“Five star all the way. I highly recommend this hotel.”

The Peninsula New York
Ranked #48 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from Sep 4-7, 2009 with our children, ages 10, 8 & 5 months and my parents.

Though we are big FS fans and have stayed at the FSNY several times, I think we may have found a new home during NYC visits. This hotel was cozy and the staff was warm and friendly. Our experience exceeded our expectations!

The rooms were impeccably clean and well-maintained. The decor is warmer than the FSNY. We had adjoining rooms which were well-suited to traveling with three children. Though the views of 55th and 5th Ave cannot rival views of Central Park on the higher floors of the FSNY, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

The design of the hotel is such that it feels more intimate than the FSNY (though we love the FSNY's I.M. Pei designed entry). A friendly staff member stood ready at appropriate points to guide us to our destination be it the elevator for the stroller, the front desk, the rest rooms, or Fives (the restaurant). We were greeted by name as we passed the front desk in the mornings which was really a nice touch. This hotel also has a pool in a glass room with a view of Central Park and 5th Ave) which can be hard to find in NYC. This makes a great diversion for kids after an afternoon in the park or museums.

The concierge gave us two great recommendations for lunch and dinner (Cafe Milan down the block for Italian during lunch and Cafe Fiorello on the upper west side).

Things to consider for those traveling with children or who require wheeled access. Wheeled access entry is to the right of the main entrance (Salon De Ning entrance). A quick elevator ride takes you to the lobby where you need to transfer to the elevators which take you to the guest rooms. Once the rooftop bar opens (after 4pm in our case), a member of the staff from the bell desk must accompany hotel guests in the first quick elevator ride because the elevator goes directly to the roof. I can imagine that this might pose a challenge later in the evening (after 10pm) as the rooftop bar gets quite crowded and the line for the elevator would be longer. Since we are normally in by 9 pm, this was not normally a problem for us. Also, Fives did not have a children's menu to my knowledge (though I didn't ask either). There were plenty of suitable foods, but breakfast for my husband and me and our two older children easily reached a pretty penny even with the kids having cereal or a bagel and a bowl of fruit with their chocolate milk.

This is a fantastic property! I recommend it highly and hope to stay here again in the future!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank FS_Junkie_with_kids
There are newer reviews for The Peninsula New York

Reviewed 8 September 2009

Perfect 2-day stay at the Peninsula for Labor Day weekend.
Extremely nice and helpful staff (nice recommendation for brunch for example, Norma's at the Parker Meridien was great) , perfect location (55th and 5th) and great rooms, even the "cheap" ones - ours on the 18th floor had a view on 5th to the South and into the Moma Sculpture garden. Room was very large, with a huge bathroom, including a glorious (though small) bathtub - why glorious ? it's got a tv - watching college football in a warm bath after a long day walking in the city is GLORIOUS !
All in all a great stay - we got a tremendous deal through Orbitz, though, so our take on the value is probably skewed.
We didn't try the swimming pool or the spa unfortunately, but went to the rooftop bar, great place, $20 cocktails and $12 beers but when you're sipping it from a terrace overlooking 5th Av, that's really worth it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2009

My husband and I traveled to New York for our 15th anniversary and stayed at the Peninsula. The staff, service, accomodation, dining, spa and all services were 5 star. The room was clean and quiet. The bed comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and all ammenities provided were sufficient. The only concern we had was the shower sprayed water on the tub ledge which then flowed onto the floor. We had to use towels to creat a damn to prevent further flooding.

The rooftop lounge was a special way to end an evening on Broadway. Although pricey, the view and romantic surroundings were worth it.

The location was within easy walking distance of all major sights including Times Square, Broadway theaters, Central Park, shopping and subway stops.

We thoroughly enjoyed the superior staff and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travel_Fan_120207
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My husband and I just spent a weekend at The Peninsula after wanting to stay there for some time, and we were very favorably impressed. Having stayed at most of the top NYC hotels, we liked the Peninsula's elegance without glitz and its genuinely friendly staff. Some other hotels seem to have the philosophy that a snobbish attitude on the part of the staff lends an air of exclusivity; that just puts us off. Every single employee we encountered during our stay had a smile and a pleasant greeting, whether a maitre d' or a housekeeper. We always felt welcome and appreciated.

The public areas were elegant, but a little bit dim due to the dark wood and olive green carpeting. Because the lobby areas are on multiple levels and the ceilings are somewhat low in some spots, the feel was intimate rather than awe-inspiring. It almost felt more like a private club than a hotel, with different places to sit and relax.

Our room was upgraded to a junior suite which was lovely and very quiet despite facing onto Fifth Avenue. We had a drink in the rooftop terrace bar but didn't have a chance to enjoy the outdoor lounge area as it started to rain as soon as we arrived. Service was quick and polite, which we were glad of as we were in a hurry to get to our restaurant for dinner. Breakfast was very nice, though with the incredibly high prices that seem to be the norm in New York these days despite the economy. A guest at a neighboring table actually had her unfinished bagel and lox packaged to go, and at $32 or so, I don't blame her.

In all, we were very happy with the Peninsula and look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BrynMawrBK
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I had always wanted to stay at The Peninsula but always stayed in hotels around central Park for their view and location as I like to jog while on business trips. Having read the weather forecast prioro to my visit I realized thata no outdoor jogging was happning with the rainy outlook so I decided to give it a try. the hotel is undergoing a remodelation that keeps a scafold over the entrace not giving you the first imppression, but the rest of my experience more than made up fot this. I found the lobby very intimate and well appointed. The check in staff was exrtremely courteus and gave me an upgrade to a room overlooking Fifth Avenue. I have to saty that this hotel has among the best bathrooms I have seen in NYC, extremely spacious with separate tub and shower, rivalring those of the Four Seasons which I considered to be the best until now. the bed was an unforgetable experience with extra down pillows and very nice linens.
Since I was celebrating my wedding aniversary next day I ordered champagne to the room before dinner but had only two glasses before it was time to meet some friends for cocktails. I asked the almost full bottle to be sent to the bar to drink the rest and somehow it never mad it. The captain at the wonderful terrace bar inmediately opened a new bottle for us and when our bottle finally arived they refused to charge us the second bottle opened. Very impressed! theye recentle had opened a ESPA spa and an excercise facility which I condsider to be the best of any hotel in NY.
I will definetely saty at this hotel again in my next vists to NY

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Fred2277
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Delightful service, well equipped room, charming staff. Fab Ning Bar.

Expensive but worth every penny for my husband's Christmas present!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GoldfishWoman
Reviewed 21 May 2009

We had a great five day stay a coupla months ago. The service is great, rooms well appointed and nice location near Central Park. We especially liked the redone outdoor area which is oh so trendy but a lot of fun. The people were nice, the pool is adequate (tough to find a pool in NYC). and sauna, etc. well above average.

Seems like a boutique hotel and I have stayed there twice this year and plan a few more stays. If you are pinching pennies this is not the place for you with $22 cocktails and $60 parking. Ate at Bice and Botega del Vino resturants nearby. The restaurant was empty and pricey with just ok food. The Salon de Ning bar has some finger foods so a better choice--perfect on a summer night.

All in all a great experience!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple