“Enkel hostel!”

The Vanderbilt YMCA
Reviewed 11 August 2014

we were disappointed about this place.
the room was so little, narrow and not so special clean.
floor in the bathroom was full of water, show sinks do not work, some o toilet does not work o it was definitely not clean.
staff was not so nice.
we do not recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maggan50
Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I spent a week solo here and I had the chance to stay in 2 types of rooms.

Location: Vanderbilt YMCA is located midway between 2 metro stations and it's a 5 blocks 7-10walk to either. The neighborhood felt rather safe, thus there's no problems with walking back from the the train stations at night.
There's a 24hr grocery shop across the street. No problems with food too.
Rooms : I reserved a single room with private bathroom (not ensuite. 1 person in one bathroom, with shower, toilet and sink) from the YMCA own website for the 1st leg of my stay. The room IS small, but clean. It's just a place to sleep at night. Suitable, affordable for a solo traveler. This is a room on the 4th level.

For the 2nd leg of my stay, I booked a single shared bathroom with Expedia. I was charged at the point of booking but my reservation NEVER got across to Vanderbilt YMCA. Thus it's always good to check with the place when booking is done with 3rd party sites.

Because I was there earlier I was able to give them notice of my 2nd reservation. I went to check out the shared bathroom on the 8th level. It's rather old looking. I am not sure if I would book these the next time.

Because my reservation was messed up by Expedia, and there wasn't any other rooms available, I was given a free upgraded to a double room with ensuite bathroom. But don't count on it! I am just fortunate things happen this way :). The room was fantastic. Big TV , clean bed and bathroom , the room was much bigger. The AC was just a tad noisy.

Staff and security personnel were friendly. There's a concierge at the ground floor to help with day tours or booking of shuttle to the airport.

For those who are planning short trips in the midst of your stay here, there's no overnight luggage storage here unless you don't mind paying $25 per luggage per day.

Overall, I was quite happy with my stay here.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Ian R
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The customer service at this hostel is probably the worst I have received in my life. No one wanted to help us, staff would ignore us as we stood at the counter and any response was often with an irritated tone. There was one staff member who was quite lovely and helpful, but every other member of staff were extremely rude! This was the first place we had arrived on our first big overseas trip, and the welcome we received made us feel very anxious and scared as how we were going to handle the big city with no help! The room itself was a bit of a shoebox but that was to be expected. It was clean and it was just a place to sleep and that's all we needed it for. The hostel itself was fine. It had facilities such as a kitchen and laundry which were very useful. But the customer service ( bar one female staff member) was horrible! I'm not one to write reviews unless I feel strongly about something. I feel it is important for people to know what to expect. We still had a great time in New York but just had to keep to ourselves when we would return to our hostel.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Emily G
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here because of budget but would steer well clear next time. Room was exceedingly small with an ancient looking radiator that banged and gurgled all night..think eraser head !! People constantly shouting out of windows all night coupled with the sounds of sirens ( well this is NY ) but little to no soundproofing. Shower and toilet area not private at all but this is the YMCA after all, and a cleaner who would just barge into the room when I was still in bed!! Reception staff were helpful though and it is in a nice area of Manhattan.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank synthman
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked the single normal room in july 2014 and these are my opinions. First of all they made me wait from 11AM till 3PM because the room is not ready and I cannot checkin. If you want to leave the luggage they charge you 2$/per/bag. When I came back at 3PM they gave me a dirty room with sheets that were not changed. I complained and then they gave me a clean one.
What can I say about the room: it's veeeeeeeeeeeeery small, I think under 6 square meters. It has a bed and a small desk. The window is actually covered with some plastic and the air conditioner so not much to see outside and not too much light coming in either. The AC is veeery noisy. If you turn it on you can hardly sleep.
The most interesting and annoying fact is that there are no visitors permitted, so for example if you want to meet up with some friends in NY that want to visit you to the hotel it's not allowed. Who does this? What kind of hotel is not allowing visitors? More than that you need to show the key every time you come in so that they can check you stay there. It's almost like a jail.
The room/bed/sheets are quite clean, I have no complaints there. The staff is not too polite.
The location is great (close to grand central and UN buildings) althought there is a catch here... it's between metro stations, so no matter where you go it's 10minutes to the closest metro station. This can be a problem if you have heavy luggage and you have to walk all these km, or take a taxi.
I would recommend this hotel for the price, it's the most affordable one in manhattan with this price. The rest are way too expensive and without a real reason.
I hope this review will make you a better picture of the place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank lihte
Reviewed 22 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
2  Thank america_pc92
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This YMCA has a perfect location, great staff, nice clean rooms and very affordable. I will deffinately stay here again in the future. The Vanderbuilt YMCA makes NY City affordable which is almost impossible.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business