk from the subway)
The entrance to Central Park is on 59th Street and 5th Ave. it is a 10-15 min walk from the hotel.
There is a great pizzeria across the street from the hotel if you want NY style pizza.
To go to the Empire State Building, you can take the subway F, R, N trains to 34th Street 6th Ave. approximately 20 minute train ride.

Room Tip: If in November, the heat is on in the hotel...may need to open a window if it warms up as the a/c is...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wildcatway e
Shane C, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Tracy C,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our location excellent. I know that the team will be thrilled to learn of your very kind comments in relation to them.

Amherst, NY
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My daughter, my two granddaughters, and myself spent 3 day in New York last week. We stayed at the Fitzpatrick. We arrived at the hotel at 10am, too early to check into our room. But there was no problem leaving our luggage so we could go off to explore. When we returned we were happy to find a spacious suite waiting for us. There was a small living area with a fold out sofa that the girls slept on and then a king size bed that my daughter and I shared. The staff was always friendly and helpful. Just two complaints, it got rather warm the first couple of days and the only way to cool down the room was to open the windows. And wi-fi is not free, but we spent little time in the room so we wouldn't have used it too much. The location was great, very close to central park and we even walked to time square with a 6 and an 8 year old. I would stay there again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank grandmakate
Dear Grandmakate,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I know that the team will be thrilled to learn that you found them 'friendly and helpful'.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had a fantastic stay at the Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel. The staff in particular were so incredibly welcoming. After we had to change parts of our booking due to a serious family sickness, staff member Jennifer Hooker very kindly gave us a complimentary upgrade to a superb suite, complete with bubbly and chocolates. Whilst these were obviously very unusual circumstances, such attentiveness to guests' experiences seems to be standard practice in the hotel. For example, when we had an issue with our room coffee machine they promptly sent up a tray of coffee, which was a nice touch. The staff were also very informative and helpful whenever we had queries, which was a great aid for our first visit to NYC!

The rooms are very clean and very comfortable. The hotel is in a fantastic location - Central Park and Broadway are both within walking distance, and there's a subway one block away if you're going further afield - and the downstairs bar is really nice, and does a very good Mojito!

I would definitely 100% stay here again and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick K
Shane C, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Patrick K,

I was delighted to read that you enoyed your stay at the hotel and in particular that you found the staff attentive. I know that Jennifer will be thrilled to learn of your kind words about her.

Dublin
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I meant to write this months ago as our stay in Fitzpatrick's for a week last August definitely warrants a mention. A group of us pulled up to the kerb on a hot sticky day scruffy & sandy straight off the Jersey Shore only to dump an array of suitcases, plastic bags, carrier bags, cases of wine, water & wedding paraphernalia in front of the hotel out of a monster rental jeep that had to be emptied & returned pronto - when we were warmly welcomed by the manager Chris O'Sullivan and his lovely staff who took us & our many bags to our rooms as though we had arrived in a dignified fashion! They were all suites so the perfect place to calm down, clean up and re-appear a little more 'Manhattan' for a night out during Restaurant week (for which our booking had been made for us by the hotel). We couldn't fault the suites in Fitzpatrick's, they were pristine & very comfortable and there is a lot to be said for having the extra space in a NY hotel room especially if you have a lot of luggage for some reason or intend doing a lot of shopping and it was great have the fridge & ice box in a neat little kitchen area etc. The newlyweds in the group were given a Presidential suite which was extra luxurious with a terrific bathroom (very spacious) and they were made to feel every bit as special as they were at the time by Fitzpatrick's in addition to being treated to champagne & chocolate strawberries etc. There were extras touches in all the suites like fruit plates (nice robes & toiletries too) which always make a difference. There is a daily charge for Wi-Fi access (I haven't come across that before but maybe it's the same other NY hotels) if you are out & about you may not want it & there is free Wi-Fi access in every Starbucks anyway. It is an 'old style' boutique hotel and the lobby & bar/restaurant areas are small but the bar food is very good - we snacked there a couple of times, also had a couple of good breakfasts in the hotel and while the bar itself was very quiet (or it was the week we were there) we had plans every night so we only convened in the bar for a beers or a cocktail on our way out or nightcaps! The hotel is in a great location - lots of glamorous shops nearby, branches of the popular US brands, nice area for a stroll at night, a few blocks from 5th Avenue & Central Park and so on and you are not looking to stay in the middle of party & club central & you don't mind jumping in cabs - then it makes a cozy relaxed base for NYC. The distinction with Fitzpatrick's is the staff - efficient, friendly but not overly formal or pretentious even (as sometimes found in glossier hotels that prefer their staff not appear as people to the customers) and if you are Irish it does feel like a home from home. They gave good recommendations for places to eat nearby - a Mexican restaurant with the best guacamole ever (freshly made at your table), local diners for the full Monty in American breakfasts, made restaurant bookings for us (or got us in) to hotspots with 30-day waiting lists for those not part of the local scene and very cheerful staff like Ciaron were always at the ready to tell us where we could find significant NYC icons like Macy's!! So thanks to Shane Cookman, the dedicated Chris and all in Fitzpatricks Manhattan who helped made a couple's first 'married' days and their family reunion/ group honeymoon the special week it was in New York for all concerned - we'll be back to stay with you again whether for work or pleasure and hopefully sooner rather than later! Also worth a special mention is Murray's Cheese Bar in Greenwich Village - if you like your cheese & wine you will never forgive yourself if you miss the little piece of heaven this establishment is.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Neetie
Shane C, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Neetle,

I was thrilled to read that you and the group enjoyed your stay and thank you for the lovely comments about the hotel and staff. I know that the team will be delighted with the very kind comments.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is the perfect home from home hotel. Location is ideal, and the bedroom is great. Very neat, cozy, and comfortable. Bathroom was beautiful with good walk in power shower. Nice soap too provided and showere gels etc. Decor was really good, old style meets modern in this boutique hotel. Reception staff were welcoming and very helpful. We would stay here again any time. Great stay!!! Great shops nearby with nice breakfast eateries too!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pete H
Dear Pete H,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and found it very comfortable. I know that the team will be thrilled to learn of your very kind comments.