“A Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New Hampshire
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2007

We found this hotel through Trip Advisor and booked it for our mid December anniversary trip on the strength of the reviews. We were not disappointed! The property is wonderful and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Rick's cafe is available around the clock with refreshments. There is also a fine continental breakfast and wine and cheese reception in the evening. Rick's also has a fireplace, comfortable couches, and a computer for guests. The guest rooms are small, but well appointed and very quiet.

The location is great - less than a block to Times Square. There are several restaurants on the same block. We tried Toni DiNapolis, which was fun, but very crowded and noisey with huge portions.

We cannot recommend this property enough. We hope to stay there again!!!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Eeepee98

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (918)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
Wales, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2007

I dont think there is anything different I can say from a lot of previous reviews...I should know as I have read most of them...and I booked our stay at this hotel on the strength of the reviews on TA. I can only say we were not disappointed and the hotel truly lives up to all the glowing reviews and more.
Our trip to New York was for my 40 th birthday and my trip was made extra special due to staying at this little gem of a hotel, the management even gave me a bottle of bubbly-I was really touched.
All of the staff from the boys on front desk, the lovely ladies in Ricks lounge and the maids were all happy, smiley and extremely polite with any requests made being promptly and effeciently met.
The whole hotel exuded and air of calm and serenity, youd never believe being in such close proximity to Times Square. It is spotlessly clean and the food available at Ricks was fresh and plentiful and inviting.
I loved everything about it, would return in a heart beat, and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.
New York is amazing as well....Im longing to return.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — The fact I had to go home
8 Thank merched32
Angus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2007

Just back from a five night stay in this wonderful,small,friendly,clean,great located hotel.
Can't fault it and after reading other reviews on this site it was everything we expected. The rooms are small but adequate.Equipped with ironing board,iron and hairdryer. Ours had a nice big cupboard for storing the suitcases and plenty of coathangers.
Rick's lounge is great for having your coffee or your wine and cheese in the evening. There is a coffee machine so you can make a cup at any time you wish .Breakfast includes a healthy choice of fruit along with your bagels etc.
Every member of staff was friendly and very helpful.
Turn right and the heart of Times Square is 20 meters yet there is no noise once you are in. We were within walking distance of a lot of the tourist attractions.
Would have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone visiting New York.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
8 Thank powwowAngus
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2007

We stayed at the Casablanca hotel for 6 nights in Nov 07.
We like everyone else had high expectations from all the excellent reviews on trip adviser and we can only whole heartedly agree. From the moment we pulled up in the taxi the doorman was ready to take our cases , all of the staff were very friendly and chatty and always ready to help and if they didnt know anything they would get back to you.
Our room was on the 3rd floor we were offered a room at the back or the front, we chose the front whats the point of being in new york with out the noise. The room was very clean and homely with bathrobes and slippers the bed was big enough with comfy pillows, we had a tv with a large selection of channels there was also a dvd player with complementary dvds available from reception (and all of the films were set in or named after new york it was a nice touch and you'd be surprised how many films there are).
The bathroom was small but well equipt with nice toiletries and all mod cons including a phone (well you never know when u'll get the urge to chat) theres also a safe in the room which was complementary. Ricks cafe was really nice and a relaxing place to sit and chat there was a good selection of bagels and coffees in themorning and the wine and cheese was very popular but the room never felt crowded even though most people used it at some point. We have previously stayed at the Marriott Marquis and said that we would go back but with the price increase there we decided to try the casablanca its not cheap but its worth every cent if its all about location then what more could you want than just metres away from times square.

• Liked — location and friendly staff
9 Thank devonpixie44
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2007

