“Private and tiny, but comfy...”

The Vanderbilt YMCA
“Private and tiny, but comfy...”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Bed was great! Perfect to rest, and that's it. Absolutely tiny, as much as I had to close and lift my both luggages, otherwise I couldn't move in the room (single bed). The shared bathroom wasn't bad either, but there were anyone on my floor sharing it with me, so it was very clean, not sure how it would be with full floor using it. The terrible part is that you have wifi access, but it doesn't work inside the rooms, so people sit on the corridors outside their room to use internet. Safe..people at front desk check if you have the key to get into the elevator, which I haven't seen in any other place I've stayed in.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms far from the bath...people slap doors all the time..
1 Thank Nina_Novelli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I went with about 30 other students to the YMCA Vanderbilt, Jesus Christ, this place is worst then hell. The window had a gap in, which i thought it would ventilate the room, but no, it was the hottest room ever. The bunk bed didn't have a ladder, so i had to use the chair provided as a ladder. The metal under my top bunk was bent beyond belief, and every time i moved, the whole bed shook, and i often woke my friend up from just turning over. The showers where small and grotty, but that wasn't the worst part. In one of the rooms, there was a cockroach in the light.
So, if you really want to stay in Hell, be my guest.

3 Thank J J

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Stayed here last week for 2 nites at $105 pn, everything written below is fair and its depends whether you are a fusspot used to 3 star hotels (4/5 star hotel guests will walk out straightaway after looking at the room and the bunk bed which is no bigger than your wc (again this depends which state you live and the size of your wc corrrespond w size of wc). The best reasons for staying here: walking distances to major sights esp Time Square, Top of the Rock, Grand Central (for the market and food halls yes !!. Longer walks say 1.5 miles to Central park or Macy. Near to many eating joints esp good for salad, breakfast (i do not mean fine dinning), big gym with free access to work out.

The downsides - yes it s true, bunk beds that looks like falling apart, rooms with windows that open up to back of building, lino floor (suggest you bring a pair of slipper which is also handy for walking to wc).

Do not expect your room to have a washbasin, mirror, luggage rack, digital tv, window with a view. The wc are designed for men and women and i ll be surprised to see any naked women showering in the men's room (which has only 2 shower heads) and open. If you are a prude, shower with your underwear. Free shampoo but no soap (there was a used one but i rather not catch any exotic disease.

As for transfer to the airport, yes the man at the counter does not take booking after early afternoon. However if you are not luggage big suitcases without wheels it is 20 mins walk to the shuttle bus to airports outside Grand Central station.

Yes, i would come back again but that is because i cannot afford the Grand Hyatt and only need a bed for sleeping.

By the way, wifi is free and okay at the lobby and no reception inside the rooms, which is likely blocking the wifi waves.

Good or bad, its really down to your expectations and wallet size.

4 Thank Highadventurer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights seeing the sights of NYC

And for that its almost perfect
Its easy to find and so near everything, this isn't somewhere to be lounging around all day
Sleep there, regroup there and you will do so in comfort and cleaness.

Fine friendly staff, the rooms simple but you get a TV and a fridge and cupboard, my bed was totally fine. If anything the rooms just smelt of cleaner..which to be frank was conforting givent the cheap price I paid for and that its a YMCA

Toilets and showers, yeah they are shared and in locked rooms, but that was fine to , felt comfitable using them all.

This place is more than fine for a place to sleep whilst you are spending your days out exploring the city.

I really recomend

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Andrew U
London
Reviewed 19 April 2012

After reading reviews of the vanderbilt on trip advisor I was dreading my stay. The arrival was daunting but as I enterd the building I was relieved to see a modern reception area with a high tech fully equipt gym behind! They gave me and my freind our key and soon we got in the lift to hell taking us up to the prison cells. Saying prison cell, I have seen television programs about prisons and I have got the admit, they looked a lot cleaner than my room. The bunk bed has nothing to stop you falling off the top mattress and the drop was a good 5ft! The bed was also on wheels leaving you wheeling around the box room making sleep almost impossible. After conversing with other friends on the trip we soon learned that they was only two slats holding up the top mattress on one bed and a sticker saying their bed was unfit for human use. This was out first horror, there were many more after this. The floor was a grubby lino with a outdated patten which had peices missing reviling the floorboards underneath. The windows were so old and stiff they were permenantly half open leaving the room incredibaly cold and nosiy. After putting the heating on we noticed a constant terrible clanging noise which continued throughout the night. When we asked for help from maintanence a grumpy forigen man came in our room not helping at all and leaving us very confused as it was very difficult to understand his accent. The toilets were rather primative, only two per hall (around 96 people) making it unhygenic and smelly. Similar to the rooms they wernt clean at all! They were only three showers avalible, one in the bathrooms with a window making it easy for any pervy people to see you, one located next door which was completly broken and one with a rat, oh no the largest hair ball I had ever seen sitting in the drain. Your eyes could never escape the sight of mould and dust wherever you went in the hostel due to sheer amount of it. I would advise one takes a mattress protector and duvet if possible because you are left with a sheet to cover your shivering body in the ice cold room. Me and my friend woke up many times in the night due to the lack of warmth provided by out sheets. As for the mattress the was a choice between one with springs and one hard as a rock, this suprised us as we assumed all matresses would be a bulk buy leaving us to belive all furniture in the vanderbilt is a mish mash of rubbish they found on a dump. The water fountain on our level was completly broken leaving everyone dehydrated and feeling ill. This place is not fit for human use, its abserloutley appaling and no one should have to experience that in their life. I am seriously questioning if the hostel has had a safetly check in the last 15 years and whether the beds passed safety regulations as a serious accident could very easily have happend. This hostel put a serious downer on the trip and I would strongly adivse you not to go near the YMCA vanderbilt.

Room Tip: Dont go there, there are none!!!
4 Thank lumpy J
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

It was good for the money i paid, My room was tiny and it felt like my bed was held together my celo tape. It was cleaned everyday (bins emptyed). There was one shower to share between my whole floor for girls, and two toilets. The Bathrooms were disgusting. The staff wernt too bothered but they wasnt rude to me but i heard that they was rude to some of the other guests. At night i was rudely woken by clanging pipes, this happened every night twice.

Chicago
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Staying in September 2011 and April 2012, this is my top no-frills budget choice for New York City. The location is great. I like this location much more than the Y near Columbus Circle / Central Park. Though the $105 price is too high for travel in other USA cities, I can tolerate it for a few days in The Big Apple.

During both visits, it is amusing to see women occassionally using the men's washrooms. It feels like a trip to Ally McBeal's shared facilities.

I recommend bringing earplugs -- not everyone has the same wake and sleep schedule as you in these communal digs. Not everyone knows to gently shut their doors.

In addition to the many subway choices at nearby Grand Central station, I also like the frequent crosstown 42nd St bus, located five blocks away downtown. The 42nd St bus is especially helpful to and from Broadway theatres. The bus also continues west to the Circle Line boats at the Hudson River.

On my next NY visit, I will select the 47th St YMCA again.

Room Tip: For men, if available, ask for any single room ending in '00'. You will be away from the cha...