“Visit the Rooftop Bar!”

The Peninsula New York
Ranked #52 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 September 2008

We didn't sleep at the Peninsula - but we did have a drink (cosmopolitan and beer) at the rooftop bar (Salon de Ning). Yes it's pricey, but the view is incredible!!! We had such a great time having a drink here and the staff was very friendly.

Stayed: April 2007
Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)

Reviewed 8 September 2008

My husband and i stayed in the Peninsula for 4 nights to celebrate his 30th birthday. I am very fussy and i can safely say there was NOTHING at all i could fault. Service is the best i have ever experienced from front desk, to conceirge, to waiting staff. Everyone went out of their way to make this stay a special one. Location is brilliant and rooms and bathrooms spotless, when we got held up on check out it was no issue and when our flight was delayed the driver waited on us coming out of the airport. FANTASTIC - book now!!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2008

We stayed at the Peninsula for three nights over a July weekend in a grand luxe room overlooking 5th Avenue. The room was elegant and large enough with an extremely comfortable bed and a large bathroom with separate toilet and shower cubicle. What stands out however was the impeccable service fromcheck-in through to the superb concierges. I should also mention the unobtrusively good waiting staff at breakfast and at afternoon tea( which is a delightful way to escape from the hubbub of the City) . After one breakfast the staff knew us and remembered how we liked our coffee and which juice we had chosen the day before. Also when I had a minor coughing fit one morning the waiter glided quietly over and put a glass of water in front of me then glided quietly away.
the rooftop bar Salon de Ning is an absolute must for a night cap - it is just what a English person thinks a New York nightspot should be.
we stayed on an exceptionally hot and sticky weekend and were very pleased to comeback each day to the calm and quiet luxury of the Peninsula.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2008

My Wife and I travelled from Edinburgh, Scotland to NYC for 5 days Birthday celebrations and to see the George Michael Concert at the Garden and did a lot of research on where to stay (including through Tripadvisor). We looked at St Regis, Plaza, Trump, Gansevoort, Manderin etc but liked the look and size and reviews of the Peninsula.

We were not disappointed. In fact had found a heavenly oasis.

The Hotel exudes a quiet understated sophistication and calm. Staff are there for you if you need them and very attentive, but never intrusive and always extremely polite and friendly.

The room was beautiful. High ceilings and elegant layout, with lovely equipped bathroom and massive comfortable bed. Best of all the Hotel and Room were impeccably clean (I'm bit Howard Hughes about that stuff)

A trip to the rooftop bar was great, although very busy, We knew that the Spa was closed for refurbishment, but this didn't spoil the enjoyment for us and we will have that to look forward to next time we go - we most certainly will be returning.

Reviewed 25 June 2008

I stayed at this hotel with great expectations and with flying colors, they met mine and beyond. The service was excellent, the food, for hotel food, was excellent. The hotel was spotless and luxurious. The lobby is on the small side. The staff was great, they did not overwhelm me or try too hard. They were perfect. When I arrived, they upgraded me and the room was beautifully decorated and clean. Every detail was not over-looked. I was not disappointed by this first-time stay. They really know how to take care of their guests. I always love the little things in a room. The bathtub was nice and there was a tv right in front in the wall of where you sit in the tub. If you want to stay at a place where they never say "No" to you, this is it. It was worth every cent and I would stay here again. The hair salon is tiny, but nice. The excercise room is well detailed and ample. The spa is excellent as well. The indoor pool was a little small. In my opinion, this is the best 5 star in New York.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2008

I must say, The Peninsula New York is a perfect hotel in many ways. We stayed in a Grand Deluxe Room right on 5th ave overlooking the St Regis. The Room itself was the perfect size and the bathroom was more than generous. They had a seprate marble tub and shower however only one sink ( not ideal for couples ). The staff was top notch in every way possible. The concierge Amy and Faisal really made the trip well worth it and offered not only a classy opion yet a very honest one as well. The complimentary water bar was a nice touch as it wwas very hot and continuous bottles of Voss water kept us cool.

Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank Derektravels
Reviewed 24 April 2008

I spent 4 nights in NYC late last month, and my first night was spent here. The remaining nights were spent at the Four Seasons, reviewed separately.

I last stayed here about 20 years ago and remember the hotel being intimate and elegant. I recall my room being petite and dark, as was the bathroom, with an interior view. About 10 years ago , the hotel underwent a massive renovation with rooms reconfigured and a spa, pool and bar placed rooftop. The spa, pool and Pen Top Bar are again being renovated; this fact was made clear several times during the reservation process.

My short stay was a joy. The hotel is in a historic Beaux Arts building on 5th and 55th, across the street from the equally elegant, also Beaux Arts St. Regis hotel, where I have also stayed. The Four Seasons, by contrast, is modern and grand in design. The Pen's lobby seemed unchanged from my last visit. The reception area is still intimate, the service top-notch. I arrived quite early and a room was not immediately available, but I was contacted by cell by 11:30 am when my room was ready.
I requested and received a room facing 5th Ave. and thus had a lot of natural light. The room was either a Deluxe or Grand Luxe--not especially large but elegant and well-appointed furniture-wise and technologically. There was the signature Peninsula bedside phone console that controls all the lights, air temp, and everything else. I loved the outdoor temperature indicator by the door. The TV was plasma/flat with DVD player and also a gadget that accepts your digital camera memory card for viewing your photos on the big screen. Alas, I could not get this to work.

While the St. Regis has thier butlers, the Pen has its distinctly uniformed pages to meet your every need. While the spal and pool are closed, there is a makeshift fitness center (2 converted hotel rooms), and there is access to a nearby health club with pool, which I did not use.

The Pen has one restaurant and 2 lounges (plus the closed Pen Top), while the St. Regis has 2 restaurants (one with celebrity chef Alain Ducasse) and one lounge (King Cole Bar). Choosing between the Pen and St. Regis is a difficult choice with no clear front runner in my opinion.

I have visited/stayed at 3 other Peninsulas--Hong Kong, Beverly Hills and Chicago. All are elegant with exemplary service, with HK and Chicago being grand, and BH and NY much more intimate. I would not hesitate to stay here again, expecially once the roof-top facilities reopen.

• Stayed: March 2008