“Great for budget-minded travelers”

The Vanderbilt YMCA
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Staying in Manhattan can be quite expensive, so when I visit, I check out the YMCA. The rooms are clean - but very stark and modest. The roosharedm I had included a single bed, small desk, small coat closet, and a TV. The bathrooms are shared by everyone staying on that floor.
If you want luxuries, this is NOT the place for you. But if you are looking for a clean safe place to stay for a night of two, I highly recommend it.
The Vanderbilt YMCA is centrally located on 47th Street and East 3rd Ave - easy walking distance to Grand Central Station, theatre, shopping, etc.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mark M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

Reviewed 11 November 2013

As a current YMCA gym member, I hope there was some deals which they can accommodate v.s paying the regular full-price but for what I had paid for, was good enough and met my budget limit. This hostel is located in perfect location and at least 3 nearby subways, great 15 mins walking distance to Time Square and 10 minutes to the United Nation building. This is more of a dorm room setting which is fine because 80% of my time, was out site seeing and touring. I did not take advantage of the gym because I could not wake-up on time from all the walking a day before. But this location, does offering great classes and regret for not participating but already had plans arranged. There is a very nice 24 hr deli located infront of the hostel and others, where are a couple of blocks away but do close around 9-10 pm and fromthere, you would have to head out into Time Square. The room is made daily but there are no soap & shampoo included, only 2 towels and 1 flat pillow. The housekeeper is very kind to provided 2 extras to support my neck and the bed, is very comfortable and it's a twin size like I had mentioned, this is a dorm room setting. I am 5'7, 200 lbs (stocky not fat) and slept comfortably as well. There is a small refridgerator, small desk with dresser, and clothes hanger rail. The restroom & shower room are both located down the hall and never busy whenever it's needed, or maybe I go when everyone is out. There is a lounge area & kitchen on my floor (4th), where I was able to use to use my ipad and warm-up my food. You can hear your neighbor pushing chairs back and forth but it didn't bother me. There is a vending machine as well but highly recommend purchase your beverage outside because its $1.75 for a regular coke bottle. I have friends from NYC but not able to invite them to come hang-out because "no visitor allowed". Overall, this is a good place to stay and especially it's in the city of everything. The hotel staff are there from 7 AM until midnight and the 1st night I had arrived, was 11:00 PM and next thing I had noticed, the staff was gone at midnight so imagine if I arrive afterward. The staff did mentioned my reservation did not show-up in their system, which that needs some improvement and luckily, I have it on hard-copy to proved the room was reserved. There is a shuttle bus, which will transport you from the hostel to airport but that will cost $20-30 per person. I did not utilize the service and used the metro & transferred to airport shuttle since I have an unlimited metro card. If you do a bunch of research, you can save a bunch of money and again, I would highly recommend this place and especially if you plan to travel with a friend in the future. You can save alot!

Room Tip: If you are traveling solo, this is a perfect location and if you have budget limit.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank lthoui1981
Reviewed 3 November 2013

A friend recommended this to me years ago and I have stayed there every time since. Rooms are tiny (though there was an upgrade a few years ago, so now I don't know), but are you in NYC for the hotel room?! There are (were) men's floors, women's floors and co-ed floors. I stayed every time in a double room which had two bunk beds, a tv and a small desk/dresser. you could barely get around and the bathroom was communal, down the hall. I know; it sounds not great, but it is. In the am, you go to the bath/ shower room and there are toilet stalls with locking doors, a communal shower and a few private showers. there is usually an am line for the private showers, but you don't have to get to work, so relax! Downstairs there is a dining room, exercise rooms, etc. , like all Ys. I never ate there; it's New York! Why would I eat at the Y? But the fellow who recommended it to me did eat there (he's pretty cheap) and said it was okay. there is a front desk and a door person. after dark, the front door is locked and you have to show your key to get in.
This place is all about the location: it is a couple blocks from the UN, main subway line, lots of delis, the bus line. You can walk across town in minutes. It's a good neighbourhood so you feel safe coming home after shows. I think it's a hidden treasure.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Newleaph-M
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Rooms are very good with beds made every day and also new towels provided every day. The removal of old towels though does not seem to happen. The rooms are very cramped. There is just enough room for a double bunk and a walkway. It is not possible fop two people to be in the room packing or repacking. The only time they can really be is when sleeping. That is OK but the lounge is very, very small so there is limited places for people to gather. As a result the lobby overflows. The laundry us expensive but to their credit they provide a little lounge to watch TV etc. The WiFi was hard to connect to. They are secure rooms with good door security. Overall it is good for what you pay in New York. Bathrooms were very clean. In our room we had a tv that jutted out from the wall. Its stand had a very sharp edge at head height which could cause some damage.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank C W
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I had booked another Hostel on the upper westside and it let me down completely... they had some leak so they said there were no rooms available anymore... The only upside was that the owner booked us at Vanderbilt! Its really a very great hostel, there are a lot of young people walking around and a gym you can use. I hardly used a taxi , I walked almost everywhere! The showers were never a problem when I was there... There aren't many but I only had to wait once.

Room Tip: I had a room with a bunk bed it was very small but I was hardly in there (just to sleep) so its enou...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 October 2013

When I arrived, they provided an apartment on third floor with bad lock, hosting the third day I was stuck inside because of the bad lock and had to jump out the window. They provided me a better room, but did not offset the embarrassment.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Sillas L
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very simple, but the location is worth it! Just a few blocks outside grand central. There's only one restroom per floor... That's not a problem, unless you're facing a school trip in your floor!