“Unforgettable experience.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #181 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Unforgettable experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We came to New York for the first time. Staying at the Morgans just made it soo much better. The rooms are clean. The internet is fast, didn't go down while we stayed there. The entertainment options are plenty. The pricing was just right. I would have proffered a other breakfast but I guess that's how it is. You can't have everything. The staff is something you will never forget. The front desk is friendly and their hold on New York is unreal. You can ask them anything and you will get the correct info. The bell boys are very friendly. They will help you with anything. The house keeping staff is perfect. Makes you want to not use the room. They keep it soo clean. I just felt bad to dirty it. Didn't get an opportunity to order in the room so can't say much about the food but my overall experice has been fantastic. I will visit New York only if I get a room at 'the Morgan hotel.' The experience has been priceless. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Sidaarth D
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
You gave me goose bumps! Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so happy that we gave you an 'unforgettable experience' - for the right reasons, none-the-less! It was especially gratifying to hear that the staff made you feel welcome!

Hope to see you again.

DR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We spent 6 nights on our first visit to NYC, so we wanted to fit in as much sightseeing, shopping, shows, etc. as possible. From the very first moment we arrived, we took advantage of the wonderful location of Morgans. Flying from the UK we arrived about 9pm and had planned to simply settle in after an evening meal. But no - being so close to the Empire State Building, even after a long flight, it was an easy stroll to enjoy the stunning night views from the top before unpacking! (I very strongly recommend buying the fast pass ticket, which avoids all the many separate queueing spots on the way up AND on the way down)

Unfortunately, our one bed suite was not one of the higher ones with a view, being on the 8th floor. Maybe if it did have a view I may have given 5 stars? Despite its lower level, the noise from the street was minimal and did not disturb our sleep at all. There was a bit of a mechanical drone from outside, but nothing that affected our sleep. Which brings me to the first order of business for a hotel - good sleep quality.

The king bed was supremely comfortable, aided by the provision of excellent pillows, so it was just like sleeping in your own bed. Our 18 year old daughter found the couch bed made up in the other room quite comfortable too. The air con was efficient. We only needed to leave it on during the day or evening so that the rooms were cool enough when we went to bed, with no need to keep it on while sleeping. It wasn't that noisy but why have an extra noise if you don't need it?

The bathroom was quite small but was equipped with a good shower and all the essentials. The rest of the suite was a good size. I have no experience of other New York hotels, but I am told this roominess is not typical at this price point.

They clearly have good cleaning staff here, because the whole place is spotless. That result doesn't happen by accident, so well done to all the staff involved!

Breakfast options are probably as near to ideal as you could wish for. To have a free / included continental breakfast at the hotel is convenient and very comfortable in their breakfast lounge. If you wish for something more you are free to explore a number of options nearby. For example, Moonstruck (a diner across the road from the hotel) offers great pancakes, waffles, omelettes and all the usual cooked options, as well as very nice smoothies.

Of course, the other big factor that makes a hotel stay more enjoyable is the attitude of the staff. On that front I am very pleased indeed to be able to report a unanimously positive experience. Nothing seemed too much trouble and they were full of useful tips to help us make the most of our holiday. Their friendliness seemed very genuine, in a nicely relaxed and natural way, and this all helped to make our first trip to NYC a fabulous one. Thank you!

A top tip for all UK / European visitors who like shopping - a full day trip to Jersey Gardens Outlet shopping is a MUST. You will be truly astounded at many of the prices in the top designer stores. Just make sure you pack light on the way here, so you can fill your cases for the way home. A bus from Port Authority bus station is all you need.

Room Tip: Try as hard as possible to get a high enough room to have a view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
4 Thank CaptainPacific
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Your review read like a wonderful short story and included so much information - thank you! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and yes, I too recommend the Empire State Building on a clear night. It is so beautiful up there looking over the city, the rivers and the bridges. Makes me feel lucky to live here just thinking about it!

I do hope you will return again. The Freedom Tower should be opening soon and that too will have a spectacular view.

The wonderful thing about New York is that you can visit the city over and over because there is so much to do!

Kind regards,

Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

This place is AWESOME

1. In walking distance of many interesting sites (Empire state, Chrysler, UN, Flatiron)
2. Heavy shoppers find all you can eat around the corner: 5th Ave, Heralds Square)
3. Best restaurant in USA (Eleven Madison) just 15min walk away across Madison Park, where you will find the best USA burgers too if fast food is more your thing..
4. Best top floor suite in NY (room 1703) with two (!) balconies and fantastic view a.o. on Empire State

But above all: Impeccable Service. These people really make you feel at home. Especially Bryan is a king!

Simply stated: get there as soon as you can! You won't regret a minute..

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank kuisch
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
I love the way you listed the reasons you enjoyed your stay at Morgans! Thank you so much. Yes, Balcony Suite 1703 is lovely. It is more expensive than our regular Suites but I think it is worth every penny! You feel as though you are in your NY apartment with incredible views. Also, thank you for mentioning the location, shopping, restaurants and most of all, our staff!

Hope to see you soon!

Silver Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

spent three days at Morgans on Madison Avenue, 7/18 -7/21/14. Excellent Hotel. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful with a smile on their face all the time. the room I stayed was so clean I thought it was a brand new room. glass shower doors is a plus. they provide a continental breakfast each morning. if you are looking for a hotel to stay while in NYC, don't think twice, stay at Morgans on Madison Ave.

Room Tip: I think all rooms at this hotel would be nice
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank jeff o
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review which I read on a Monday morning. Before reading it, I wanted another double espresso to start my day but your review has given me a burst of energy and I can now plough through the day without the extra caffeine! Thank you!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights. My girlfriend and I absolutely enjoyed our stay! Close to everything but quiet at night when trying to get some sleep. Best of both worlds! Perfect views of the Empire State building and very clean rooms! When you check in, ask for Johnny. If you've never been to this city he'll help you out with food recommendations, shopping, etc. He was more like a friend to us rather than an employee of the hotel. I will be recommending this hotel to all of my friends and family. Thanks again Morgans!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Stefan J
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
The best reviews for me - the ones that give me a sense of accomplishment are the ones that mention our staff. The fact that a staff member bonds with a guest is invaluable - I know the feeling of 'making a friend in a big city'. There is a feeling of recognition, warmth and safety when you feel you have someone looking out for you. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return soon!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My stay at Morgans Hotel was a wonderful experience. The front desk extraordinaire, (James) saved my trip by taking the time solve a small problem that became huge. I needed a room to accommodate my son. The room that I reserved was too small a (Supreme Queen Deluxe). I immediately called (Booking.com), they made it extremely hard for me to fix the situation. They informed me that they had to email the Hotel and they would email me with the answer. I was becoming anxious after 2 days of back and forth with (Booking.com). My date of arrival was approaching and I was being told that there were no more rooms available. Booking explained, "the only alternative would be for me to get an extra sheet for my son to sleep on." I was so upset I didn't want my child sleeping on a window couch for 2 days. It was obviously too late for me to cancel my reservations without a penalty. I called the hotel and the concierge was directing me back to (booking.com) and I never could speak to the same person. By this point, I was so aggravated by this whole process. Thank God the concierge at Morgans finally forwarded the call to the main desk. That's when I met my angel James. He fixed the whole situation in 2 minutes without a charge or a headache. He put us in the loft for 2 days it was the most amazing experience! We will never forget his kindness for taking the time to listen then react. This is what customer service is all about!!!

Room Tip: Deluxe doesn't always mean huge! Or that you will have 2 beds!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheCru S
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review. Yes, it is very important to understand the bedding in rooms here in NY. We have different terminology for bedding. I am happy however that you were able to enjoy your stay with your son and hope you will return to visit us again!

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 8 nights (was visiting NYC for business) with my family accompanying me. The location is good (Madison Ave near 38th St) both in terms of business and tourist attractions. The breakfast is served free though there is not much variety in there (actually they don't have a kitchen of their own). Wi-fi is also free. The decor is not that great tbh. But staff is very friendly and helpful.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rahul J
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review! I am not sure what 'tbh' means but I guess I will ask a younger member of staff - they are better at abbreviations!

Actually, we have compared our complimentary breakfast offerings to other hotels in the area (very few of which offer a free breakfast). Amongst those that do, ours offers by far the most variety. The problem we encounter is with our beloved European travelers - you folks are spoiled by amazing variety at breakfast and so many hotels over there offer a comp breakfast. Two different Continents however and different ways of doing things!

I do think Decor is subjective. Personally, I do not enjoy traditional decor, but I would not presume that everyone is the same.

Hope to see you again!