“A place to lay your head”

The Vanderbilt YMCA
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Firstly I would like to record my thanks to the staff of the Y. They were uniformly professional and friendly, which is impressive when you consider they were dealing with 76 students. Well done to all of you.
Secondly I would like to address some of the other commentaries about the YMCA. It is completely true that it is not a 'nice' hotel. This is unarguably true, but kind of misses the damn point. The YMCA is a hostel. Do not come here if you want to find romance in a cocktail bar (try the Aloft in Harlem). Don't come here if you want to stroll from your king-size bed to the marble lined en-suite bathroom. It's a hostel. It's cheap, sparse and effective.
The bedroom I had was tiny (it might well be the smallest I've ever stayed in). It had the obligatory shaky US electrical set up where plugging a device in looks, to a European, like a combined dare and free-market challenge to socialist health and safety culture. But it all works.
It wasn't loud, which is impressive considering my party.
It was a bit smelly, but not terrible (again, I stayed in worse).
It was generally clean, except for the floor which seemed to have a mud-slick around the bed legs (I have no idea, New York isn't a notoriously muddy place).
The 7th floor rooms had free WIFI which made my guys very happy, and the connection was fast enough I could Skype to my family on my daughter's birthday.
The bathrooms were modern and spotless. One of the mens showers was missing a lock (a temporary condition I assume from the plastic bag stuffed in the gap). The women's bathrooms were all double lockable and only accessible to the guests.
All in all it is a viable place to take a party of students, but not luxurious.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Wandering_Bukanin
Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a trip to New York with my college, expected a basic stay due to cheap price. However, this was awful, the staff were rude and made us stand outside while waiting for our room even though it was past the check in time - in the snow! The rooms were in comfortable and dirty, we found Multiple cockroaches and the window did not close as it was broken, very cold night. The bathroom was on the otherwise of our floor so had to do a quick run back in your towel. The female showers are communal with no shower curtains, as they were broken so it wasn't a nice experience.
The staff were rude and my friends got locked out of their room on our check out day and there passport was in the room and they refused to let them back in and said that it was there fault and not their problem, we even offered to pay for them to print a new card! (They were only paper) in the end an adult had to literally shout to at the receptionist to convince her to let us back in the room - was a scary experience.
As this is a hostel many strange people actually live here and on several occasions they would speak to me and were quite intimidating, I did not sleep well as I actually felt very unsafe.
The location is good as it's very central to Times Square, Central Park etc but I would never stay here again. I would rather pay more for a nicer hotel and then set foot in this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank Youngcouplereviews
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We recently took a school party of 44 to stay at the YMCA.

Having done the research i knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. Rooms were clean, showers and bathrooms were clean and worked well, even had some wireless in the room (didn't always work) 9&10 floor, even gave us towels in the room.

Alex was great and really helpful. Gym was good, swimming pool was good.

But to be honest we were not in the hostel that much, we left at 7.30am and returned at 10 pm so we just slept there.

I can't see how anyone would've disappointed with it unless they had not done the research, we will come back again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Looking for a few nights in Manhattan in New York with a limited budget, this accommodation will provide the basics, good location, safe and warm place to stay. The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful, the use of the gym and the pool is a bonus but the guest rooms are very basic, the bathroom facilities also very basic. It seemed that the guest rooms and bathrooms could do with a really deep clean. If you don't need much for your comfort, this property will do just fine for a budget price in an expensive city like New York.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L55_11
Reviewed 11 March 2014

You get what you pay for. Cheap and tacky rooms.
Rooms are extremely small and no where near big enough for 2 people, beds are uncomfortable and dangerous in some instances but housekeeping clean rooms daily as long as you do not leave anything on the beds. Shared toilets and showers are not an issue as I thought they would. WiFi is usable and not an issue either, amazing gym and swimming facilities there but severely let down by the rooms. Location is ideal for those wanting to get out with 51st Street Subway station and Grand Central termnal a short walk away and Times Square being a short 10-15 minute walk away. No food provided there either. A major plus is the security of the hostel which demand you show your room card before entering the lift's to the rooms making the place secure. Would stay again if I was by myself but not for 2 or more people due to cramped rooms.

Room Tip: Don't come here.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2014

First time staying at a hostel. Husband and I already pre-judged the place and was actually surprised. We paid $113 a night as apposed to some sites who we're charging $87-$99. Why we went with the most expensive rate I have no idea. But I just didn't trust booking through a hostel website vs the YMCA site. We were able to use the Wifi unlike what the lady at the front desk said. I guess the wifi doesn't usually work on the sixth floor? Well it did for us which was a plus when uploading pictures and stuff from our days out on our laptop. This was also our first shared bathroom experience with a hotel. It wasn't as bad as we imagined women get their own covered stall and the men get their own room (I'm speaking only for the 6th floor) , just bring shower shoes and don't you dare think about using the loofas left by others. New towels are left by housekeeping every morning or there's a linen closet you could grab if needed. The room floors were pretty sketch and so we're the sheets but what do you expect, we stayed here knowing what we were gonna walk into but happy it was much better as expected. Rooms are small but alas, it's NYC. Short walk to multiple subway stations and some damn good street food. Can't vouch on the gym or other services provided.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lesa G
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I've stayed here twice in August 2012 and 2013.

In August 2012 the staff were very rude and didn't provide me with any information, did make you feel like you was harassing them.

Aug 2013, was completely different the lady at the reception provided me with lots of information and use of the gym, she was also very friendly. The location is great a few blocks away from Grand Central and you can gain access to anywhere in NYC easily. Also many shops and fast food places are near by if your in a rush or on a low budget.

I had a private room. The room is basic and cheap. But remember its NYC its expensive and you get what you pay for and you only need a place to sleep which the hostel is perfect for. When I go back to NYC I will stay here again

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo