“Excellent base to explore the City”

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #188 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ceredigion, United Kingdom
“Excellent base to explore the City”
Reviewed 26 November 2010

Very hard to fault this Hotel. If you want a modern boutique hotel with friendly and knowledgeable staff in an excellent location this is the hotel for you. Standard rooms are not huge in size but very comfortable. Breakfast was a added bonus.

The staff were a credit to the hotel.Who ever does the selection and training of the staff certainly knows the hotel trade.

A very enjoyable five night stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2010
Wow! What a compliment!

Thank you for your kind words. We do take time to select the members of our team. It is so important. Also, a great deal of training takes place at Morgans.

For me personally, service is why I return to certain places and not to others. There is a lot of competition out there these days and we must always be cognizant that you and other guests have selected to stay with us.

Thanksgiving has just passed and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and everyone out there for your patronage.

DR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2010

My wife and I have just come back from a 5 day break at Morgans and had an amazing time. The hotel feels very homely like a new york apartment block. I had read previous reviews about the hotel which was why we chose to stay there. The hotel certainly lived up to all expectations. Staff were all extremely helpful and polite and positively enthusiastic which you do not get staying in hotels in the UK. Room was amazing, double shower with a rainfall head the size of a dinner plate that made you not want to get out. Bed an absolute dream to sleep in and room kept spotlessly clean. We had a superior room on the 10th floor facing the street and could see the Empire State building from our room. Continental breakfast was included which was plentiful to start the day and free tea and coffee in the Lounge on the 4th Floor was very welcoming each day. Being on Madison Avenue the hotel is ideally placed for sightseeing and shopping. We walked everywhere (apart from going down to ground zero by taxi). Its 10 minutes to Empire State building another 5 minutes to Macys, 10 minutes to Times Square and Broadway and the same to Grand Central. 5th Avenue is less than 5 minutes away being the next street. The furthest we walked was up to Central Park which again only took 25 minutes. Eating out is easy and reasonably price. Choice of restaurants is mind blowing but if you like Italian food try Tony's De Napoli on West 46th Street near Times Square - best Italian meal I have had and great atmosphere.We will certainly return to New York as its an amazing place and would almost certainly stay at Morgans again.

1 Thank Rio35
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2010
Thank you so very much for your 'Awesome' review!

You certainly hit every point! Certainly, cleanliness is at the top of our list but we are so happy you mentioned our location, the comfortable bed, the breakfast etc.

We seem to be having a very mild fall and it is great for visitors who can walk around and enjoy all the sights!

We would love to see you again and hope that your feet are back to normal after all that walking!

Boston, MA
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I take weekend trips to NYC several times a year. Morgans is on the pricey side for me, but found a great promo rate online and decided to give them a try. Arrived at noon and room wasn't ready, but Todd was very gracious, took my bags, directed me to their "living room" lounge, and made some entertainment suggestions. He also recommended the Morgan Library (which was excellent). Returning later, I found the room was more spacious than expected, elegantly furnished and spotless. Linens and towels were amazingly soft, and bed was ridiculously comfortable. Ipod dock was another bonus. As other reviewers have mentioned, bathroom is small and figuring out how to use the shower is a challenge, but once you sort it out, the raincan is a delight. Continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant was plentiful and tasty.

The friendly and chatty Morgans staff goes out of its way to provide a welcoming, congenial atmosphere for guests. However, I did experience one very odd, off-putting moment when a staff member drew attention to my shopping bags from a discount store and then spent a good 10 min trying to convince me that the meatpacking district was "the place to be." It seemed pushy and a bit unprofessional. The incident left me feeling rather uncomfortable, but I did my best not to let it overshadow an otherwise great stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2010
Thank you so much for your kind review.

I am so happy you enjoyed the linens, shower head and our breakfast.

As far as the comments made by one of our staff members, I will certainly address this. I am always shopping at discount stores and if it isn't on sale, I do not buy it! This is not what Morgans is about and I apologize for this awkward interaction. I feel uncomfortable just reading about it!

Midtown has some fabulous shopping, you do not have to go downtown unless you want to!

