“Great little hotel that exceeds expectations”
Review of Marrakech Hotel

Marrakech Hotel
Ranked #392 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 12 August 2014

WE stayed at the Marrakech on Broadway for a short (3 night) stay from England - our first visit to New York. Given the very modest budget for this hotel, we though it was fantastic. The rooms are small, obviously in this price range, but they are spotless, everything works, and they are cleaned every day with fresh towels etc. All you would expect at a much higher priced hotel. The shower is good, and the bed V. Comfortable. The room does not have drink making facilities (common in North America), but the hotel is right next door to a Starbucks - so no problems there!

The best thing about the hotel are the lovely staff - all the ones we met were fairly young, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and very helpful - really nothing is too much trouble.

A few lessons learnt:
1) when booking, ask the hotel about the best arrangements to get from you airport to the hotel - the have good local contacts. We just jumped in a cab at the airport, and got a bit ripped off, I fear.
2) Two places to try - "Regional", just a few blocks down Broadway does simple Italian fare, but the quality is very high indeed. I had one of the best pasta dishes I have ever eaten. And walk up to 120 St W to Toms Restaurant - very inconspicuous, but great food, and the BEST milkshake you will ever try!!

We plan to come back to NY, and wopuld definitely stay at the Marrakech again. A big Thanbk you to all their team.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick B
There are newer reviews for Marrakech Hotel

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed there with a friend in May of 2014. We were in NY for a fun weekend and this place was recommended to us. The only plus about this place is it's proximity to the train station. We arrived to discover that there was no elevator, which I felt should have been mentioned when we were booking. The room was tiny, just enough for 2 beds and wall TV. The bathroom wasn't dirty, but could use come updating/repair (cracked sink). As we were getting ready for a night out, I discovered that there was no hot water in the shower. After telling the front desk, we were assured it would be fixed that evening, but came back and found it hadn't been touched. Since we were staying only one night, there was no point in asking again. We took our cold showers the next morning and were off to checkout. Had the room been cheaper, I'm sure the space and cold water wouldn't have been so much of an issue. I don't think I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lindsay J
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed at the Marrakech Hotel from June 19 - 22 with my boyfriend, brother and his wife. I had initially booked one room with 2 beds. When we arrived they advised that the room with the 2 beds was not available but we would get 2 separate rooms at the same price. This was excellent news for us which mean't we could have more privacy. The room was comfortable,clean, bathroom was clean, a little small but to be expected in NY. The location of the hotel was marvelous, the subway entrance is literally a few feet away. There are loads of restaurants within walking distance. This was our first time in NY and we had never used the Subway here. Every morning I would ask the staff for directions on which subway to take to get to our destinations. From the moment we arrived, all of the staff were very welcoming and friendly. They assisted us with our luggage, provided excellent suggestions on where to eat and how to get around. The free wifi came in very handy for us also. This little hotel is excellent value for money. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: We were on the same level as reception. no complaints.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ramona R
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here in June 2014. We are two friends sharing, and we paid about £10 a night extra for an upgrade. Having read other reviews, this was clearly worth it, as our room was fairly large and we had a very comfortable double bed each. The ensuite was minuscule, but was clean and new. We also had a cold water issue, that was rectified within 24 hours of arrival.
We didn't spend much time in the room as we were out most of the time. The time we did spend in the room was pleasant. I would stay here again, but it is a budget hotel and you get what you pay for. We chose to scrimp on the hotel so we had more money for activities!
Wifi is free but very intermittent! Was good enough to send a quick email home though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NaomiBedford
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have been there a year ago, and I must say I was very deceived for what I paid. I went with my 2 kids to discover NY, and the people at the reception were VERY rude, the rudest personnel I have seen in my entire life. They are not kind and unhelpful. We reserved for a week in the best room of the hotel (with a view on the road) and paid online for everything. When we arrived they gave us the smallest room of the hotel, which had just enough space for a double bed and a very ugly and dirty toilet which started leaking (of course the maintenance didn't fix the problem) , because they said they didn't ''receive my reservation'' or whatsoever (my son had to sleep on the floor because there were no extra beds nor enough space for one), then the next night they gave us (finally) the room we paid for. We spent 5 days there then went to the airport and missed our flight. Hopefully, we reserved the hotel for a week, so we had 2 extra nights in the room, but when we arrived, they told us we couldn't take back the room. I got angry, and the people at the reception started being rude mumbling things behind my back. At the end we got a tiny room where we stayed for 2 extra nights. Apart from that: no breakfast or lunch or dinner (good thing there was a Starbucks just next to the hotel), very poor internet, no space, narrow corridors, small reception, very expensive for what we got. The only good thing is that it is close to the metro station and close to the city center. But believe me, there are other practical hotels next to the city center and WAY better than this one.

Room Tip: If you really want to take this hotel, take the room with a view on Broadway, the best room of the h...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank SaraTraveler123
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at this little gem of a hotel in October last year. The friendly and welcoming staff carried our bags up the stairs to a lovely jewel toned reception with a moroccan theme carried through to the trendy little bar. Our room was small, as you'd expect from a converted NYC tenement building, but the bathroom (whilst a little tired) was spotlessly clean. Again - all nicely decorated, although it was a shame that the ancient TV didn't work very well. There were no tea/coffee facilities in the room but with a Starbucks next door that really wasn't much of a problem. The Hotel is ideally situated right next to a subway that can whisk you downtown in 10 mins, or right down to Battery Park in just over 20! The neighbourhood around the hotel is great - we discovered two great diners for breakfast, and the shop over the road was handy for late night drinks and snacks. Overall - great value for money and a much more personal, authentic experience than the more expensive chain hotels downtown. Would love to come back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally K
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Small rooms, very close to Metro, friendly staff, good free wifi. No elevator but the staff are always keen to help with luggage. An enjoyable stay. Reception staff very helpful and keen to assist in planning transport and visits to attractions

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family