“Perfect design, nice location, in a word great boutique hotel”

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #188 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect design, nice location, in a word great boutique hotel”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed there 3 times. Friendly staff. Beautiful rooms ( Andrée Putman did a great job). No need to give more details, it's what you can expect from a Boutique hotel in NYC. Of course there is competition but you can find some good deals, so give it a try. Love it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you - you said it all in a very concise way! Yes you are right that at many times of the year we offer very competitive rates so keep looking at the website!

Love your glasses by the way!

DR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Overall, our stay at the Morgans was very good. The ratings above reflect my sentiment too that it's about a 4.5 out of 5. Location is hard to match as it is practically in the middle of Midtown.

Common Areas
The hotel's design is modern and totally unpretentious. The newly renovated lounge/dining area where breakfast is served was excellently designed and is actually nicer than the lobby. It is also equipped with several huge lounge-type restrooms at the lounge's loft for common use. I found it very convenient too as these restrooms gave me a space to freshen up from my 18+-hour flight from Asia because my flight arrived way ahead of check in time (10am). Food selection was limited (Continental style) but each available item (breads, yoghurt, fruit, coffee)were all good and of the best quality. Corridors leading to the rooms though need improvement as it was dark and more narrow than the usual. Maybe better lighting or lighter shades for walls may do.

Rooms
The look and feel is as shown on the website; modern with light gray and white hues. We stayed in a Queen Room and was, in my opinion, big enough for two people each with 1 mid-sized check-in and hand carry each. It had all the necessary amenities; safe, minibar, mini-ref, a closet and desk. Full-length mirror is conveniently placed behind the cabinet door of the minibar.

Bathrooms
I think this is where the Morgans needs improvement on. It was small; good enough for one-at-a-time use and is totally fine. What concerns me though is the layout. The door is placed in the middle of the Bath opening to the sink in front with the shower to the left and toilet bowl to the right. Being an Architect by profession, I think this layout would be great for a bigger bathroom which two can use at the same time, but not for this small one. The door location directly flanks the center of narrow walkspace of the adjacent room and is further narrowed by the bed. Since the bathroom door opens inside the bathroom it creates quite a jam if the person inside it wants to go out and the next person is already waiting in that narrow walkspace. It also prevents the hanging slim TV on that wall from being centered with respect to the bed. Maybe when it is time to renovate, it could be better if you switched the sink and the toilet bowl locations and moved the door accordingly. This would make the bathroom door go to the end near the minibar cabinet. It would then create unobstructed flow in that narrow walkspace, allow the TV to be centered to the bed and allow optimal use of the Bathroom for one person. (just my two cents worth) :) Lastly, the bathroom floors were finished with, if i'm not mistaken, elastomeric painted waterproofing over the bare concrete slab that adds to the modern industrial feel. However, I think it would be better if it were just tiled. :)

Overall courtesy and efficiency was excellent. I believe this is the strongest area of the hotel. I just had a minor problem with my reservation as they filed it using my middle instead of my family name; but no big deal. Everyone from front desk to maintenance always greeted you with a smile, and are always willing and eager to be of help.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so very much. I loved your review. It is so detailed and certainly, I will bring some of your ideas to our Design Team. The good news is that 3/4 of our bathroom floors have already been tiled and look great. We will continue with this project to complete all the floors in January.

I am happy that you found our staff to be efficient and courteous. This can truly make or break a hotel stay.

Hope to see you again and wish you a Happy and Healthy 2014!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I had an issue with the noisy housekeeping & maintenance. They had no volume control when they were in the hallways or in the process of cleaning an empty room. They would shout at eachother and argue in Mandarin. They did this at times when I would still be sleeping.And they were very curteous and friendly when I we came in contact, but for some reason were oblivious to the disturbance they were causing while doors were shut. They'd become quiet as mice the moment they see a guest but the coast seems clear they go at it again. That was my only complaint and when I spoke to the great people at the reception they handled it. In general, and aside from this isolated incident, the service at this hotel was awesome throughout!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Thank you so much for your review! I am sorry about the disturbance but it is hard to track down the culprits one year later! So many things change in a year - hotels undergo renovations, staff changes etc. that I always feel it is important to review a property right after one's stayed. Do I sound like a school teacher? Sorry if I do!

I am happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and would venture to say that the situation you mention has since been remedied.

Come back soon!

Regards,

Pleasant Hill, Ca.
Reviewed 11 December 2013

A friend and I stayed at Morgans Hotel for five nights recently and were very pleased. Every aspect exceeded our expectations. Location, service, and decor were more than worth the cost. The staff was consistently pleasant and helpful and the breakfast, while simple, was ample, tasty and well presented. I look forward to staying at Morgans on my next visit to New York.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank nancyL
And we look forward to having you return!

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy 2014!

Regards,

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel to stay. Very convenient for shopping and visiting Manhattan.
You can easily walk anywhere from here. Nice room , tiny bathroom , clean and peaceful. Pity The airconditioning is noisy. Good continental breakfast with fresh food! A nice start for The day.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nowhere like New York City during this festive season! Everyone must experience it at least once in their lifetimes!

So happy to hear you enjoyed it and hope to see you again.

alexandria, virginia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed at Morgans for a few days this week and was generally very pleased. Loved the location, which is easy walking distance to many sights and has bus stops immediately outside the front door. The staff were great, especially the doormen, and the included breakfast was excellent. The room was as small as expected, but comfortable, other than some issues with the heating system which led to us having to have maintenance come at 10pm to turn off the blasting heat and open the windows. The only real drawback was the bathroom. It's tiny, which was not a surprise, but it was in very serious need of an update. It had a weird smell all the time, and the shower floor was cracked and peeling. I'm sure it was clean, but it was still unsettling.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Sorry about the heating system. Sometimes we have nights that are warmer even during winter and it is good to simply turn it off.

As far as our bathroom floors are concerned, we only have a few more to go. We are putting down a lovely tile floor that makes a world of difference.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My partner and I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights late November 2013. When we arrived we were greeted by a suited front of house member of staff who carried our bags in for us. When we checked in unfortunately Virgin Holidays hadn't confirmed our booking with the hotel so our details couldn't be found on the booking system. However, Robert on reception was really helpful and checked us in to a bigger room for the inconvenience and assured us he would sort this before we left. As promised it was sorted with Virgin and no extra charges were incurred for our room upgrade. The hotel is really comfortable, it has everything you need. Location is perfect, 10 minute walk away from Times Square and Fifth Avenue where you will find lots of shops and the famous Rockefeller Centre. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New York. We would definitely come again! Thank you to all at Morgans for a lovely stay in NYC!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review! I realize how difficult it is to get off a long flight and not have a reservation. I am so happy we were able to sort that out.

I agree with you that we have a prime location in this great city of ours. Hope you will return to try our new Lounge which will open in early 2014!