“My favourite hotel in New York”

The Peninsula New York
Ranked #33 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“My favourite hotel in New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I am a big fan of The Peninsula and I always try to stay there when I go to New York.

The rooms are comfortable and the bed is amazing. I usually don't sleep very well in hotel beds but the peninsula's is an exception.

The location is great, new Central Park. The gym and spa are excellent and they have a strong wifi signal throughout the hotel, which is great for both work and leisure.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Carolina D
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula New York, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Cbd_1981,

Of the countless hotels to choose from in New York City, we are delighted to read that you have chosen The Peninsula New York as your favorite hotel.

Our hopes are to make your feel at home away from home and to exceed your expectations.

Jonathan H. Crook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Peninsula over Easter Weekend and had a wonderful time. The Peninsula staff are so welcoming, helpful and knowledgeable! My two daughters immediately became devoted fans of the Peninsula the moment we checked in when were presented with a cute stuffed bunny in honor of the Easter holiday. We registered for the Easter Egg decorating event which was so special for the kids. They decorated these impressive chocolate eggs under the supervision of a pastry chef, enjoyed a buffet and the magic show. It was a great way to celebrate the holiday, and the cost of the event was reasonable. The room was immaculate and had some very thoughtful touches (try the nightlight feature). The pool was amazing! Would love to spend another holiday weekend at the Peninsula.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Anne B.

Thank you for spending your holiday weekend here at The Peninsula New York. We are delighted to have exceeded your family's expectations and thank you for taking the opportunity to experience some of the wonderful Easter activities our hotel had to offer.

Hook
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Really super hotel in true Peninsula style, quality hotel, great service, relaxing, non pretentious, great location would recommend...always difficult to get a great bed in a hotel, look no further....
Did not experience breakfast in the hotel so unable to comment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suepp
Dear Suepp,

Thank you for visiting The Peninsula New York and for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind remarks on our services and facilities and hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

This is my second stay as the 4 seasons only had suites. I arrived around 10pm and grabbed a bite at the Gotham, which was good quality but poor service. I tore my pants on the sharp-edged table which was also annoying. The room was excellent, clean and with good amenities. Breakfast next day was superb, and service excellent. The lack of a lobby is inconvenient when you are waiting and my breakfast guests wandered lost before finding me. I liked the hotel and the location is superb but it's not the four seasons.

• Stayed April 2014
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula New York, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Chris D,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and Gotham Lounge on TripAdvisor and your insight of our service strengths and areas of improvement. While our lobby may not be considered traditonal, our small and intimate spaces are staffed with helpful greeters to welcome and direct guests. I hope you and your guests have the opportunity to visit with us once more to experience them.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

My second stay here during a business trip and it was as lovely as the first. I checked in late during a weeknight and was taken care of fairly quickly and painlessly. The room I had this time was not as big as the last but had all the necessities and the luxuries; toiletries, soft slippers, bathrobes, plentiful flannels and towels! The bed was huge and super comfortable. The alarm clock became very useful for my early mornings and it was lovely to be able to turn the lights off from the same device without getting out of bed.

I never normally use hotel toiletries but with cabin-only luggage space was limited and the hotel’s toiletries turned out to be very good – shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, cotton buds, cotton pads were all used! Heavily perfumed but actually was very nice!
They also provided 2 bottles of water and free newspaper every morning.

On the second night I had food from the in-dining service. They wheel in a table covered with white cloth, silver cutlery and bread and butter. The food was good and portion sizes were big!

I could access the gym facilities free of charge. They provide sweat towels and bottles of water on each machine. They offer classes during the day that are also free and use of the pool although I never got to try these. The gym facilities were good though and very handy for me to fit in a work out whilst being away!

One of my colleagues had an issue with her hairdryer which was frustrating for her. Staff tried to fix it but by the time they realised it was a fault with the hairdryer and not the plug/socket/switch, it was too late and she needed to leave to head off to meetings. It would have been easier to just provide a new one. Although I couldn’t work out how to use mine either and it was a case of pressing the switch on the plug socket. So complicated for a hair dryer!!

Free self-service tea and coffee was provided in the lounge early in the morning which was nice as the room I was in had no tea/coffee making facilities. Perhaps this is just for rooms that are booked for business guests as I’m sure regular rooms have tea/coffee making facilities? Would be nice to have tea available in my room.

Staff were always very pleasant. One even ran out and down the street to help hail a taxi for us at 6am in the morning as we came out. The location is great, on Fifth Avenue. It’s a short walk away from the Apple Store, Tiffany’s & Co., and central park.
Check out was smooth and painless. I didn’t have any issues with the bill and they held my luggage for me whilst I continued my last day with work. Will definitely be staying at the Peninsula again for my next business trip in New York.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MissAmyYa
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula New York, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear MissAmyYa,

Once again, thank you for providing a wonderfully kind review on TripAdvisor of our hotel. We believe readers will appreciate your detailed feedback of your stay from the moment of check-in to your departure. We are happy to have provided you a seamless stay and to have exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a third time to The Peninsula New York.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Given the plentiful excellent hotel options in NYC, my wife and I were glad we didn't get adventurous and choose to return to the Peninsula for a recent long weekend. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a very nice and spacious one bedroom suite on an upper floor with good views both north towards the park and west. The location is perfect for us, close to the park, most of the main shopping venues, and even walkable to the theater district if you enjoy a brisk walk on city streets as do we.

The Peninsula has a sophisticated but low key vibe with an international clientele. It wasn't a surprise that we were seated at breakfast next to a famous Hollywood producer/director, but no one there would think of intruding on someone like that's privacy (I do however wish my hearing was better when I happened to overhear them talking about Sinatra). Since our last visit, the dining room has been very tastefully remodeled and renamed Clement, and the one dinner we had there truly was excellent - competitive I believe with the big name Manhattan restaurants. There is also a new small bar in the restaurant, where the head bartender is a master mixologist, and most personable to boot. Normally a plain dry martini man, the bourbon concoction he fixed me and the Tiki drink my wife were both superb, complex but not overdone and, for a change, fully worth NYC prices.

The gym is very well equipped, with great views and a personable and knowledgeable staff. Indeed the entire staff at the Peninsula is what you expect but don't always get in a top hotel: well trained, friendly, there when you need them, but not intrusive.

Give the Peninsula New York a try.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula New York, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear bphenry,

A refreshing and detailed review such as yours is always appreciated on TripAdvisor. We are particularly proud of our new restaurant and bar, Clement and thank you for taking the time to mention our wonderful team. It is the impression that our staff leaves with our guests that we are proud of most.

We hope there will be an opportunity for you to visit The Peninsula New York again and perhaps enjoy another celebrity sighting.

Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

One of the best locations in New York for a five star hotel. Located on fifth ave and 55th street. And the perk in this city is the complimentary van that shuttles guests to the theater by reservation. A lovely gesture at a time when taxis are invisible. The service is lovely as it should be in a five star hotel. The bar is elegant as are the restaurants, the pool and spa. This is a gracious home away from home - peaceful and quiet. If it's a noisy lobby you want, head to Times Square.
The luxe rooms are on the smaller side but well equipped and soothingly furnished. No garish colors here. Subdued and tasteful. Breakfast is ax pensive but one expects take in a five star hotel n New York. But, again, the location is so good that you can walk everywhere.

Room Tip: One of the best locations in New York on Fifth Ave and 55th Street. They have a complimentary van to...