The Peninsula New York
Ranked #53 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 December 2008

Just got back from an extended weekend visit at our normal New York home when visiting, more known as The Peninsula. Very cold outside, perhaps that doesn't sound entirely correct, however a double Jägers at their lovely wine bar (just when entering the hotel on the right side before reception) heated up our veins, limbs and body, the reason why I now feel like a Whopper in a broiler instead.

What I am trying to get across is that this is truly a quality place to base your NYC trip from, and has been so for my family since it opened a few years ago. Last time it was truly an amazing visit as one of my son's biggest corporate profiles from Swedbank Markets shared breakfast with us this morning, a worthy getaway from the usual crowd.

Among the interesting things, we even shook hands with Swedbank's new CEO Michael Wolf. The concierge is also very helpful, arranged atable at Bungalow 8 tonight for me and my friends.

Warmly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed 25 November 2008

This was a wonderful weekend experience that was only possible due to the special anniversary rates. The normal rate is hideously expensive, but getting the second night for $20 made it only "very" expensive.

It was definitely worth the expense, though. Beginning with the doorman who anticipated our arrival and greeted me by name, there was a genuine welcome extended. I was traveling with my wife & daughter, the latter enjoying a birthday shopping trip to New York. The front desk had upgraded us to a Junior Suite to make room for three, and when we got to the room, we found another treat. They had placed a bottle of champaigne and a personalized birthday cake for my daughter in the room!

Throughout our stay the concierge helped with museum tickets, dinner advice/reservations and shopping guidance. We were treated like "VIP's" ... not at all like a family who could only afford to stay there on a special deal.

The Gotham Lounge in the lobby was a very nice place to relax over drinks or coffee. They also served 'high tea' which looked good, though we did not partake.

There was also a penthouse bar, but that was the only negative about the whole stay. It was tawdry and "cheap" looking ... the decor lacked only a dancing pole to achieve the effect they appeared to be striving for. Fortunately, it is easy to avoid.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Firstly I would have given this a Trip advisor "excelent" rating because it deserves it, but for one major flaw which I will speak about in a moment.The rooms are beautifull,they are big [we had a grande luxe] and we had a view out over 55th and partially 5th avenue.

The servicing of the room each morning was attentive as was the turn down service.Coming back late to a dimmed light and soothing music with the room made over again complete with you clothes tidied/folded is the treat you expect in a hotel like this and it was done well.
We had breakfast in fives each morning and I have to say,it was a 100% pleasant experience.No delays and for example an omlette cooked to a level of perfection that melts in your mouth! Yum!

The roof top bar is very nice.It's outside terrace was still in use with the early november temperatures being so mild.It tends to be busy which is always a good sign.
The new pool and fitness centre are also a big plus.

Getting now to the major flaw during our stay and it's a big one in my opinion at a property of this stature.We found the concierge service to be very patchy.The first time I contacted them by phone from the room,I was told they would be there in 5 minutes [albeit at 730am].The next time I rang an hour later,I was put on hold for 10 minutes..before having to hang up-that was dreadfull!
So then to the desk in person...
We were greeted by a surly tired going through the motions representative.It was disappointing.

Later in the stay,we asked for a comment on a specefic restaurant and were advised that we would need a months advance reservation.. [At most high end hotels I stay at I ask the concierge to do these kind of bookings because I expect them to be recognised at the restaurant rather than us trying on our own].
We walked down to try ourselves anyway and were accomadated.
So there you have it,I'm giving the pen NY's concierge team a C minus..but to be fair to the hotel as a whole this was an exception.It is however a serious flaw from our experience.

Moving on...Afternoon Tea in the Gotham lounge is to be highly recommended-excelent service and a very friendly host.

Another great plus with the Pen [Though I haven't reviewed it here due to time considerations,we loved also the Pen in Chicago!] is the free wifi and the complimentary business centre pc's with internet.Other high end hotels take note-there are ways to police over use/hogging of the business centre besides charging the earth for it.Othe hotels also take note that complimentary wifi at the type of prices charged at luxury hotels is to be expected!!

All things considered then, staying at the Pen was a good experience and to be recommended.

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 11 November 2008

I was sent to the Peninsula on a work trip. Although this hotel exudes luxury and is quite comfortable, I would not stay here again when in New York for business. This hotel is just not practical! There may be tons of fruit, chocolate and magazines hanging about the room but you have to fight to find a plug for your laptop (so don’t think you can plug in your cell at the same time!), not to mention fight through all the freebies to get some space to put your stuff down. I couldn’t manage to get a network for my cell or for my internet connection either. So don’t stay here for work, unless, of course you don’t have to do actual work in your room and you want to send a clear message of how your business is going to impress. Oh, the toiletries are nice.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2008

If I could close my eyes and forget about the prices I would stay here every time I come to NYC! Expensive but really, really lovely.

We had a room facing 55th street - huge space with 2 queen beds, sofa, desk lots of extra room, plenty of storage space and a bathroom with separate tub/shower.

The pool/workout area had just been refurbished and are gorgeous. It was a treat using the treadmill looking out at the NYC skyline. The pool wold be nice too but it is really small - hard to imagine actually getting a reasonable swim in - better for kids I think.

We had drinks on the rooftop bar one night which was fabulous. Another evening there appeared to be a doorman/line type of thing but the night we went there was plenty of space at the bar and outside.

5's was great for Sunday brunch - nice, varied menu.

The only exception to the lovely stay was the service at the nail salon in the hotel - not as classy as you would expect. I would recommend going out to one of the gazillion korean salons just a block or two away.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 27 September 2008

This is an exceptional property. Rooms are of a generous size and service is exceptional. The attention to detail at the property is in line with Asian standards -- i.e., excellent. Great to see that the Peninsula has done a good job of bringing their Hong Kong culture to New York.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Japan_Gaijin
Reviewed 27 September 2008

We didn't sleep at the Peninsula - but we did have a drink (cosmopolitan and beer) at the rooftop bar (Salon de Ning). Yes it's pricey, but the view is incredible!!! We had such a great time having a drink here and the staff was very friendly.

Stayed: April 2007