Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square
Ranked #292 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Let me start by saying... "what's all the fuss about staying in or near Times Square" ?

Cabs are cheap, New York Roads are so easy to navigate through and you can find the best hotels barely a $10 ride away.

The Good :
The hotel is located a few minutes away from Times Square and the staff are helpful and friendly, breakfast is on the house and internet is free.

The Bad:
The room is so damn tiny !!... if you're expecting to be sentenced to a cell in solitary confinement, a room at the Holiday Inn is all you need as practice.

The internet is so terribly slow, you'd probably slit your wrists in frustration. The management should really look at improving the speed to give guests an option to upgrade to something that will help you retain your sanity by the end of your stay

The lifts are slow. I knew all the guests on my floor. We chatted while waiting for the lift

The Ugly
The carpets are filthy. The management needs to wake up and have them changed to a colour that makes the tiny rooms come alive. Please guys... do yourselves a favour and get the carpets changed or replace them with tiled or parquet flooring

The emergency doors open outwards. Could hurt someone waiting for the now famously slow lifts

Better hotels can be found right outside or in the middle of Times Square. If you want to live like a star, find a hotel near Central Park instead

Probably the worst hotel of my US and Canada holiday.
The carpets are

Room Tip: Highers floors please
2  Thank Keith L
Frank C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Keith L,

Thank you for your recent feedback during your stay with the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. We appreciate and value your feedback. We are glad to know that our staff were helpful and friendly and that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast. Thank you for your suggestions, we are in the process of getting approval for new carpets along with new furniture. We hope to have with us in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed with my family for six days in may2014. I paid cash still they charged me on card(which was put on hold) . after a month on my complaining to them they reversed to a wrong card . I had to pay my bank charges and interest as my card was overseas. I contacted them several times to get my things done but rarely received any call back . I believe this hotel is good for people living in US and not travelers from overseas or maybe they don't care for foreigners.

Room Tip: higher the better
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank surinder555

Dear Surinder555,

Thank you booking accommodation needs with the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. I do lament to hear that you experienced billing issues. I am aware of the situation and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I am happy to know that our front office supervisors have already rectified this billing issue. We hope you can give us a second opportunity in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This hotel is without a doubt, the dirtiest I have ever been in. We took two of our grandchildren and the four of us in approx. 10X12 room with two standard beds. The kids socks were absolutely BLACK after 5 minutes in the room. Everything was filthy, filthy, and filthy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Guiseppe R

Dear Guiseppe R,

Thank you for your recent feedback of the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. I lament to hear that our room’s cleanliness did not meet your expectations. Please note that we do that our guest feedback very seriously. I will address this review with our housekeeping managers so they can ensure that our housekeeping attendants are cleaning the rooms thoroughly. We hope you can give us a second opportunity and stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family (10 of us) and I stayed at this hotel 6/29-7/2 to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday. Half of us came from Upstate New York, and the other half came from Northern Virginia for the celebration. When researching hotels for our stay, I needed to find a hotel that was close to Times Square AND had a free breakfast (looking for a breakfast place each morning was going to be hard considering we had 3 elderly people with us-plus the added expense). The main reason I chose the Holiday Inn Express was because they had a HOT continental breakfast! The breakfast each morning was wonderful! They had omelets (one day Western, another day cheese), bacon & sausage (bacon one day, sausage another day), bagels, cereal, oatmeal, Greek yogurt, hard-boiled eggs - need I go on??? What a wonderful way to start our morning each day! We were off and running with such a large breakfast!

The ladies that worked in the Breakfast Area (IVET, YSABEL, & THERESA) were SO very accommodating - they were always there replenishing the food, cleaning the tables, letting us use the microwave (we had a guest with us that has Celiac Disease and she brought her own oatmeal) each morning, telling us where everything was, etc. - so very sweet and helpful!

Each and every time we entered the hotel, the Front Desk always had smiles on their faces and answered our questions each and every time! We had a slight issue with our bills (we had 4 rooms) and handled it in such a professional manner - it was cleared up in no time!

I would, without a doubt, not hesitate to stay again at this hotel, or recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms; 2 with king beds - 2 with doubles. All 4 rooms were very clean and very quiet. The...
1  Thank NANCY22193

Dear Nancy22193,

Thank you for booking your accommodation needs with the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. We realize that there are many other options and we happy to know you chose us to help you celebrate your mothers special day. I will share this review with my team so they are aware that their hard work and great guest service, is being recognized. Thank you for your feedback. We are looking forward to have you stay with us in the future!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This hotel has it all! Great location! Clean rooms! Free Breakfast! Free Wi-Fi! Friendly & helpful staff! Safe and comfortable!

We stayed for July 4th weekend and it was fantastic! Take a look at our awesome view from our room on the 32nd floor! Amazing views of the Empire State Building! Beautiful patriotic lighting!

A special shout-out to Ms. Murillo for being so kind & thoughtful!

If you are looking for a place in Manhattan, THIS IS IT! Perfect for business or couples or families or holidays or anything!

When we return to NYC, we will book here again without hesitation!

Room Tip: Request a higher floor for exceptional views!

Dear Returningtoguat,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We really do appreciate and value your feedback. We are delighted to know that our front office staff were friendly and helpful. We are looking forward in welcoming you back to our hotel.

Frank Cortest

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel was very centrally located near the Theater district, Rockefeller area and Times Square. Great breakfast in the am and nice clean rooms. Easy to get to from the Lincoln Tunnel and you just valet the car and forget about it until you check out! Would definitely recommend this location to all!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lovemxOhio
Frank C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear LoveMxOhio,

Thank you so much for staying with the Holiday Inn Express Times Square while your visit to NYC. We are delighted to hear that our property’s location met your traveling needs. We are looking forward in welcoming you back to our hotel!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn next door and had a great stay last time I was in New York. I wanted to give the Holiday Inn Express a shot as I am a Platinum Member with IHG Rewards. I was not disappointed! After a long day, there's not much that is better than a smile and a "Welcome to New York"! The Front Desk Agent SINCERELY thanked me for being a Platinum Member. That really meant a lot to me as I have spent many nights in IHG hotels to gain that status. She informed me that she would give me a status upgrade. What a nice room! I later found out that the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Candlewood Suites (3 hotels right next to each other) are managed by the same franchise company. You really can't go wrong with any of these properties. I add a lot of value to good service, and you will receive it when you stay here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TJ F

Dear Traveler1Nebraska,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am glad that you gave the Holiday Inn Express Times Square an opportunity and that you were satisfied. I am happy to know that our staff really made a positive impact. We appreciate your loyalty and hope to have you stay with us in the near future.