“New York Perfection”

Ranked #178 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Denver, Colorado
“New York Perfection”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I recently spent a long weekend at The Standard in the East Village. My first experience with The Standard and it was great. Not only did they arrange perfect weather (no extra charge), the room and service were second to none. The views were amazing and the bar and restaurant were even better. But what put it over the top was the service. All of the staff were friendly, helpful and had great attitudes. A special shout-out to Jules Groth and Laytoya Isaac who handled the details perfectly. And don't miss the bone-in ribeye at their restaurant, Narcissa. Late service too.

Great amenities and fun bikes. A perfect location with great rooms, great food and great staff. I can't imagine staying anywhere else next time.

Room Tip: Corner suites on the higher floors have fantastic views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Charles K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

seriously. just amazing. the location, the views, the staff, the beds, the room. had the best time ever which was great as it was my partner's first time to NY. my son from LA & my bff from Maine came to stay with us a couple days each and were properly impressed. we were meant to stay only 6 nights, then moving to another hotel mid-town (just to experience the difference) but ended up staying here four more nights. so glad we did. mid town at the Yotel was fine, but not a patch on The Standard. I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor for the views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I lived in NYC for almost 10 years and moved back to the DC area (my hometown) in 2010, but still travel up to NYC often for business. In mid-March that was exactly the case and since I was only staying one night, I decided to book the Sunset Studio at The Standard, East Village. From the second I stepped out of the cab and headed into the hotel, the staff was warm, friendly, and attentive opening the door, offering to assist with my luggage, etc. The only frustrating thing was having to wait until 3pm to be able to check into my room. The business event I was in NYC for began at 4:30pm so I was hoping to be able to check into my room, catch up on emails, and relax/get ready for the event. I ended having to wait in Cafe Standard, a lovely dining option located within the hotel, until my room was ready but it was nice being able to grab a drink and access the wifi from the restaurant while I waited for my room.

At 3pm, I was alerted by staff that my room was ready, and the Sunset Studio was absolutely STUNNING and worth the wait! It featured sweeping views of the NYC skyline - the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building to my right, and the Freedom Tower to the left. The design was super crisp, clean, modern/contemporary, sophisticated, and bright. Loved it! The bed was insanely comfortable, plush/soft mattress, and lovely linens - silky soft and cozy. Within 10 minutes of getting settled into my room, I heard a knock at the door. It was a staff member with a thoughtful welcome amenity featuring a small bottle of wine, bottle of water. A nice touch after a long train ride up from DC. Didn't love the option for the bubble bath - pine - but I know everyone is different with scents. I'm not particularly a fan of minty/pine-scented candles, body wash, bubble bath, but that's just me! Other than that, I had a fantastic experience and certainly plan on going back next time I visit NYC, which I'm sure will be soon. Oh and room service was fantastic, quick, nice presentation, delicious, and they brought up everything I requested. Thank you for such an enjoyable first experience Standard, East Village staff!!! :)

Room Tip: The higher, the better the view of the beautiful city! The Sunset Studio was FABULOUS!!! Killer view...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I have stayed in many hotels over 20 years of visits to Manhattan and the Standard East Village is by far the most satisfying hotel I have ever stayed in. Not only does the hotel have a wonderfully attentive staff rushing to open every door for you or coming by your room for turn down service, but two great food options -- a small cafe perfect for breakfast or lunch, as well as one of the hippest new restaurants in the city. Our room was large (HUMONGOUS by New York standards) and the bed the comfiest I've ever slept on that wasn't my own. Yes, it's tempting to stay cooped up in the hotel all day, but keep in mind the coolest neighborhoods on the island are all within walking distance of the front door. In a brief three day stay, we walked to Soho, Chinatown, Downtown, Union Square, across the Brooklyn Bridge (a must -- and only a mile away), and jumped on the subway two blocks away to head up to the Upper East Side to see relatives. These areas are full of the best shopping and wonderful restaurants in Manhattan. You just cannot get a better location for a hotel and I won't stay anywhere else from now on.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2014

It doesn't get better than staying in the heart of the east village and the Bowery. The Standard East Village is the best hotel in new york for a genuine, downtown new york experience. The staff is fantastic, helpful (and just happen to be extremely good looking). Rooms feature a stunning view of lower manhattan, super comfortable bed and great bathroom. You dont even have to leave your hotel to dine at the hottest restaurant in nyc. Cafe Standard is awesome too - great drinks and cozy, chic ambiance. There is also an outdoor courtyard area - i visited in the winter and unfortunately didn't get to take advantage of that, but i imagine its delightful to sit and have a cup of tea or cocktail when the weather permits. Like the Standard Highline, The Standard East Village is well on its way to becoming a New York institution.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Comptche, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My two night bill was approaching $700, way north of my norm. And sure enough, THE Standard proved well above MY standard. The defining feature of this hotel is glass. It's everywhere. Even the shower has a floor to ceiling window. There's a gauze curtain, but it's still public enough to possibly bother some. Not me, fortunately, and I was on the third floor. That's in the box to the left of the vertigo-inducing precariously balanced main tower. Despite being close to both the noisy ground floor restaurants and the street, my room was quiet, and I slept well. The bed worked for me, and no one could fault the well stocked minibar, which even has condoms. If only I had a use for them. What I did have use for was an iron and I couldn't find one. This confirmed that I was out of my league. I presume guests at hotels in this range don't iron their own clothes, unlike me. The bathroom was tasteful and well equipped, and even the towels seemed classier than average. Of course, this might just be my imagination getting active. The toilet's a European style dual flush, and the beckoning tub even has a safety shaving mirror. Nice touch! And so very nice TO touch the heated floor. Love that warm floor! The staff were very good. They were friendly and efficient, even occasionally bordering on obsequious. One odd feature of this hotel is the menacing looking plain clothes bell men that hang in lobby. While I welcome the innovation of liberating staff from typical demeaning hotel uniforms, this effort is a step too far for me. There must be some happier sartorial medium between Nutcracker Tsarist foot soldier and gang member. All things considered, this is an efficient, modern, and friendly hotel, but pricey. Sadly, it's dismal sustainability characteristics made me pretty uncomfortable.
The sustainability rating I'm afraid is bold F. You need look no further than that all glass facade to see this hotel exhibits the same hostility to Mother Earth that characterizes this entire city. I suspect the dual flush toilet was chosen for aesthetics rather than efficiency, the laundry policy is mediocre, and it's sharply downhill from there. Incandescent and halogen lamps burn everywhere. For a new hotel, this is unforgivable. What century is this? In my case the incandescent bedside lamps weren't a problem because I couldn't figure out how to turn them on. When a maid left one on, presumably for half a day, I had to unscrew the bulb to stop it. In the evening, radiant heaters outside the restaurant attempted to warm the Village, but didn't achieve a level able to entice a single diner outside that I saw. It was chilly rainy weather. Eventually, they'll be successful as flaring gas like this will eventually warm the area, and the rest of the planet along with it. Is this their intent?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelIsWork
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This hotel has the best of many things...amazingly staff who were so friendly and helpful from booking the reservation down to walking out the door after check out. Had a bunch of things that I needed delivered for my stay that arrived days before I got there and the concierge took care of everything and even had it all set up in my room upon my arrival. Located in a great area that it's a short walk to any good restaurant or bar, beautiful views from our room and the bed was SOOOOO comfortable that we almost booked another night! Can't wait to come back especially since we didn't get to try the restaurant, heard really good things!

Room Tip: Pick west facing rooms, nicer views!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple