“Excellent location”

Ranked #3 of 467 Hotels in New York City
worcester
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 23 July 2009

What a wonderful time we had in NY, a pity we could only stay for 5 days, but when we return one day, we will definately stay in the Casablance Hotel again. The location is excellent, 15 steps away from Times Square, walking distance from 5th Ave, Macy's, The Empire State Building and Central Park. The staff was very helpful and friendly, breakfast was delicious and our room was beautiful and spacious. We looked forward to return to our room after a day of sightseeing. The best part was the price, we stayed for cheaper at the Casblanca Hotel than we would pay for a room at any 4star hotel in South Africa.

I highly reccommend it.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kemp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (982)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2009

We spent two nights in the Casablanca Hotel. The location was wonderful. Right off Broadway! The service was impeccable. Anything you asked for was provided in an instant. Their lounge, called Rick's Cafe was wonderful. It is large and is always stocked with hot and cold drinks, cookies and all sorts of exotic coffees. The continental breakfast each day was beautiful and delicious. The evening receptions with wine, champagne, cheeese. etc was delightful as was the piano player on Friday evening. After a weeklong trip around NY and PA, it was an oasis in a wonderful, busy city. The only downside was that there is no central air conditioning, so the in-window a/c was a little noisy. Got used to it after the first night.
An additional treat is "Ton'y" Italian restaurant right next door.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I selected this hotel, like others, on the strength of the great reviews on this site. I was planning a surprise anniversary trip so obviously it was very important that the hotel was pretty special! I am very glad to say that the Casablanca Hotel lived up to expectations - this is the first review I've written, I felt so strongly.

The location I won't go over again as so many others have. However, I have been to New York several times and had some trepdiation over being so close to Times Square. However, there's no need to worry. It is frankly astonishing how close it is and yet how serene and quiet. The decor is somewhat strange - obviously I understand the references to the famous movie but nonetheless it is slightly strange to have murals of Morocco over the stairwell! However, we found this to be an enjoyable quirk.

The staff are all brilliant, without exception. Unfailingly polite, they always made a real effort to assist us in any way, and took the time to learn our names, why we were there, what we were planning on our trip - excellent.

The breakfast in Rick's Cafe was very good - a strong range of pastries, bread products, juice and drinks. I relish pretty much anything American and thus was overjoyed to discover they serve Hazelnut Coffee for breakfast! YES!

We were booked into a standard double. I had asked for a quiet room and sure enouhg, ours was round the back, with a window onto the fire escapes, which I was expecting and had no problem with. It was very quiet indeed, only a gentle hiss of traffic like you get in any city. The bathroom was excellent, and the room itself, small but well appointed. However, the only serious gripe I had with the Casablanca was the aircon system. They had one of the ubiquitous Freidrich aircon systems - the ones where the back end sticks out of the open window and the front sticks into the room. The problem was that this was rather noisy - we had to choose between having difficulty sleeping due to noise or heat! Given that I have seen many slimmer, quieter and smaller air con units in other hotels, I would really have thought that a hotel of this quality and price would have done a bit better.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Casablanca for anyone staying in New York. It's incredibly easy to get to and a lovely place to seek refuge from the city. It's a bit too expensive for me to make it a regular occurrence, but if you can afford it, go and have a brilliant trip.

One tip: do your research with where best to book. At the time I booked (February 2009) they had an "economic stimulous" package which included preferential room rate and free mug, bathrobe and Prosecco on arrival. And who wouldn't want a bathrobe? They are very fluffy! However, the proviso was that you had to pay 100% upfront. However, after some snooping, I found that Venere (who I had never used before) gave me the deal but allowed me to pay on check out - thus saving not only lost interest but a clear £150 on an improved exchange rate!

4 Thank Prosequimur
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2009

My husband picked this hotel because of the great reviews already on trip advisor and it lived up to them. The location is fantastic especially if you're a first time visitor to NYC, right in the heart of Times Square- it doesn't get any more central.
The staff in this hotel are outstanding- so friendly and so helpful, the manager even sent a bottle of Prosecco to our room to welcome us after we told him of our last disastrous trip to NYC.
The hotel is really nice, it has a warm and comfortable atmosphere. My only criticism, if I had to have one, is the bedrooms are typical of New York in that they are a little small and dark . However, what they lack in size they make up for in hospitality- bath robes, slippers, cotton buds, sewing kit, even chocolate! plus all the usual toiletries - the list is endless.
There is a reception every evening in the lounge where you are served complimentary wine, cheese and popcorn. It was such a nice way to relax after a hard days sight seeing.
The breakfast is also served in this 'cafe' lounge in the morning and has everything you need.
I wouldn't recommend the eating places next to the hotel- they're pretty poor and overpriced. Jump on the subway next to the hotel and eat at some of the fab places further out instead.
I would definitely stay in this hotel again and thank the staff very much for being so friendly and for their attention to detail.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DoraDementia
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Stayed for two nights in July. When my single room wasn't ready, Vinnie got quite embarrassed (needlessly) and quickly upgraded me (free) to a king, which was comfortable with a spacious bathroom. Nice complimentary breakfast buffet and wine and cheese in comfy second-floor lounge and good deal on parking right next door. The staff was unfailingly gracious and accommodating, and employees I had never met were addressing me personally by the second day. The service staff was friendly and cheerful. Despite being just steps from Times Square, it's very quiet as soon as you step inside the hotel. Great value in NYC; I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Dublin
Reviewed 17 July 2009

This hotel has an excellent location on times square. The rooms are comfortable and offer all the necessary facilities. We really liked the hotel's style and theme. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and a lovely breakfast was available every morning. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for location and service.

Scotland
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Casablanca.
From check-in onwards, the service was excellent - the staff were always ready to advise on where to go, how to get there etc - ideal for a first time visit to New York.
We stayed in a mini suite which was ideal for myself and 2 teenage boys. The rooms are not huge but are very comfortable and clean with everything you could want. Ours faced out the back - no view but very quiet. The room was a bit warm the first night - then I worked out how to use the air conditioning!! The free internet access in Ricks Cafe was very useful too. Breakfast was good and the cheese and wine in the evening is a lovely touch.
The location is excellent - just steps away from Times Square yet so quiet and peaceful in side.
Only one word of warning - if you eat at the italian restaurant next door, don't even attempt to eat an entree by yourself - the portions are huge!! The waiter did warn us but we still went ahead and ordered on each.
Would definitely recommnd the hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family