“To the General Manager that commented on the roach...”

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #188 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Bethesda, Maryland
“To the General Manager that commented on the roach...”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

It's really a shame that as a general manager instead of apologizing up and down for such a cruddy and gross incident you feel more compelled to site language of dinosaurs and nonsense. My wife was kind enough not to post a photo of the gross critter. Lucky for it was not crawling on our head, but close enough to it. Our incredible photo of the roach will make its way over to you, your company and your management along with a copy of your response to us shortly. Being a manager is one of those things where you just chalk it up to the client being right. I'm not trying to be right here, just saying your great hotels has gross critters...the size an adult human's palm.

3 Thank Mohsen M
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Well you may be right - I may have gotten a bit cocky in my response to you and I am sorry for that. I will say however that our hotel is clean and does not have any type of insect related issue. You would have read a lot more reviews of this nature if that was the case. I am sorry if I offended you with my response.

DR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just returned from our first visit to New York,Morgans hotel was very good, quick check in John the night porter was very helpful. We booked a 1 bedroom suite and was given a suite with a lounge, small kitchen and a large bedroom but the best thing and a complete shock was the 2 balconies, it had fabulous views of the Empire State Building. Continental breakfast was a great time saver (fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals, toast and various cakes and croissants) We had a great time and we would highly recommend Morgans hotel ,it's away from all the hustle of time square but within walking distance of all the main attractions.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and am grateful that you mention the variety we offer for breakfast.

This is truly a 'fab' review and hope you will come back and stay with us in the future!

John is a great addition to our staff!

Texas
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a nice surprise when we entered the hotel and the room. Pleasantly sized rooms, decently clean, and in a great location. Not bad for a NYC Hotel with good pricing and free breakfast. I wasn't however surprised by my MASSIVE roach (the size of the palm of my hand) crawling by my head when I woke up in the morning. We had to get the cleaning crew to remove the bug ( I semi-killed it) and all we asked for them to do was clean the guts. Instead of cleaning the guts for us they gave us a $50 credit (kind of useless, as I suspect they would feel mortified and want their client to be happy). I didn't feel like causing a stink so I took the credit without complaining further. They had they, it's NYC what do you expect, mentality. Not sure I'd stay there again but if you get lucky and don't get surprised by a roach it could be an awesome hotel.

2 Thank royallyunique
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Well I read your review this morning and put off responding until afternoon! I am human after all and do not like reviews like this one. I cannot deny that you found a roach in your room. Thankfully, that is an extremely rare occurance as one can gather from the over 1,000 reviews of which none mention critters of any kind! So, I am very sorry this occured. Morgans is a very clean property with a strong extermination program which is why this is so rare.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay other than this incident.

Now, what I really think (sorry, but we New Yorkers tend to be pretty frank!). Whilst I believe that roaches the size of an adult person's palm (I am assuming you are not a toddler), did in fact exist in Prehistoric times, and in fact may exist in places like the Amazon, I have never seen one quite that large in this city. We are known for large things - like tall buildings and large sandwiches. Our roaches tend to be pretty average in size. When guests exaggerate about something in their reviews, I then have to think that there is something else that may be a bit off in the review. In this case, although it is possible that the roach was crawling on your head, I cannot be sure. Also, I did check in with our Housekeeping Dept (they had in fact logged this incident), and have found that not only was the critter removed but that the entire room was general cleaned as a result. I would expect nothing less of my team!

It is best to state the facts and not make the story bigger than what it is - one loses credibility when one does that!

Anyway, I hope you do not mind my response. I am being honest and straight forward and I would imagine you would expect nothing less!

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 1 May 2014

While I haven't been to New York in way too long, The Morgans was always my favorite whenever I had the chance to go! I love the location, the ambiance and the people here. It is a small hotel, which I much prefer, has a small breakfast nook and rooms that are efficient and nicely kept. It is in a quiet neighborhood and very private. It is very stylish and very efficient.

Room Tip: Any room is well done and your won't go wrong with this very private and quiet place.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank robfweir
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Well you must return soon to try our new Lounge - it is wonderful! We have 216 variations of the classic 'Old Fashioned' drink!

Thank you for your kind review. We keep trying to improve what we do. My goal is to run the 'quintessential New York Boutique Hotel' - we were the first in the city but we keep on refining! It is a never ending quest!

Hope to see you again soon!

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Morgans hotel is a nice clean well presented hotel,
The two problems we had whilst staying there was the room we had was out the back so the air conditioning system was running all night. This was very loud and as a consequence we had to wear earplugs in order to sleep. We mentioned this to the reception and they were slow and finding a solution. It took a couple of days before they could offer us another room, by which point we couldn't be bothered and decided to stay in the room with earplugs.
Expect the housekeeping to be rapping on your door at 9am, which for us was a little early as we were always in the middle of getting ready to leave, and had to turn them away.
Generally the staff were nice, the breakfast was good and the location great. So in that respect I would recommend staying there.
However, during our stay I had some things stolen from my bag!!
I had mentioned this to reception and they asked housekeeping if they had seen anything, to which the reply was no.
So there you go, that's the end of it as far as they were involved.
For me this was a big problem. We have since had the police involved and are waiting to see what happens next.
THIS IS A SHAME AS THE HOTEL IS NICE, BUT IF YOU ARE HAPPY TO TAKE A CHANCE WITH YOUR THINGS THEN STAY HERE. IF NOT THEN I WOULD LOOK ELSEWHERE.

Room Tip: Not at the back of the hotel where the air conditioning systems are loud and monotonous
3 Thank Samuel T
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
I would say thank you for your review but in this case I do think your title is very unfortunate as well as misleading! This morning, I held a meeting with our Housekeeping and Front Office Managers. They recalled the incident which unfortunately, I do not remember. They stated that a guest mentioned that they were missing a shirt from a shopping bag. I just want to go on record saying that every single day our staff (most of whom have been here for over 20 years) deal with expensive jewelry, cash and other valuables that are left in rooms. We have not had an incident of theft for many, many years and I doubt anyone would risk losing their job over a shirt!

There is however an area where we could have done better and that would have been to communicate better with you. I am very sorry about that.

As far as the NY Police are concerned, I doubt this will go any further. As I stated, this hotel has an exemplary record and they will file a claim but not much more than that.

If you would like to deal with me directly on this matter, and I would be happy to do so, you know where to contact me.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Morgans isn't much upon entry, just a tiny lobby with an attentive desk clerk discreetly tucked away. Then you open the door of your room and it looks huge for a New York Hotel. But it isn't--clever, clever design makes the room feel much bigger than it really is. We really appreciated that, as it lacked the claustrophobic feeling common to many NYC hotels (at least in the sub-$400 range).

The location was perfect for breakfast in the beautiful Grand Central Station, a lecture at the NYC library (the one with the big lions in front), and just half a block from one of the best book/art museums in the world, the Morgan.

We got in a couple of hours late, so we took room service. The menu was small, but excellent. And the food was delicious. There was a complimentary breakfast that looked much better than average, but we just took coffee...the restaurant/bar that serves as a daytime lounge for guests was beautiful.

The toiletries were very nice (love the bay rum soap...now I want some for home) and the bathroom was small, but clever. Instead of the usual pathetic bathtub that only works for a six-year-old, they turned the entire bathroom into a wetroom with a shower that boasts a rain-shower head AND a directional detachable shower head. Really smart.

We came across it by accident (when I was looking for hours for the Morgan Library), but we plan on staying there next time we go to NYC. It was a perfect balance of luxury and budget.

1 Thank Karen O
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
I am so happy that you accidentally came upon us! How fun! Also, that you appreciate good design. Andree Putman (our Designer) was a master at using optimal space.

The Pierpont Morgan Library is a gem and all of our guests should visit - they have great exhibitions and a lovely place for lunch!

Yes, we have indeed opened our Lounge for drinks in the evening and our guests are loving it!

Till next time...

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned after spending 6 nights at Morgans.

We couldn't have asked for anything more in a hotel; the staff were very accommodating, the rooms were spacious (plenty of room for shopping bags!) and decorated to very high standard. The breakfast was served to a reasonable time (11am) so we were still able to enjoy our holidays and have a lie in :) the only fault I can think of is that the air conditioning didn't appear to be on in the breakfast area and as such we didn't get to spend as long relaxing with a gorgeous mug of coffee! However, maybe not a bad thing; as a result I didn't consume too many lovely sugary delights!

Would definitely recommend Morgans to friends and family and we will return in the future.

Thank you to the staff for: creating such a fabulous place, looking after us; we were able to enjoy our holiday to the full :)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review. You had a nice long stay and I am very happy that you were comfortable here and that you would recommend Morgans to your friends.

Full disclosure - we were performing maintenance on the AC in the Breakfast Room, getting it ready for those long days of summer (can't wait!) so we did turn it off a couple of mornings.

Next time, you can stick around longer and enjoy some more breakfast treats!

Kind regards,