“My NY budget choice, once again”

The Vanderbilt YMCA
Chicago
“My NY budget choice, once again”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Staying in September 2011 and April 2012, this is my top no-frills budget choice for New York City. The location is great. I like this location much more than the Y near Columbus Circle / Central Park. Though the $105 price is too high for travel in other USA cities, I can tolerate it for a few days in The Big Apple.

During both visits, it is amusing to see women occassionally using the men's washrooms. It feels like a trip to Ally McBeal's shared facilities.

I recommend bringing earplugs -- not everyone has the same wake and sleep schedule as you in these communal digs. Not everyone knows to gently shut their doors.

In addition to the many subway choices at nearby Grand Central station, I also like the frequent crosstown 42nd St bus, located five blocks away downtown. The 42nd St bus is especially helpful to and from Broadway theatres. The bus also continues west to the Circle Line boats at the Hudson River.

On my next NY visit, I will select the 47th St YMCA again.

Room Tip: For men, if available, ask for any single room ending in '00'. You will be away from the cha...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
københavn
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I payed 115 dollers for a room that looked like a prison cell, 115 dollers !!! The toilet and shower were at the hallway, but no hot water.

The persons working there were awful treating you as crap. I wanted to book a shuttle to newark airport from the hostel. The concierge recommended me to do that because it was difficult with the trains in the week-end !! My flight was at 6 pm. The concierge wanted to book the shuttle 12.10 I told him that was too early, I wanted to book the shuttle at 2 pm. He said it was too late that i would miss my flight he was screaming like hell ?? Well it's for me to decide WHEN i will take the shuttle it is MY PROBLEM if i miss my flight. I wanted to be in the airport at 3 PM 3 hours before take off NOT before. He should just book the shuttle when i ask him to. He was over the top. I didn't bother to discuss with him. Eventually I took a direct train from Penn station it took 25 min I was there 2:45 more than 3 hours before departure and the train is half prize 20 dollers. The shuttle costs 40 dollers. So I was right. I would never recommend that place....

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Port Talbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2012

If you are looking for a cheap and cheerful place to stay within walking distance to Time Square and Empire State Building then this place is for you. It's certainly not the Ritz but the location is great. The rooms are small but clean. All you need for a good nights sleep after all the shopping you have done :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank shazray
London, UK
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Good location but the hostel has not been renovated since the 70s (at least it looks like it). very very dated rooms and bathrooms. Walking distance to Times Square (about 10 mins) and Empire State Building (10 mins). If you can put up with not so nice rooms and not so nice bathrooms, than this is an OK place to stay keeping in mind that NYC is very expensive.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Barbara_2010_UK
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 April 2012

As a traveller on a budget, I have realistic expectations regarding the quality of the rooms and customer service provided at the places I choose to stay at. However, my experience at the Vanderbilt YMCA fell far below my low expectations and I do not recommend staying here.

Rooms: The room was extremely small with a fridge and a 'TV' (used in the loosest sense of the word). Although it was clearly very old, the room was clean and is sufficient if you plan on spending as little time in your room as possible.

Location: The Vanderbilt YMCA is situated quite close to many tourist attractions in mid town Manhattan and about four to five blocks away from the subway station.

Wifi: Guests are given a wifi username and password upon check-in - however, wifi did not work at all in the room and was unreliable even in the 'lobby' area. This is especially troublesome for international travelers who do not have internet on their phones and are relying on wifi from their place of accommodation.

Customer Service: The service at the Vanderbilt YMCA is by far the worst I have ever experienced. The staff, particularly the Member & Guest Rooms Coordinator, are extremely rude, condescending and unhelpful.

I had made a booking for 2 nights on a twin room for myself and two friends (friend #1 and friend #2). Friend #1 was leaving New York after the first night whilst friend #2 was arriving on the second night. The plan was that friend #2 would take the bed now left empty by friend #1. When we came back to the YMCA to make the switch, we were told this was not allowed for policy and security reasons.

I understand the logic behind this policy, but the way the matter was handled was done extremely poorly. Not only did the Guest Rooms Coordinator immediately refuse our request, without explaining the reason for doing so until prompted, but he also insinuated that we would be dishonest and make the switch secretly. Not only was this insulting, but to make his suspicions obvious to the security guards right in front of us was incredibly unprofessional. The only solution that we were given was to book another room for $115. We were obviously unhappy about the situation, but remained polite at all times. The same cannot be said for the Guest Rooms Coordinator - he was immediately on the offensive and disinterested in seeking another solution to the problem.

I have a high tolerance for poor customer service, especially when I am on a budget - I can tolerate staff who are disinterested or passive. However, this experience has guaranteed that I will never return to the Vanderbilt YMCA.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Susan H
FLORIAN�OLIS
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Nice location, very helpful staff, hot shower and friendly guests. Internet access only in the living room but they have a confortable place. Price is also good and it's pleasant for all ages.

Room Tip: Book early to get ensuite rooms and ask for a frigobar/mini-refrigerator.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nina_Remor
Axbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Excellent budget accommodation for group visits to NYC. Friendly security guys with useful advice and bolt cutters for students losing padlock keys on their cases... We had to reschedule our Empire State Building visit though due to check in staff locking tickets in the safe and no one being able to access until the next day, which was frustrating. Excellent gym and pool facility which was always uncrowded when we visited. Remember to take a padlock if you want to use the pool lockers though, free use of towels also for these facilities also makes travelling a little lighter. Very clean but minimal number of toilets / showers would mean a wait at peak times.The main gripe from our group was the total lack of wifi coverage for Skyping home, except for 3rd. floor by the lifts. All in all an excellent stay that provides an affordable, basic facility for exploring all of NYC's urban character.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from noisy student groups and if you need wifi, 3rd. floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business