“Great location but that's about it”

The Vanderbilt YMCA
Vantaa, Finland
“Great location but that's about it”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I travelled to NYC with a friend and our main priority was to find an affordable place to stay around midtown Manhattan. This was the place since it fitted our budget (considering it was in NYC) and close to Times Square where we could walk in about 15 minutes. The location of this hostel was basically the only good thing about staying there. The rooms are so tiny!! We had two suitcases on the floof and there were almost no room left to move around! Another annoying thing was that the walls and the door were so thin that everything could be heard inside the room. So if you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs or don't stay here.

We could't close the window in our room all the way and therefore also every noise from the street got in our room. Because of the window the room was quite cold when we first got there but luckily we got the heating working (it was still autumn but I don't know how effective the heating system is during the winter if the window cannot be closed all the way). There were really old curtains and they didn't work as a shade, so we had to arrange our own shade using a scarf! The bunk beds were awful, I slept in the upper bed and I'm not even that heavy but the whole system seemed to swing from side to side when I rolled over. Obviously not made for a bigger person, in fact, I'm not sure who can use the beds comfortably. The shared bathrooms were disgusting, hair and wet towels lying on the floor which people didn't seem to bother picking up. All in all going to the toilet/bathroom and just moving around in the tiny hostel room required slippers, so make sure to bring your own.

Definitely not suitable for families or couples. Think it's meant for solo travellers or friends. We stayed there for 4 nights and I think that was the maximum I could have stayed there anyway but for budget traveller who doesn't mind about anything else than a good location, this is a good choise.

Room Tip: NOT a room from the street side.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank TiiaL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I work at a Summer Camp in the USA for the summer and every year after, I go travelling. Last year after summer 2011, myself and a friend decided to meet in NYC. We wanted to book HI Hostel for 4 nights but could only get 3, so decided to book this hostel for the other night. BIGGEST mistake of my life. We got there and it looked great. The gym and reception looked perfectly fine and clean. When we were given our room keys, we got to the room and there was a notice on our room door to say "This door will be open throughout the day due to painting doors"! Which meant when we were out, our door would be left open and anyone could walk in! Needless to say we took all of our valuables with us! As we walked in, there were 2 of us staying in the room so there was a bunk bed, a tv and pretty much thats it, you couldn't fit anything else in! With our bags and us, we had to manoeuvre over over our bags to get to anywhere. It was filthy and even the mirror was dirty. The bathroom in our corridor was closed so we had to walk over another one to go to the toilet. Which was also filthy and in the middle of renovation. We showered VERY quickly in our swimsuits and flip flops and brushed our teeth in the McDonalds along the street. I did not feel safe or clean in this hostel and will NEVER stay here again. We were so glad we only stayed here for one night and were so thankful when we could get to the HI Hostel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lauramish

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I stayed in the Vanderbilt YMCA in October last year and I would like to Thank Jeanette and Jennifer for their very kind help and professional Customer Service..The Hostel is close to Times Square and if you on a budget and wanting to see NY then this is the place to stay..For the price you have amazing facilities including a Gym and Swimming Pool..The rooms are small granted,but when in New York all you need is a place to sleep ..I would stay here again without doubt...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Jim978
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This hostel is one of the better ones out there. I wouldn't normally choose a hostel, but I was able to get a room here during Hurricane Sandy. The communal bathrooms are clean, and there is even a separate shower room on every floor, but this could be so much cleaner!
I was staying on floor 3, and these are actually the best rooms in the hostel, as they have a double bed and a flat screen tv.
Bring your own towel and bathroom amenities, as these aren't available. There is also a gym on site. There is also a laundry room on the 3rd floor.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor rooms offer the best selection
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 November 2012

stayed there for 4 nights ,anyone that stayed there and complained should have paid the extra 100 dollars a night and stayed elsewhere. We were very happy .Even in the cold weather outside we had to leave the window open as the room was so warm.We left every morn at 9 and returned at 9 10 pm just to sleep thats what we paid for ,i used the steam room down stairs and the showers in t morn .Altogether great location helpful staff very happy

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Even though the place has a good location and is cheap for a hotel (which thet pretent to be), I would never recommend going there. Small rooms, filthy, smelly and I thought I was sleeping with bugs. On top of that horrible service and staff.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank nminnen
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

So, the rooms are small, you share bathrooms, it can be a bit noisy.
However, I prepared. I took some extra towels and a pillow cover, slippers and extra deodorant. I used old stuff, to leave behind, more room for souvenirs. I fluffed up the pillow with the towels and pillow cover, wore slippers all the time, used earplugs at night and sprayed some deodorant for a better smel. Perfect stay for four nights! Enjoy the atmosphere, friendlyness and location. You are hardly there anyway, New York is great!

• Stayed October 2012