“you could miss this hotel”

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #199 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“you could miss this hotel”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

our second time at ste morgans and still one of the best boutique hotels we have stayed in.. but whilst our first visit was very impressive with the veiw of the empire state building whilst having b'reakfast this time wasn't to be:( also thought the restaurant would be opened by now don't let this reveiw put you off I would still return.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you very much for your review. Yes, we have moved our breakfast back down to the restaurant. The previous location was temporary while we renovated. We have experienced a delay in opening the restaurant but it is coming soon!

I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

DR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I stayed in a one bedroom suite for 10 days and loved it! Location couldn't of been better, staff were extremely friendly and the rooms were wonderful (quiet and clean). Breakfast was great - once the staff found out that I couldn't eat any gluten, they had many options for me out the back, and even went and bought bagels for me! This was rare for New York catering for special eating requirements, but Morgans looked after me very well. Will definitely stay here again if we visit NYC.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so happy that we were able to accommodate your special requests. These days, there are a number of shops selling gluten free items; years ago, this was not the case.

I am very happy to hear that you would return and look forward to welcoming you back!

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews for the last leg of our honeymoon. We arrived late in the evening and i was somewhat disappointed by the greeting we received on arrival. The hotel is discreet and a doorman helped us in with our luggage but the reception welcome was a let down, no warmth, no smiling, and not what i expected.

We were shown to our room at the back of the hotel which didn't have a view as requested. The room was small with very little lighting, but it was cosy in the fact that it felt like i was staying in the guest bedroom in someones apartment. I liked that about it. We slept very well on our first night and enjoyed a fantastic breakfast the next day. The breakfast room was totally unexpected. Art deco, jazz music, lovely seating and great space. It was a great place to enjoy a breakfast which included; cereals, breads (three different types), croissants, donuts, bagels, sweet pastries, juices, tea and coffee and fresh fruit.

I was still put out that we hadn't received the stellar service that i had read about from other reviewers. That changed on our second evening when we met William at reception. Having explained of our greeting (or lackthereof) and the fact that we were on honeymoon, he kindly sent us a bottle of wine, some sparkling water and box of Leonidas chocolates, along with a handwritten note offering his Congratulations and reassuring us that if we needed anything, not to hesistate to contact him. If i had received this on arrival i am sure that this would have been a four star review.

The rest of our stay was fine. The room is comfortable, with very little lighting, but you can get by just fine. Everything was clean, the heating system was great, the bathrooms are small, the walls are thin so if you are a light sleeper you may be disturbed.

All in all we enjoyed our stay. I realise New York is an expensive place to stay and it was Thanksgiving weekend but i just expected a little more for the price that we paid. I would recommend it because of its fantastic location (10 minutes to Grand Central and 5-7 mins to 34st shopping), and excellent breakfast that sets you up for the day.

Well done to William for his excellent customer care too.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelbugjen
Actually, your expectations were not at all too high. It goes without saying that a warm greeting upon your arrival is the least we can do and I am certainly distressed that this did not occur. If you are able to contact me and let me know who you are and the date of your arrival, I will be able to address the specific individual who let both of us down.

As far as Honeymooners are concerned, I will repeat what I have already written to another guest -

I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Gosford, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely Devine. I lived staying here not only because it was clean, well looked after, hospitable and funky but the location is awesome. I had an enjoyable unforgettable experience and no doubt you'll have a great no fuss and classy holiday in New York if you stay here. I cannot wait to come back to this hotel next time I am in New York. If you're thinking about it, just do it. Wow factor plus.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
What a 'wow' way to start off the New Year!!! Thank you so much for your vote of confidence! We too look forward to seeing you again.

Bath
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My new husband and I stayed here 12th December 2013 for 3 nights. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was great and the hotel was in a great location. The rooms were of adequate size, the bed was very comfortable and the bathrooms were sufficient also.

Before we arrived in New York we made the hotel aware that it would be our honeymoon via email, and Facebook. My mother had also emailed the hotel via the website whilst we were staying to let them know that this was a special stay.
We were excited and looking forward to our stay, especially since reading reviews on trip advisor of previous honeymooners staying here that a bottle of complimentary champagne, a room with a view or even a room upgrade was offered.
So, when we checked in and no acknowledgement that it was our honeymoon was made was a little disappointing. "Maybe they've just not realised yet" we thought.
We were given a standard room but with a view of the adjacent wall, nothing special.
Throughout our stay nothing was mentioned about us being on honeymoon-not even a card through the door to acknowledge this. It's a shame really, as had this been the case we would have definitely returned for our anniversary, but as we are a little disappointed to say the least and we didn't feel special we will not be returning in future.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Jem_holi
Thank you for your review. I am so sorry we did not acknowledge you. To be very frank we have recently had so many guests celebrating for so many different reasons that I personally have not been able to keep up! That is why I have decided to create a special Honeymoon Package which will be featured on our Website. That is the only way I think that we can guarantee a larger room and the type of amenties that Honeymooners expect. I do hope that future Honeymooners will consider booking this Package. I am sorry it was not put together in time for your stay!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Morgans - it epitomizes everything you look for in a hotel.
1. Location - midtown not too far from anything. Walking distance to Empire State, subway, Times Square and Grand Central station.
2. Room - we had the Balcony Suite room 1703. Of course you pay a little extra but when you are staying 7 nights you want more than just a hotel room. The suite had a living room with balcony (with direct view to ESB), a sunroom/dining room, bedroom ( with another balcony), bathroom and wet bar. The walls were thick and we slept peacefully every night.
3. Service - nothing more to say other than exceptional! Any questions or requests promptly attended to.
4. Breakfast - other comments have mentioned how disappointed they were but take it from me you will not find a finer spread of continental assortments anywhere in NY. If you want a hot breakfast Moonstruck directly across the road can well cater for you.
The free WiFi worked well once it had been reset from a false fire alarm on our first night.
Book now and spend that little extra on the suite.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Actually, what more can I say? Thank you so much for your kind review.

Honestly, I cannot understand why people complain about our Continental Breakfast. I think they expect what they find in their own environment but that is not the way it works. In the US, Continental Breakfast consists mainly of croissants, bagels etc. We also include fresh fruit and Greek yogurt as well as cereals.

When I traveled through Asia, I basically ate the way people in those countries eat. I love a nice Japanese breakfast! Anyway, the point is that this is a complimentary breakfast and we will not be adding eggs, cheese or ham! Sorry, I am a straight forward New Yorker!

Anyway, back to your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and glad that you paid a bit extra for a Suite. I too feel it makes a difference and I try to save up a bit more when traveling so that my husband and I have the extra space we need. It is so worth it!

Hope to see you again and I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here over Christmas for a week in a beautiful loft room which was so big we called it our 'apartment'. After walking miles and miles each day around the city, all aches and pains were forgotten after a nights sleep in the super comfy beds. Beautiful soft sheets and ten out of ten for sleep quality. If only we could bring the bed home!

I loved the decor of the entire hotel, everything was in keeping with the same theme and colour palette and it all flowed beautifully. The breakfast space on the ground floor is in planning to be an evening lounge too and it will be a gorgeous space to enjoy a cocktail or two when this is implemented. I loved the overall design and the huge golden sunburst lights. Lovely attention to detail.

I thought the breakfast was great and the quality of pastries was excellent. The more I looked, the more variety and choice I found from little cinnamon bagels to almond croissants etc etc. It might be easy to dismiss the breakfast as limited but actually there is a lovely selection. The fruit salad was perfect. A mix of melon, grapes, pineapple and watermelon. No boring bits of apple! We ate breakfast out once, just to try the obligatory US pancakes. We much preferred the hotel option.

I would without question stay at Morgans again and despite only hitting UK soil again yesterday, my other half is already looking at the Morgans website again in preparation for a second trip.

All the staff were great, the guys on the door and front desk (esp Johnny) were always helpful, friendly and accommodating. The breakfast staff were lovely and when I had a minor issue with my room, there was an engineer up within five minutes and the problem solved within ten. Brilliant service all round, and everyone was very down to earth and 'normal', so I didn't feel daft asking basic questions.

This was my first trip to New York and we could not have picked a better hotel. Thank you so much for a wonderful stay. It made for an unforgettable Christmas.

Ps I must mention Piccolo cafe just across the street, delicious...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JJwoking
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. It is difficult not to fault anything so it makes me truly happy that you had a flawless stay and look forward to welcoming you back!