“Good Location, Good Value. Nothing to complaint about it.”

The Vanderbilt YMCA
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Good Location, Good Value. Nothing to complaint about it.”
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We are from Puerto Rico and we stay at YMCA Vanderbilt from 3/17/11until 3/20/11. The YMCA Vanderbilt is located in a walkable distance to Third Avenue, Chysler Building, Grand Central Station and just a few blocks from Times Square. Service was good, Security was good and the value is extra good. Nothing to complaint about it. The rooms are small but cozy. They have opportunities regarding the cleanliness of the rooms, but nothing to cry about it. I read a lot of bad critics, probably from people who pay $30 per night to stay in a hostel but expect a Waldorf Astoria Room. Be realistic, a hostel is a nice, cheap and affordable alternative to stay in New York City, do not expect luxuries. Just a room to sleep and plan your trips to New York City. Highly recommended for people who wants to see the best of New York, do shopping and have a great night at the bars.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Adoken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2011

For me, one of the most important factors when choosing accommodation is the location. I, personally, love a good balance between being in a safe well-known area and being away from the super touristy areas of a city; The Vanderbilt has this balance.
Me and my traveling companion walked to all the touristy areas and all the way back and even at night the area felt safe.
The rooms were very small and were basically just a bed, desk and fridge..oh and a tv (that didn't work, but who needs a TV when you're visiting New York?!)
We found the shared bathroom and shower always very clean and always stocked with body wash, soap and toilet roll. Also the water fountain in the hallway was much appreciated.
Staff at the help desk were well informed and they helped with storing suitcases and hiring a shuttle to the airport.
The atmosphere of the place was also pretty great , you really feel like part of the community.
If you are visiting NY on a budget and don't mind having a no frills place to crash this place is perfect. Also there is a great, very cheap pizzeria called Red Stone only a 5 minute walk from the hostel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Casteggio, Italia
Reviewed 12 March 2011

The hostel was right in the middle of town, that means lots of noise, it's New York! I didn't care about the noise anyway, apart from one night when the firm alarma kept us awake for 2 hours and there was no fire at all, but I'd better no complain about that, I prefer to stay awake for a false fire alarm than not being tell in case of a new one. The room was quite small, I was with a friend and we had some difficulty in moves but it was ok. The bathroom were clean enough, the only scary thing it's that one night I found a huge red insect in the toilet, luckily it was dead and I found it only 1 night out of 12 that I have been there, so after all my experience was pretty good.

Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Rooms are old, but clean. There are some large bathrooms with a private shower.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Rock Springs, Wyoming
Reviewed 8 January 2011

OK, let me say that I have stayed here quite a few times so this review is not based on an isolated event. I have stayed there over the years because of the location and the price...can't beat the price in Manhattan. However, I have HAD IT with this place! Never, ever stay here again. The customer service is ATROCIOUS. They are invariably rude and unprofessional. It is so bad you almost feel like you are being punked or something. I made a reservation at THEIR website at 2pm and when I arrived at 11pm to check in the only person there was a security guard who was extremely rude and unprofessional and said I was not on the list and could not check in. I showed him my reservation and he simply repeated while obnoxiously, loudly chewing his gum, that I was not on the list. I persisted and he made some phone calls. After about 45 minutes, he gave me a room key and took my passport (insisted on keeping it!). The next day I went down to check out and pay and they had all this attitude TOWARDS ME. Unbelievable. Then they told me the price was $115 when my reservation clearly states $105. Finally they relented, but just incredible rudeness. They act like they are doing YOU A FAVOR. And let me say, similar things have happened several times before. Alright, now the rooms...some are OK, and some are HORRIBLE. I got one this time right by the elevator and facing the street. You can only imagine the constant noise. Practically no sleep at all. So, that's it. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 29 December 2010

This Hotel is extremely silent, clean, safe and is at 2 minutes from the Rockfeller Center!

Rooms are crude and small. robably the smallest!
You have also to share showers and WC.
Greta sport facilities, but I oreferred to have a walk on the fifth1

Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Auckland
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I've stayed at two hostels in NYC, Tone on Lex and this one. In comparison, the Vanderbilt is a lot better. It has a more central location, it is clean and there is a gym with plenty of new equipment downstairs which guests can use free of charge, free-wifi and cable TV! There were a few issues: no kitchen, no hairdryer in the bathroom, noise of the pipes and temperature. The pipes are really loud and if you are a light sleeper, this is something you should take into consideration. It was also extremely hot in the room. I stayed in a single room and I would need to constantly drink water and dress in a tank and short shorts when it was 40 degrees F outside. The single is very small, enough room for a bed, a fridge and a desk to fit and not much else, but I was happy that my room had a window at least. And its NYC where space is a luxury! The communal bathrooms were somewhat clean.
In terms of service, I would have expected a lot more. The staff at the check-in desk were not helpful (when checking in, the receptionist gave me no information about the property.) And I had trouble opening my door. When I went to the front desk to ask for help, another receptionist gave me attitude and said sarcastically "well, then talk to security ma'am." Fortunately security was a lot more helpful and I think they just about paged every service staff to come help me open my door! About 4 men came by..how considerate. :)
But I'm also really confused at the Vanderbilt. It is of a higher calibre than many standard hostels purely because they offer a lot more single rooms (which come with a mini refrigerator) but on the otherhand, they also provide concierge services (!!) and a gym.
I would recommend this place if you don't want to subject yourself to staying at a sketchy hostel but don't want to waste all your money on luxury accommodation.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo