“Ideal if you want a lot of bang for your buck”

Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #3 of 468 Hotels in New York City
florida
“Ideal if you want a lot of bang for your buck”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I'm a person who likes to get a lot for my money. I usually use priceline, but couldn't afford the risk of bed bugs. My son is allergic to bites. So I spent hours scouring reviews on trip advisor and other places. The key in reviewing places is to make sure you 'sort' the reviews to read the bad ones first for all your choices. It's telling to look at them all together. After looking at all of my options, I decided that casablanca was best for us in terms of location and cleanliness. Also, for a first trip to NYC, I wanted a place small enough to offer personal tips if needed. I got everything I was looking for...plus a little more.

Location - I didn't really want to use the subway to get everywhere. I'm healthy and active, and wanted to see the city walking around. Casablanca was a perfect balance in midtown - where we could easily walk uptown one day and downtown another. Our priorities were being close to a show (late at night) on broadway, and a radio city show super early in the morning. In both cases, we made the walk within 15 mins. Also, it was easy to shop on our travel day when we were most tired. We saved on metro rides. And even if we had little energy left, we could stay close to the hotel and get plenty of NYC glitz (5th ave nearby or times square). I misunderstood the reviews and thought the hotel opened up onto times square. In actuality, you are in the middle of a side road between times square and the road that goes down to rock center. Again, a perfect balance. Still, everything felt very safe. Another review was right in saying that you are 1/2 block from a police station, and everything is well lit. Plus, the side road gets plenty of foot traffic from restaurant next door.

Food - The living room/lounge was like visiting family. It is actually broken into 2 parts -- with 2 different televisions. Thus, everyone was spread out well. But it is not just tables. Many chairs and sofas with small coffee tables. You felt like you were at home. Plus, the food was out all the time. Breakfast ran late (didn't just clear out at 9 like most places where you have to get up super early to make it). Pastries, coffee, and tea were out all day. And both breakfast and the wine/cheese had plenty of fruit available. The wine/cheese had a nice selection of olives and varied crackers. When you have a teenager, you appreciate the access to a snack without having to drop 10.00 mid morning, or mid afternoon, or late evening between meals. Plus, it was a nice extra space where families could split up and hang out separately when rejuvenating at the hotel. You do have to have the mindset that this isn't a flashy lobby. It's like a bread and breakfast feel. I figure I saved $45.00/day with these snacks (and eating just one other meal). You want to factor that into the cost of the room.

Room - we had a great room. King size, but not a bed. But looks like we had a wheelchair accessible bathroom. It was super long, and had a full bath/shower. The toiletries smelled nice and they provided lotion and shower gel (not just shamp and conditioner). That's a distinction for me between low key places and nicer places. I requested ear plugs in prep for noise I read about. But with fan on, I didn't need them. We were up on 4th floor, but did have a window facing street. On first 2 days, I could see building across from us, but then a shade seemed to lower on outside of building. I never knew why. But it did add to darkness at night. Although, outside lights never a problem. We also had a longer entry way into room with plenty of area for an ironing board without consuming rest of space. And of course, clean room, airy duvet, and no bed bugs or any bugs.

Service - as good as described in reviews. Couldn't get into room early which was a little rough because we had been traveling since 2am that morning. But with a smaller hotel, that didn't seem unusual. Everyone from front desk, to doormen, to ladies working the lounge, to cleaning staff was very professional and kind. When I was taken to our room, I was offered ice and shown everything in room. Oh, did I mention they come back and leave chocolate on bed in evening? Another nice touch in addition to the 'free' water bottles. Imagine, not getting charged for water! And we needed them. Finally, the printer and computer in lounge made it easy to print boarding tickets on last day.

Who is this hotel best for? Hard to say. We saw more than couples. And the lounge made it clear why. There were small families there too. And, if you like meeting other people from all over, the lounge seemed to bring people together (although, it was easy to have your own privacy too). Even if I was traveling on business, I would appreciate the free wine and wi-fi. They offered us passes to their gyms, and their guest book offered 2 options for use of a gym. We didn't use them, but it might be something a person wants in their hotel. Also, you are about 1/2 block to starbucks and it is open to all hours on time square.

Overall, the Casablanca earns its #1 slot for a reason. A perfect balance to big NY!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank ncftrav

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
Leonardtown, Maryland
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We read the reviews and liked them, booked the hotel and it lives up to all the good reviews. Check in, friendly and helpful, room, small but lovely we had 606 and it was great for us. Bathroom neat and clean, and housekeeping was excellent. We had our a special celebration and the staff made us feel special, they helped us book local resturants and worked hard to make our stay a great one. Ricks cafe was appropriately themed and great for breakfast and wine and cheese nights. Really enoyed the atmosphere and special attention, would definately stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed 26 December 2013

One of the best in NYC! Great location, friendly, helpful staff, and very comfortable rooms and furnishings. Amenities were great. Breakfasts and wine and cheese reception were a pleasant surprise. Highly recommend the Casablanca!! Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
San Jose, California
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This location was perfect for walking to Broadway shows, Rockefeller Center, Time Square, the Empire state building & the subway station was just around the corner for trips the Natural History Museum etc. The Staff were continuously pleasant & professional & they made it their mission to make your stay enjoyable. They were helpful with everything from directions to arranging transportation to & from the airport as well as recommending Restaurants.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My cousin and I recently enjoyed eight nights at the beautiful Casablance Hotel. From the moment we arrived unitl the moment we left we had the most amazing time. All the staff were friendly, attentive and went above and beyond with helping us get the most out of our visit to New York.

The accommodation is second to none. Rooms were spottlessly clean, shower was great and the beds were very comfortable. As we shared and mini-suite we had ample room for the two of us.

Rick's Cafe is a great spot for breakfast, a warming coffee or wine and cheese. We availed ourselves of all it had to offer and in the process met some very charming other Casablanca guests.

I cannot recommend Casablanca highly enough. I look forward to returning with my husband in the future. Casablanca are to be commended on their wonderful staff. Such a positive experience is never forgotten.

Room Tip: A mini-suite has a little more room for those looking for some space.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Leanne T
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

After the Westin took away a delightful little brekky area (The Atrium Club) my husband and I were on the look out for a new hotel for our third trip to New York City during Thanksgiving week. This small hotel was perfect. With well appointed rooms and a "homey" feel, the Casablanca Team were some of the most caring and professional hotel staff I have come across. The room was quiet (even though we were a stones throw from Times Square where roadworks were taking place) and the breakfast/cheese & wine common area, a welcome luxury after a long day hitting the stores.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat and appreciate all of the lovely employees of this little gem that made our stay comfortable and memorable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Recently, my wife and I spent 3 nights at the Casablanca Hotel while in NYC for a conference. The location was great. Literally feet away from Times Square on West 43rd. We were able to walk to almost everything we were interested in (Macy's, Bryant Park, theater, restaurants, Columbus Circle, Radio City Music Hall, Grand Central Station and many more). If we couldn't walk, the subway station was only one block away.
Friendly staff and great service. The breakfast was perfect to start our day but we were too busy to take advantage of the wine and cheese in the evening (we stopped in briefly once and it looked like a nice spread being enjoyed by many of the guests). Our queen room was very comfortable and good sized (for what you would expect for a NYC hotel room). Plenty of amenities in the room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple