“Found it: OUR hotel in NYC!”

Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #2 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Had our first stay at The Casablanca for three nights last week on our semi-annual theater trip to NYC. It will now be OUR hotel for these jaunts to NYC. It is a fabulous boutique hotel on 43rd street just around the corner from 7th Ave/Broadway which is the corner of Times Square with the Hard Rock Cafe, an unbeatable location and less noisy and crowded than the big hotels.

The rooms are a bit small but the service is the best in NYC--e.g., on the blistering hot days last week, the doorman was handing everyone cold bottles of water (free) on the way out and telling them to take care. The hotel called a few days ahead of our stay to see if there was anything they could do for us; I casually mentioned that we were celebrating 'no more college tuition bills' and when we arrived, we had lovely special treats in our room.

The cost (varies by season & room size) INCLUDES a nice big breakfast--cereal, pastries & bagels, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, juice, fruit, yogurt) AND a 5-8 pm wine and cheese time AND coffee/tea/cookies at all other times. We ate a big breakfast, would return to the hotel for wine/cheese and then have dinner after our Broadway shows, saving money.

The hotel/rooms are decorated in Moroccan style and the lounge is called Rick's Cafe, of course. The room ammenties are really nice, including slippers. I love hotels that give you slippers--Why don't more American hotels give you slippers?!?

A real find amid all the indistinguishable chains in that area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vakamalua
Write a ReviewReviews (5,956)

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at the Casablanca at the end of June, this was our first trip to NYC so don’t really have anything to compare against, we chose the Casablanca due to it’s location given as close to Time Square and all the positive feedback left on Trip Advisor.

The hotel is a small boutique hotel and is definitely very close to Time Square, they are not joking when they say just steps away, we stayed in a cosy classic room, 503 I think, which I believe is their smallest room type, it was beautifully presented and available early on our arrival (bonus). The room size was good, similar to a Premier Inn back in the uk, the bathroom however was very small (knees touching the wall in front when on w.c.) but very clean and had everything you need. Our room overlooked a courtyard with the fire escapes in so no view but was very quite, didn’t hear a thing, considering the location that was excellent.

The Hotel has an area on the first floor called Rick’s Café which has complimentary tea, coffee, water and snacks available 24hrs, this is also where the complimentary continental breakfast and complimentary wine and cheese daily session happens and was a great place to take a pit stop after a hard days sightseeing and before preparing for the nights activities ahead.

All the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant and helpful, the hotel was well maintained, clean and excellently presented. You can tell the Hotel is very proud of its #1 status and you can also tell by the service you receive that they are very determined to keep it.

As I said at the beginning this was our first trip to NYC so couldn’t comment on whether it is #1 or not, but I would certainly recommend it to friends & family and I think that tells its own storey.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1_Mike_H_789
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Very quaint and wonderfully decorated boutique hotel in the heart of Times Square.

They also own the Library hotel which is one of my all time favorite hotels -just found that out afterwards!

First room we got was a room with a double bed that was so small that even the bathroom door could not close and had to remain totally open. I called and told them I loved my bed but wondered where my husband would sleep! This room had a wonderful remodeled bathroom.

They were very gracious and we received another room, this time with a queen bedroom and the bathroom was not remodeled. Very comfortable beds.

Coffee bar open all the time, free wifi - and strong signal!! Afternoon and evening snacks, wine and nice breakfast included.

Would we go back - YES.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Crunchberry327
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I stayed here with my wife, her parents and my brother- sister in laws for 6 nights. Ten of us. We each had our own rooms. Rooms are small but very clean and very pretty. Air conditioning kicks cold air, awesome. Staff is very helpful and friendly. The breakfast and snacks all day in the eating area was great. It was big enough for us to meet each morning and evening together to sit and talk and the food was plenty and very good. Location can not be beat. Literally 20 steps from Times Square. Two great restaurants next door. Theatres are very close.
Called down to ask where ice machine was located and front desk said no worries we will bring you up a bucket of ice. It was delivered in less than 5 minutes. And we were on the 6th floor. At 10:30pm. So this is a must stay.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Tbethea
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I stayed at the Casablanca last June and this year provided the same great experience and service. Since the property changed ownership (now part of the Library group) it seems they are trying harder than ever to keep up their reputation and high standards. Yes, the rooms are a bit small, but the common area is more than comfortable and really, you don't spend much time in the room...it's New York!! Such a convenient location. Bryant Park is a gem and only a short walk away.

1  Thank razorcityrunner
Reviewed 4 July 2012

As it says in the title, this was my first trip to NYC so I literally booked this hotel because it was #1 on Trip Advisor and I was clueless about anything in NYC.
We drove in from Philly and used the Myers parking. The hotel will validate parking and it a pretty big discount at $25 a day. However, all over the hotels website it says "self parking". This is not a self parking garage. The attendant will take your car. I was unprepared for this!! So I just wanted to note it here to help anyone else.
We arrived at around 11 am. We were unable to get into our room early. We had a king bed room and it was adorable. I loved it. The room and hotel were very clean. My air conditioner worked great. We cranked it to 67 degrees so Im sure it was working hard, but the room was nice and cool when we got back in from the 90+ degree weather. The drinks/snacks in Ricks cafe were awesome. I hadnt planned on ever eating there, but it really was high quality and convienent.
There are ice buckets in the room, but you have to call the front desk to get ice. That was a little odd.
The only real negative was that I booked the room under Expedia. Two nights was $722 dollars. All paid well in advance. When I got home from the hotel, there was almost 1100 dollars in pending charges on my credit card. I was shocked!! This seems EXTREMELY excessive, so much so that I had to call to confirm that they were indeed just pending charges. I did not read anywhere on expedia that this would happen and I am guessing that it was because I booked through that site, but wow. If you have a small credit line please beware. That was a huge shocker.

Now on to the AMAZING aspects of this hotel. It is the greatest hotel location I can imagine. You can go out and about and easily stop back in for bathroom, dropping off bags, etc. It was so close to public transportation and all the happenings. The location alone is worth the cost.
My room was completely silent. I have no idea how seeing as how it is so close to the mania going on outside. In fact, the morning I checked out there was a huge storm. I walked outside and said "It rained?!?!?!" I had no idea. Amazing.
So next time I will book through the hotels site to avoid those insane pending charges. And I will definitely be back. Seriously, the location can not be beat.

4  Thank MarieIKR
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear MarieIKR,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for choosing the Casablanca Hotel. We were especially pleased to hear your feedback on our location and the room we chose for you. Please allow me to sincerely apologize for the large hold we placed on your credit card. This was done in error and should have been applied only to a reservation that was not pre-paid. In your case, only $50.00 per day should have been authorized on your credit card to cover any incidental charges. To clarify, this is not a charge but a hold, which is standard procedure that credit card companies require hotels perform to facilitate payment upon check-out. This frees our guests from the burdensome procedures of the past, like mailing in a check as a deposit to guarantee a booking. I have shared your experience with the front office team and reiterated our standard procedures, so this particular experience may never happen again. Your feedback helps illustrate to the staff how a rare or seemingly small error can have a negative impact on a guests experience, which we care so deeply about. Of course we would love for everyone to book directly on our site and the TripAdvisor member deal listed here is the best but this error should not have happened, regardless of how your reservation was made.

Thank you as well for detailing the parking situation. We do not valet park the cars; the guests must go to the garage adjacent to the hotel themselves, but yes, when you get there, the garage staff will drive your car to an available spot.

It was a great pleasure welcoming you here and we look forward to your next visit!

John Taboada

Reviewed 4 July 2012

After ready up on this Hotel and the reviews it lived up to all that i expected and more . the Brooklyn dinner . and Tony,s were both great places to eat but a word of WARNING the family dinning in Tonys i would say make sure you don't over order the size of a meal for two would feed 5/6 very easy . and was a fantastic Italian restaurant you must go there . and the staff in all the above are very helpful

Room Tip: we did stay in the larger suite