As I expected, after reading the unbelievably glowing reports of the Casablanca - the concierge service and general friendliness of the staff was absolutely excellent. The only reason I haven't given the hotel the same kind of review is because of a few minor things, but none of them serious.
Yes, the complimentary breakfast is really useful, but after 7 days it was a bit "samey" - but remember, this is FREE!! so no real complaints there.
We didn't really make use of the free cheese and wine as we were out virtually all day and into the night, but I did use it on our first night and was stunned at the quality of the wine and cheese available - shame it didn't start sooner and end later as we would have used it every day. If you're the sort of tourist who likes a 9-5 day with an evening out after getting changed, then this is ideal for you.
We were in the hotel over Thanksgiving, so it was pretty packed but we never had a problem getting a table at Rick's cafe.
Noise - didn't affect us at all, all you need to do is ask for a quiet room, we were on the sixth floor. In fact I was absolutely amazed at how quiet the hotel was considering that THE noisiest and busiest place in the world - Times Square is literally 30 yards away!
Our toilet got blocked too (is this a hotel plumbing problem?), but there was no problem getting it unblocked. I was surprised to hear that another reviewer met an unhelpful member of staff, as everyone we met was superb. Considering some of the ridiculous requests we heard in the breakfast area from some of the guests, I'm amazed that the staff were so courteous. I sometimes wonder why people go on holiday at all if they only like things done in a certain way.
Yes, the room was small but we weren't really in the room for long enough periods for this to be a problem. Towels changed every day as were the toiletries.
We also received a free bottle of champagne, as it was our wedding anniversary - this seems to be standard practice now for decent hotels if you mention a special celebration. I just hope people don't start abusing this and make up a birthday just to get a free bottle of bubbly.
Overall, our stay at the Casablanca was brilliant and I have no hesitation in recommending it - but don't go there if you like faceless corporate hotels.

• Liked — staff attitude
  • Disliked — can I be really pedantic and anal and say - the light switches in the room?!!
9 Thank nogginthenog
Northern California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2007

We booked our stay for the Thanksgiving week 8 months ago. It's was the least expensive hotel close to the parade route. The service is fine, and the lounge is great (we saved a FORTUNE on breakfasts and two nights we turned our crackers and cheese into dinner!). But we were staying at the front of the hotel in a King suite (room 502) and we found the noise unbearable. If you're a light sleeper opt for a room in the back -- with all the sight seeing to do in New York City, a good night's sleep is essential and we would have appreciated someone advising us about the noise upon booking. (The beds were very comfortable, however).

I was not surprised by the size of the rooms as I had read about them on this website. We had a King suite, but the room was so overstuffed with unnecessary furniture (Why do I need a table for two in my bedroom?) that we had to get very creative even to pull the sofa bed out for our daughter. We wound up removing the glass from the coffee table and propping it up by the wall and putting the metal base on end in a corner.

We were given mis-information about the parade from a staff member (he didn't even know what street it came down -- thankfully we had done enough research of our own to know better), and we also had to have a very unfriendly staff member unclog our toilet -- it was kind of an embarrasing call to make and a more congenial attitude or a sense of humor would have been appreciated.

All and all, Casablanca was nice, but not exceptional and for $459.00 a night, I expect exceptional.

Stayed November 2007
6 Thank jfaztravels
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2007

I recently enjoyed a three night stay at the Casablanca, as a sort of mini school reunion with four friends. We chose New York, as we were travelling from London and California and it was the nearest to a halfway point we could manage. We chose the Casablanca based on recommendations from tripadvisor and I would like to add my name to the list of fans.
Since our group was arriving at different times and sharing rooms, I made several calls to the hotel regarding our booking. The staff were always friendly and welcoming, no matter what time of night I called, and I would always deal directly with whoever answered the phone, rather than being put on hold. When we checked in, it had been noted that one of us would be celebrating a birthday during our stay, and we were offered a bottle of champagne to be sent to our room, which was much appreciated.
The hotel is fabulously central, just by Times Square and you really feel when you step outside the door that you are right in the thick of things. On stepping inside however, you have the sense of arriving at an oasis of calm.
The room were beautifully decorated and more spacious than I expected for New York.
One of the best things about the hotel is Rick's Bar, which is a lounge on the second floor for guests, open 24 hours. We were served an excellent breakfast here and in the evening from 5 to 8pm, wine and cheese is available. Now that's what we would call a Very Happy Hour! The rest of the time, coffee, (a cappucino machine, no less) and cookies were available. It was a great place for my friends and I to relax and catch up and there was even a pianist on the Friday evening.
The staff were always friendly and helpful and really went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and at home. It really was a very personal service.
On the morning we checked out, we did not actually have to leave New York till about 11pm that night. The staff very kindly took care of our bags ( even letting us have access to them in the afternoon to put away shopping!) and invited us to make use of Rick's bar during the day if we needed a break. I have since learned that many hotels charge a fee to hold your bags, so we were very grateful for this service.
It was great to be able to walk to the theatre, to dinner and to many other attractions and it made New York feel much smaller than it had on previous visits.
Next time I stay at the Casablanca, I would like to try to a room at the rear of the hotel, as there is some street noise. I know this is unavoidable in New York, but we were unlucky that the city had decided to dig up the road outside the hotel during our stay. Everything else about our stay was quite perfect however, and I would heartily recommend this hotel
Mary

• Liked — great staff and central location
  • Disliked — New york street noise
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends