“Average Holiday inn Express, a little older”

Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square
Ranked #289 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Average Holiday inn Express, a little older”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

older hotel, small, but not closet type rooms, some room updates....

Not the nicest area in town, but not far from time square and 9th street around the corner has a good selection of food.

Room Tip: High up!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kingston, NY
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Staff very nice and helpful. Friendly! Room was standard NYC small but very well appointed. Comfortable bed with new linens, good pillows and great mattress after a long day of walking. Everything seemed very well thought out. It was modern without overdoing it. Nice toiletries, good towels, etc. Colors of the room were inviting, warm and clean. I'm a health eater so I passed on the breakfast but it was a more than your standard bagels, fruit and cereal so for those who partook, i'm sure they enjoyed it. Free coffee all day. This was exactly what I was looking for and I'm glad to have found it. Per night was about $335 with all charges.

Note: the neighborhood is on the edge of Hell's Kitchen (Clinton) and while that area isn't as bad as it once was, there is still an element present. There are three hotels on the block so, there are more tourists than in the past but still, I wouldn't walk to/from the hotel with kids or if I were a woman alone. they do have a doorman to hail a cab.

Room Tip: I booked the cheapest room they had available, which was a handicap accessible room. When I checked...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank vokar
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Stayed here for the weekend for the comic con and the place was packed. The room was clean, beds comfortable with reliable wifi service. Service was excellent all throughout. They guided me VERY well on where to go and told me the best place to eat when they found out I was alone. Breakfast was basic but fulfilling. Everything suited my needs perfectly EXCEPT for the noise! It seemed to penetrate everywhere! Location great because it's near times square and near West 46th and 9th avenue where the restaurant row is. It was also a very close walk to the Javits Convention Center where the event I was attending was located.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank shelob
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2011

The Holiday Inn Times Square provided us with great and efficient service. Alex, who checked us in at the front desk was a delight and it was so nice to be greeted so well upon arrival. He also took care of a couple of requests we had quickly. Thank you to all of the staff at the hotel for making our stay enjoyable. We appreciate the excellent service that was provided!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Brisbane
Reviewed 12 October 2011

My partner and a group of friends stayed here in three different rooms in September 2011. Our room was a good size, considering we were only there to sleep and shower etc.

The breakfast is all processed food, but definitely filled us up for the day ahead. On the first morning we got there at 6.30 and there was no problem with finding a table. The other mornings we were there between 8.30 & 9.30 and we had to wait for a table. There were people milling around everywhere although as another person mentioned we could have always loaded up a plate and gone back to our room.

The rooms were cleaned daily and the housekeeping and other staff we experienced were polite and helpful.

On our third night the water in the room was barely warm and this was the same the next morning. We spoke to reception about it and they sent maintenance up to our room to check it out. When we checked with them when we got back from our day out, they said it had all been fixed.

There are only two elevators services 36 floors so around busy times be prepared for a bit of a wait and to get up close and personal with your fellow guests!

One thing you must do while in NYC is go to the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park! The food and the location are perfect. We had our best meal in NYC there!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 October 2011

LIsten, I travel a lot! I've stayed at $30 hotels, I've stayed at $500 a night hotels, this was the worst hotel I've stayed at for the price I paid ($230+).

Charlene, the receptionist was horribly rude. Twice my room card did not work and twice when I went down to correct this she gave me an attitude. I guarantee you she was not trained in the hospitality business. It appears to me many of their staff were picked off the street, with no experience in the hotel business. Twice the housekeeper bothered to take her tips I left her but forgot to leave me shampoos. When I called the front desk twice to get some shampoo, it took them an hour and 2 phone calls to get what they missed.

Terrible service. BUSINESS TRAVELERS: Stay away from this place,seriously worst place ever!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank a b
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The efforts of some of the staff were good - but they lack enough power to persuade me to return and thus why it received a "poor" instead of a "terrible"

The Staff:
"Hunter" the manager - was great (sadly we had to get to know him through complaints) - a true professional, and provided exactly what I expected from a hotel manager.

"The maintenance guys"(he had brades) - an honest, down to earth person - good service.

The breakfast - is good and better than what I expected and was happy about that

"The breakfast staff" was friendly and no complaints.

“The front desk staff” – the ‘very happy guy’ at the front desk was the saviour of the reception staff – the rest were less than impressive.

The cleaning staff is as rude as you can get - especially the ones that don’t speak English - they have very aggressive tones, the ones that can speak English are very argumentative.

The Location:
The location of the hotel was good - since this was my first trip to NYC it’s hard to be definite on this - the one thing that is awesome, is that its around the corner from a dollar pizza shop (@ the exit of the hotel, turn right and then right again at the lights and its on the next corner - go past the dry cleaning shop)

The Rooms:
Room 1:
Blood drops on the floor that had been dripped from the bed to the bathroom.

Room 1 and Room 2 - had 2 double beds - "ledge walking" is the preferred method of movement because the rooms are that small.

Room 2 bath sink hole was so clogged with hair and no-one had cleaned it and the poor maintenance guy had to clean it with pliers and plungers.

I can honestly say, the elevator is half the size of the bedroom.

Room Tip: I only stayed in the front side room, but as a rule the lights from the sign - lit up the side of th...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family