“Quiet, clean, friendly, helpful, great for business trips”

Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #4 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Chicago
“Quiet, clean, friendly, helpful, great for business trips”
Reviewed 18 April 2009

The room I stayed in (306) was clean, small, but spacious enough for me, and quiet. I slept in one day (after a late night) and the place remained quiet until 9:30 am, when I go up. The closet was large - nearly walk-in. I used the iron and board - both fine. The shower was good - good pressure, decent soap, hot water. Firm, good mattress, good pillows - both firm and feather provided (two of each, and an extra in the closet.

Wireless internet is free (as it should be - never pay for internet access), but a little slow.

Service was great - the front desk was helpful and friendly, the maids were very good.

The location is probably great for tourists - really right on Times Square. I was there on business, and no interested in Times Square. However, the location worked for me because so many subway lines converge at Times Square - it made getting around the city easy.

I did not try the included breakfast, so cannot comment on that.

Rates are quite reasonable compared to the other similar boutique hotels that I stay in for business trips.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (974)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 April 2009

We planned a Getaway trip to NYC for a Broadway show and exploring the city. Location was important, but we also wanted a place where we could take a break, relax and recharge during the day. Casablanca fit the bill to a "T" and more. Just off Time Square, we could access the subway system, walk to a show, and still be back in the hotel and enjoy Rick's Cafe (2nd floor lounge with comfortable seating, 24/7 coffee, tea and cookies as well as breakfast and afternoon wine and cheese) between excursions.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We now have our NYC hotel for future stays and hope to take family there next year.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sdboisvert
wayne123
Reviewed 14 April 2009

My stay in New york City was excellent however my stay at the casablance was very disrespectful. I was insulted by the General Manager on the night of New Years , he rudely told me to get out of his way. He was wasted and had no sense of what was going on. I felt very disrespected when raised his voice at me as if I was a threat. He seemed high and drunk therefore I kept my mouth shut to avoid getting beat down. I had a recent trip as well where the morning front desk agent responded to me with a dirty attitude as if I had committed an offensive act aganst her. It was a one night stay so I didnt mind. Overall the hotel location is excellent, however management lacks professionalism and discipline. I have stayed at the Library as well and the experience there was worth the money nor did I mind staying a bit further from Time Square

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank wanye123
Memphis
Reviewed 13 April 2009

A beautiful hotel with excellent service and amenities. This will be our hotel whenever our travels take us to New York. Everyone who worked at the Casablanca was helpful, friendly and efficient.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DennyLynne
Cornelius, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We just returned from an excellent stay at the Casablanca. The service was amazing, the rooms beautiful and quiet, and we loved Rick's Cafe. At any time you can get iced tea, capuchinno, expresso, etc. The breakfast was very nice- croissants with cheese and ham in it, bagels, muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, and more. There was wine and cheese and a vegetable tray in the early evening and cookies and milk at night. There was a computer with a printer and Internet access. They will suggest wonderful restaurants and make reservations for you. I loved the tile in the bathroom, the woodwork throughout the hotel and classy accent pieces. You can check out DVD's to watch in the room- New York movies, Broadway show movies, and of course Casablanca! The only slight complaint was that there wasn't a dresser for clothes, but there were enough other drawers to put our clothes in.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Becky98
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I have now stayed at The Casablanca in summer and winter, alone and with family, for business and leisure trips - and yes, I have every intention of going back.

Two main things draw me back - the atmosphere and the location.

I am aware that the rooms are not gigantic, but I don't spend a lot of time in the room when I'n in NYC. Even when I stayed alone for a week on a business trip with a lot of late nights on the laptop in my room to match the Australian work hours, I didn't find the room size restrictive - but I did find that the friendliness of staff and other guests at breakfast and over evening drinks in Rick's Cafe wonderful.

The concept of Rick's Cafe is the cornerstone of the attraction of the hotel. Fruit, pastries, coffee and cold water are available all day and night - perfect for grabbing a quick snack between meetings or tourist highlights. In the morning the breakfast is fresh and plentiful and in the evenings the drinks and snacks are a great pre-theatre treat. People are friendly and chatty, but it's also easy to sit alone and read if that's your preference.

Regarding location - I find it easy to walk almost anywhere from Times Sq, and the subway is right across the road if needed. I can't say I enjoy how thick the Times Sq crowds get in mid-summer, but it's easy to walk up 43rd to a less congested street to walk along. And if you're a theatre nut like me, being a 2 minute walk to/home from the theatre, and from the TKTS booth is simply perfect.

Issues - the only problem I have ever had was one room facing the front street was a bit noisy for a light sleeper like me (my daughter slept fine - it was just me). I could have resorted to ear plugs, but when I spoke to the front desk they had moved us into a rear room in less than 15 minutes. Problem solved.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank kangagirl
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We stayed at the Casablance Hotel to celebrate my wifes 40th, so we booked a junior suite. First impression from the outside, was oh no! as it does not look very grand. However we were welcomed by the doorman and receptionist in turn, both very polite and inside it all looks very nice, especially the lounge.Our room was ready so we were taken to the suite on the 6th floor overlooking the road.
They put a complimentary bottle of fizz which was a nice touch, the room was spacious, clean and had everything you could want.
Now the first moan, the web site states the rooms are sound proofed, this turned out not to be the case, as all night long we could hear the noise of the trucks pulling up at the building over the road, a mixture of reversing signals, trucks starting their engines and the odd police siren was enough for a disturbed sleep. BUT when we complained they moved us to a "better" room, a twin bedded junior suite at the back of the hotel, this was more money but they did not charge us the extra. This room was also noisy as you could hear the extractor fans humming all the time, but as it was a continuous hum, we did get some sleep.
In the morning there was continental breakfast and in the evening complimentary cheese and wine, at all other times cookies and cakes and beverages in the lounge.
The hotel is 20 yards from Times Square so is great as a base, and WOW Time Square is amazing at night !
There are so many places to eat 7 drink in the road by the Hotel youi dont have to stray far all high standard, but with the current exchange rate was a little more than expected, but hey this was a once in a lifetime trip..
Couple of down sides, the hotel boasts free wireless but on the 5th & 6th floors the signal is very weak, also the TV signal is also poor, including when watching a DVD when we were tired out from all the walking in NYC.
Taxi from JFK is $50, and to Newark it was $103! (yellow cabs dont go there for some reason)
Overall this was a pleasant stay, everyone was helpful and friendly, the hotel is immaculately clean and even the cleaners checked that we didnt need anything.
As per the title after a very hard 4 days around NY it was a relaxing calm atmosphere in the hotel, but boy does it change ouside !

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple