“Overall good stay”

Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square
Ranked #290 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 31 July 2010

My Mom and I went to NYC to celebrate her 60th birthday at the end of July. Having been to NYC before and wanting to stay somewhere close to the theater district, we chose this hotel b/c we could use our Visa rewards points on a room. Overall, we had a very good stay. The hotel is very new and clean. The beds are comfortable, it seemed to be very quiet, and the complimentary breakfast was wonderful (and a cost saver in NY). There was also free wireless internet which was nice.

For us, the location worked, however, we also like to walk a lot - I could see where some others may not like the location. It is very close to Madison Square Garden, Penn Station, and the bus depot. There are also plenty of restaurants and shops in the area. However, it is a little misleading to call it the Holiday Inn Express "Times Square" as it is not in Times Square but actually quite a few blocks over. (We actually ended up being thankful for this though b/c I think that is why it was quiet there.) That being said, you can walk to Times Square and the theater district in about 10 minutes, or to Central Park in about 20/30 minutes. So it really depends on how much you want to walk (or take public transportation). Other than that, my only complaints would be small ones - the room was smaller (but that is kind of expected in NYC), and it was hard to regulate the temperature both on the thermostat and in the shower. The hotel itself was pretty small - only about six rooms on each floor - but very tall (about 40 floors).

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and if you are like us and walk a lot, then the location shouldn't be a problem. We decided after this trip that next time we would probably stay in another neighborhood, but that is just our preference.

2  Thank scmommy8
locazlocaz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel clean, quite, and comfortable. I agree that being just off Time Square does have the advantage of a more quite location but still in walking distance to most things.

I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2010

I stayed at the hotel for weekend and was very pleased with the rooms and the hotel staff. The reviews are pretty accurate in that the hotel is small (which I did not mind because I was never there for an extended period of time) and the elevators are slow because there are only two that service the entire hotel including the staff. I found that the elevators were hard to get during peak times, especially during the complimentary breakfast. However, you cannot beat the location! Its great to be four blocks away from Times Square and the Metro. Also, I had a nice view of the city from my room. I was happy with my choice.

2  Thank LoveLiveDivaLife

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location to suit your needs. I hope that you choose to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to New York.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 21 July 2010

My third stay in new york and this hotel was the best as far as value was concerned. Rooms are small but as expected. Given early check in at 11am. Front desk staff were excellent and heeded to my request for a third floor room. Breakfast was enjoyable and we were always there at 7:30am when it was always quite. Good location with easy walk to all attractions.
For USD200.00 per night for a family of 4 including brealfast exceeded my expectations for a New York Hotel!!
Remember you just need to plan to beat the crowds at breakfast and request a lower floor room..Therefore book early and youll also get the best rate!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! It was very nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also please that you enjoyed our Breakfast. We have been making changes to better serve our guests so I am pleased the changes are working. I look forward to meeting you when you return to New York.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

This is a great hotel in a great location for the price. 2 blocks from a subway. Walking distance to times square. Rooms are clean and bed is comfortable. I don't know when, but the property seems to have been renovated recently. The immediate area is average ... not trendy, but not a slum. Felt safe walking to/from hotel at night. Small rooms, but that's what you expect in NYC. Free breakfast included cereal, juice, yogurt, scrambled eggs w/ cheese, biscuits, gravy, sausage, toast, bagels, coffee, fruit. Get down early though, because later it's a zoo. Staff was friendly and helpful. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Hello and thank you for saying that you "Loved this hotel"! I am especially pleased to hear that you enjoyed our recently improved Breakfast. We have been taking guest's suggestions and improving our Breakfast. In fact, the construction of the new much larger Breakfast Bar has already begun. This will make serving our guests much easier.

Again, thank you for the nice review of our hotel.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

Hotel is about 4 blocks from Times Square, so it's fairly convenient, but it's not IN Times Square. As most hotels in NYC, everything is small, but front desk staff is working hard to make things comfortable for everybody. Rooms were small but it met all our needs. Internet service was free, but pretty slow. We were on the 28th floor of the 36. Elevator service was fine, even though there were only two, but they were pretty speedy. Fitness room is very small, but had several pieces of equipment. Breakfast was just like always at HiEx. Room didn't have a refrigerator which was disappointing (since most Holiday Inn Express hotels do have one), so our Juniors cheesecake we were counting on saving had to be thrown out. Bathroom was VERY small and toilet didn't have a lid, so you had to be very careful not to have anything fall off the sink into the toilet. The water in our sink and bathtub drained very slowly. Don't know if it was just our room or if it's indicative of the hotel. Room was very quiet and we did sleep really well.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for the feedback regarding the maintence issues, I will have our team look into that room. I am glad you enjoyed our newly improved Breakfast, soon it will be served on a much larger new constructed Breakfast Bar.

Thank you!

Reviewed 16 July 2010

I am quite a global traveller though I mostly spend my leisure and vacation time in places all over Japan, Thai, Toronto, the UK . New York is a city re-visited after 32 years. I read the latest 10 reviews before I write so as to keep a more impartial view on my experiences and those vacationers'. The hotel should acknowledge that the front staff fail to give a consistent and regular hospitality service to all at different time and days. I had both carrot and stick in my four night stays. While Roger impresses me with his prompt and casual and easy going manner, some are still keeping a busy, don't-care-less attitude.
The A/C system is the best of all amenities. The lighting cannot provide good night reading condition though I admit that westerners would prefer romance to practicality. Toiletry is sufficient for daily use save the absence of glass for rinsing. Those plastic cups are too small.
We cannot complain too much about the elevators. This building may not be for hotel accommodation in its primary construction, and nothing the hotel can do to speed up lifting. Without space for another service lift, both staff and guests should pardon each other for inconvenience and mess. If not, the best solution is to demolish it. By the way, this is HI Express. I know what I would get, and I would where the location should be by the name. In my home city, the HI Express is housed in a brand new building for 2-3 star accommodation for back-packers, tours, family holiday-makers and solo visitor like me, adjacent to Times Square, a shopping magnet for all tourists and the local. But this is New York. I believe I get the best value with what I pay though I do have complaints.
The continental breakfast is not 'continental'. It is quite 'New York', providing choices of food and varities close to a full breakfast. And it is complimentary! Try those continental breakfasts in Europe and the UK, and you understand why I am so grateful to what I can eat for my breakfast. The hotel even provides instant oatmeal in addition to cornflakes of three kinds and chilled yogurt. So, give concession to crowdiness. Provide spacing for each other. Be less selfish and less dominant. I saw a lady not giving way to a long queue unless she finished toasting ten slices of bread and two English muffins using the one-and-only-one toaster for 4 slices at a time. (why only one? I scratch my head to work out a reason)
Yes, about something missing: I also lost my sachet of bath treatment the next day. The maid might have considered this a trash, but the sachet is unopen in its original packaging, and it should not be mistaken as an abandoned object. I wrote a very polite memo to advise the maid to return it to me, in case they found it somewhere. The note was on the table unattended.
English? They may understand English, but can they communicate with guests well? I spent usually one hour in the quiet late morning to check and send e-mail, in the 'business centre' next to the staff laundry room, and I had not heard a word in English every time I was there. All staff there speak their own native language in a joyful, reckless and care-free manner which I hope I can have a share. I understand that the basement is their territory, but it is a space in New York, and their working time should not be taken for granted as their own free time. Besides, it is courtesy to speak a language that people around can understand in hospitality industry,
Jay, you are the only manager who replies to reviews in this column. Salute you!
joechan

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
locazlocaz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2010

Hello, and thank you for writing this very comprehensive review. I appreciate your comments regarding breakfast, and yes, we are about to begin our work on the new Breakfast Bar on which will be several toasting stations and much more room to better serve our guests. I appreciate your suggestions with regards to breakfast and in room amenities. Glassware instead of plastic is diffficult for us as the plastic cups are the Holiday Inn Express standard.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and thank you for your suggestions.

Hunter Angus D. Glass

Reviewed 9 July 2010

I made myself a promise that I would write this review before I go home because I know if I go home it will get lost in a stack of things to do and that wouldn't be fare. Having worked in major hotels with Disney, Hilton and Holiday Inn I can be a picky travel guest. This hotel beyond exceeded my expectations. In fact I cancelled another reservation and stayed longer at this location. It is right in the middle of everything and very clean for a city hotel. Yes the elevators are slow but your in cool AC while waiting. The breakfast is crowded but its free in NYC. I honestly couldnt have asked for a better holiday and I havent seen staff like this in a long time. They smile and are informative and if they dont know they find out which is incredible. Hunter was awesome too! He helped me move my reservation when I got sick and then helped when I wanted to stay longer. KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
locazlocaz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2010

Thank you very much for this wonderful review of our hotel. I am glad my team and I were able to make your stay enjoyable. The creation of the new much larger Breakfast Bar should begin soon so when you return, I'm sure you will enjoy our complimentary breakfast even more.

Please let me know if I can be assistance in the future.