“Adequate, bland hotel in midtown”

Fitzpatrick Manhattan Hotel
Ranked #47 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 September 2009

This hotel was fine -- I am rating it three stars because I found it to be extremely average.

The location is pretty good -- East part of mid-town. Lexington is a pretty charmless street, but 3d and 2d Streets are nearby if you want to be in more of a neighborhood, and it's also within relatively close walking distances to 5th Avenue.

As for the hotel itself, I had a one room suite, on the 8th floor, that I stayed in for four nights (price $399 per night not including tax).

This was a perfectly decent business option. It is not a modern or stylish place. The furniture in the room was quite bland and charmless, but the suite was large (with a sleeping room and a separate livivng area, and tiny "kitchenette"). The kitchette had a fridge in it, and a coffee maker -- but nothing else (i.e., no microwave, utensils, plates). So if you want to use it as a mini-kitchen it's not equipped to do much. The room was clean when I arrived and continued to be cleaned well. It was equipped with everything you'd expect (nice toiletries, blowerdryer, iron, bathrobes). Toiletries were replenished, which I like. There was free access to a mid-range sports club down the street, which was a decent gym. No newspapers delivered to the room, although you could sometimes snag one in the lobby. The room had two flat screen TVs, both of which worked fine, and an ipod docking station.

The lobby was very small (a couch along one wall was the main seating area) and smelled a bit musty. Not a place where you'd like to spend much time. The staff was average, not mean or rude, but not too warm and welcoming either.

My only real complaint was with the restaurant. I've seldom had such poor service: (a) water not served, even though I requested it twice; (2) coffee served w/o cream; (c) oatmeal came without the raisins I ordered, and none came until I requested them twice. I only ate there once after this.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Buben

Reviewed 10 September 2009

I stayed here on part of my honeymoon in August '09 and we have stayed in a hotel as bad.
When booking we requested a suite only to be told when we were checking in that all the suites were gone. We got a small poky room with 2 lights that were out of order. When we cam back later that evening our key cards would not work. The porter tried to blame us saying we had the cards near something magnetic.

the following morning after complaining to the day manager we got moved to a bigger room - he offered us a suite for 1 night. Not much use when we had 3 more nights there. That evening when my wife was having a shower the towel she was using ripped almost in half as she dried herself. Then when she was drying her hair a fuse blew in the room and we were left in total darkness. We rang down to reception and the manager came up stinking of cigarette smoke and tried to blame us for the problem !
THEN that same evening when we came back the lock on our door had completely jammed up. Another call to reception and the maintenance man came up to fix it.
We complained quiet profusely at this stage and we got 2 drinks and breakfast vouchers.
for what we paid to stay here it was no where near worth the money

The 2 positives I would take form our stay were both the bell boys were excellent and the Breakfast was very nice in the bar !

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank carnaree
Reviewed 18 August 2009

This was a nice hotel for Manhattan. The room was really clean and very quiet a big plus in NYC. Our room had a proper shower ( not just a shower in the tub ) which was really nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I booked this hotel for 2 nights as part of a treat for myself and my girlfriend as we were going to stay with friends for the rest of our trip. Being Irish we have all heard of Fiztpatricks. When I got the hotel, I was a bit surprised. It wasn't like I'd imagined it to be.

After a long sign in procedure we went to our room. I went to the room and just felt disappointed. I thought we would have a spacious room but instead it was very very cramped. The bed itself was VERY comfortable but we both had to wear ear plugs as there appears to be no sound insulation. If someone knocked on a door nearby, it sounded like our door and you could hear people walking outside the room, never mind when the maid was cleaning. We had no view, just looked at a wall of the next building so we didnt have much natural light either. It just wasn't at all like I thought it would be.

I found the staff quiet standoffish, 1 female staff member in particular seemed to have little interest in interacting with the guests. There was no Irish feel to their attitude. It tries hard to be an Irish hotel (almost a little over the top) with pictures of the president and a few other well known Irish people but it just didn't do too much for me. It looked a bit like the kind of place my parents might stay.

We decided not to eat in the hotel as there are too many places nearby to try so I cannot comment on that. We paid alot for what we got, probably the worst value I have ever gotten from a hotel itself. What did save our stay though was the location. You are walking distance from many attractions which is fantastic as our friends live way uptown and we had gotten used to subwaying it everywhere so it was great to be able to walk to where we wanted to go and it is in a very nice part of town. I'm not too sorry I stayed but I would not stay again nor would I recommend it to a friend. There are better value hotels with better rooms. Sorry Fitzpatricks but I just felt disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheWexican
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I have stayed in both The Fitzpatrick, Grand Central and Manhattan

They are both truly great hotels, in a big city like New York it is so difficult to get that personal touch

Sean Fitzpatrick has more than managed this in both of his properties--they really care
great locations--perfect restaurants--friendly staff and a personalised letter from him after you leave--are we in Dublin or New York-- I love it and will return! Booking is so easy with Deirdre from Sunway Travel--flights etc arranged with such ease--everything you aked for or could wish for is done!! After many mistakes this is my way to go to NY which I do several times a year to visit my daughter who works there!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Excellent staff who were only too willing to help at any time. The room was fabelous, spacious and had only been recently upgraded to, in my view at leasr 4 star standard as was the rest of the hotel. The hotel is well located close to Bloomingdales and all the other major stores. Dont forget to get your discount cards from reception! The restaurant / bar were very warm and friendly, like being in your own lounge, with good food and service.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank JKingKerry
Reviewed 25 July 2009

After a long trip from Australia we were greeted with friendly efficiency which continued through our ten day holiday. Our suite was clean and elegant, the beds comfortable, great amenities in room (loved fresh bottled water with turndown service), perfect location between the Museums, Central Park and the madness of Times Square and Boradway. Other hotels may have similar offerings but it is the staff at the Fitz that make it a home away from home. No matter what our request they responded immediately and it wasn't just the Irish staff that were fun and pleasant to deal with. Coming back to the Fitz after long days sightseeing was a highlight of our holiday.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family