The Vanderbilt YMCA
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$216
US$185
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$157
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$191
US$139
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$382
US$350
US$168
US$138
  • Room Service
Soho Grand Hotel(New York City)
US$440
US$323
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$377
US$250
Official Site
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$312
US$278
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$148
  • Restaurant
Archer Hotel New York(New York City)
US$331
US$298
Agoda.com
1,406 results
All reviewsgrand central stationsteam roomlaundry roomunited nationsrooms are smallmini fridgeair conditionerbig appleempire state buildinglocation was perfectrockefeller centersubwaydeliavejfk
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The customer service at this hostel is probably the worst I have received in my life. No one wanted to help us, staff would ignore us as we stood at the counter and any response was often with an irritated tone. There was one staff member who was quite lovely and helpful, but every other member of staff were extremely rude! This was the first place we had arrived on our first big overseas trip, and the welcome we received made us feel very anxious and scared as how we were going to handle the big city with no help! The room itself was a bit of a shoebox but that was to be expected. It was clean and it was just a place to sleep and that's all we needed it for. The hostel itself was fine. It had facilities such as a kitchen and laundry which were very useful. But the customer service ( bar one female staff member) was horrible! I'm not one to write reviews unless I feel strongly about something. I feel it is important for people to know what to expect. We still had a great time in New York but just had to keep to ourselves when we would return to our hostel.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Emily G
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here because of budget but would steer well clear next time. Room was exceedingly small with an ancient looking radiator that banged and gurgled all night..think eraser head !! People constantly shouting out of windows all night coupled with the sounds of sirens ( well this is NY ) but little to no soundproofing. Shower and toilet area not private at all but this is the YMCA after all, and a cleaner who would just barge into the room when I was still in bed!! Reception staff were helpful though and it is in a nice area of Manhattan.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank synthman
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked the single normal room in july 2014 and these are my opinions. First of all they made me wait from 11AM till 3PM because the room is not ready and I cannot checkin. If you want to leave the luggage they charge you 2$/per/bag. When I came back at 3PM they gave me a dirty room with sheets that were not changed. I complained and then they gave me a clean one.
What can I say about the room: it's veeeeeeeeeeeeery small, I think under 6 square meters. It has a bed and a small desk. The window is actually covered with some plastic and the air conditioner so not much to see outside and not too much light coming in either. The AC is veeery noisy. If you turn it on you can hardly sleep.
The most interesting and annoying fact is that there are no visitors permitted, so for example if you want to meet up with some friends in NY that want to visit you to the hotel it's not allowed. Who does this? What kind of hotel is not allowing visitors? More than that you need to show the key every time you come in so that they can check you stay there. It's almost like a jail.
The room/bed/sheets are quite clean, I have no complaints there. The staff is not too polite.
The location is great (close to grand central and UN buildings) althought there is a catch here... it's between metro stations, so no matter where you go it's 10minutes to the closest metro station. This can be a problem if you have heavy luggage and you have to walk all these km, or take a taxi.
I would recommend this hotel for the price, it's the most affordable one in manhattan with this price. The rest are way too expensive and without a real reason.
I hope this review will make you a better picture of the place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank lihte
Reviewed 22 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This YMCA has a perfect location, great staff, nice clean rooms and very affordable. I will deffinately stay here again in the future. The Vanderbuilt YMCA makes NY City affordable which is almost impossible.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business