Hope to meet you next time so that we can discuss some great New York bargains!

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 16 November 2010

It is a pity that the Morgans Hotel, which is a nice hotel, lacks attention to European travellers. Jet-lagged Europeans waking up (very) early in the hotel will have to wait several hours to get a cup of tea/coffee as room service and the living room in the hotel are available from 7 AM (1 PM European time). Having waited till 7 AM, it is also a pity that it is often needed to call the reception to open the living room and to wait for another half an hour to get some hot water ...... It is such a small thing that actually matters a lot!!

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Good day and many thanks for your review!

Certainly, we do not differentiate between our guests. You are all loved by us and we want to do right by you, no matter where you come from!

I am sorry that you had to wait for coffee. The Living Room normally has coffee by 6:00 a.m. but that morning we had it locked due to some intensive work in there that needed to be done.

I know what it feels like to be jet lagged and to have to wait for that first sip of caffeine - torture!

We promise to do better next time!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I only stayed at Morgans for one night, but based on that one night I would definitely return. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. Also, the one meal I ordered from room service was excellent, and I think they put a lot of care into their food. Other things I liked about the hotel were the friendly desk clerks, the nice room service attendant and the design of the room. I didn't get a room with a view, but because the room itself was so comfortable it really wasn't an issue. Unfortunately, my room did not have a bath. At first, I was a little put off by that since I enjoy taking long baths. However, the shower was incredible. As far as boutique hotels go, this one was very nice -- stylish, yet homey. I also feel like it might be a good bet for solo travelers concerned for safety. The security seemed better than it might be at larger hotels where anyone can just slip through the lobby. The lobby of Morgans is very small and the desk clerks can see exactly who is getting on the elevator. Finally, Morgans location is convenient to business and pleasure in Mid-Town.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Many thanks for your kind review.

I am sorry that you only stayed for one night and hope you will be able to enjoy Morgans and New York for a longer period next time.

We have rooms which have both a bathtub and a shower so next time you visit, just let us know in advance and we will organize this for you.

As far as safety is concerned, it is at the top of our list. The Lobby is smaller than many, so it is easier to track comings and goings. In addition to this, we have many strategically placed cameras which are monitored.

We want our guests to feel both comfortable and safe here!

Kind regards,

Long Island, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Had a last minute "Date Night" in NYC this weekend which included Dave Matthews Band at the Garden and a romantic night at Morgans! Booked at room that day onlineand got a great rate which included parking and continental breakfast . We had stayed here once before a number of years ago and so I was familiar with the eclectic style of this classy boutique hotel. WIthin walking distance of midtown yet away from the craziness of town, you feel like you are staying in a neighborhood place. Much to my surprise, my room was a Loft Suite on the 18th floor! A large, beautiful room with amazing amenities. The staff were all very helpful, and gave us some tips about the happenings in the area. The room was super clean, and the bed super comfy! Great rainshower in a chic black and white tiled bathroom. Had drinks before going out at the amazing Asia de Cuba, and a great continental breakfast the next day. All in all a great time and will look forward to coming back soon. I have found my new great spot in Midtown!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2010
I love 'date nights'! It is wonderful to get away in your own city sometimes. We are so busy dashing about, we hardly have time to enjoy the company of our loved ones.

Thank you for writing this wonderful review of Morgans. I hope you will return for another date night soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2010

My girlfriend and I arrived on a Friday evening and were pushed for time to get to a Knicks game,so we were delighted that within 5 minutes of arriving at the Morgans we were in our room (upgraded to superior) after the swiftest of check ins. We had heard nothing but good things on the Morgans and we too were not disappointed, from the cleaners to the staff in the Asia de Cuba restaurant to the reception desk to the doorman, we have never experienced such courteous and helpful hotel staff.
Great overall stay,we will be back in the spring!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2010
How nice - everything you want in a hotel!

Thank you so much. Although I do not have children and have never felt the pride a parent feels, I think I felt it today when I read your comments.

In this day and age of everything moving so fast, courtesy and graciousness are commodities. I am delighted that you felt we met your expectations.

Hope to meet you next time!