“Great Choice, for NYC”

Ranked #344 of 467 Hotels in New York City
near Phila.
“Great Choice, for NYC”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed here for a Saturday night, last weekend. I am sure that I also stayed here a few years ago, when it first opened, and was a Wyndham Hotel.

This is a nice hotel, in a great location, about a 10 minute walk from Penn Station, and not much further from the Port Authority bus Station. If you are coming in to town on Amtrak, this hotel is an excellent choice.

The rooms are clean, and big enough ( by New York standards ). The bed is comfortable, and the A/C does not make too much noise. Our room was surprisingly quiet, in the city that never sleeps. The hotel is one of the newer properties in NYC, and the room is very modern, and well laid out. There is an all night deli, around the corner, on 9th Avenue. We went to the Tick-Tock Diner, for breakfast.

The staff are exceptionally kind, and will go out of their way to help you. There is a concierge next to check in, and they offered to help us get theater tickets. We decided to strike out on our own, and tried to get tickets to see "The Maids"; but the only seats left were almost $300 each - we went to MOMA, instead. But that is New York. If plan A falls through, there is always a plan B ( and C,D,E and F ). So, even though we did not get to see Genet, we saw Toulouse-Lautrec, instead.

The room rates vary wildly, depending upon supply and demand. I keep an eye on the rate calendar, and will try to get back here as soon as they have another promotion.

2 Thank CJIMI
Joshua D, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear C Jimi,

Hello and good day! My name is Joshua Daly, Guest Relations Manager – DoubleTree Times Square South. Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you missed The Maids as you had anticipated, and I am glad that you found a replacement attraction in MOMA, but I would like to inform you of a theater ticket service, TKTS, located behind the red bleachers in the heart of Times Square, that offer discounted same day tickets to many of the Broadway shows. You may want to take advantage of this service or our concierge services, that are also available to assist in accommodating tickets to local shows and attractions. I hope that you choose to stay with us, the next time you return to town, and I would be glad to assist in all of your accommodations. You will find my contact information available below. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and thank you for choosing to stay with us. Have a wonderful day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in a few Doubletrees and really like them. Enjoyed our warm cookie, comfortable bed, quality smellies etc. We feel you get looked after more at Doubletree than some of the other hotels.This was a little smaller and more dated than Doubletree hotels we have stayed in previously however this was to be expected as it was bang in the middle of New York next to all the attractions. The location is excellent. Joshua , who I think may be a manager, was especially good and helped us with anything we needed or asked. Would stay there again or at any Doubletree.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tab C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions, it is most appreciated. It was my pleasure to be of service to you, and I hope that I can continue to be of service to you every time that you are visiting the Big Apple. Thank you for choosing us and have a wonderful day!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

A little walk from Time Square but great location to be away from the crowds and noise. The quality of the staff (especially Sal) made the walk worth it. Breakfast was hearty and hot. Room was very clean, beds uber comfortable, WiFi worked well and the cookies from the front desk are amazing...and Sal was great to talk to every time we came through the door.

Room Tip: We had a room on the street and it was plenty quiet enough. Ask for towels before you get to the ro...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Joshua D, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Tim,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am glad that you had a good time with us, and I thank you for making a special mention of one of our Guest Service All Stars Sal. I will be sure to recognize Sal for this outstanding performance. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and have a wonderful day!
arlington, va, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I enjoyed my stay at double tree hotel in midtown manhattan. I walked from penn train station. I was near Macys and other restaurants ANd store. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was reasonable and tasty. They had good internet service. My room was nice and clean. i would return again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Gloria F
Dear Gloria,

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the services of our staff as well as our tasty breakfast. Please, make us your hotel of choice whenever you are visiting the NYC area, we'll keep a few pancakes on the griddle for you! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions and have a wonderful day!
new england
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have stayed at this most convenient, clean and super friendly hotel numerous times while
on business at the Javits Center and for family gatherings in the city. The staff is terrific! They greet you upon arrival and are ready to assist and advise. Great breakfast--and we esp love their home made granola--even got some to take home. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear CDSkid,

We are very glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us, once again, and that you will continue to stay with us.. It is our pleasure to host your travels, and we look forward to your next anticipated stay with us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions and have a wonderful day!
Ventura
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton Times Square South from Aug. 6-11. The overall experience was PHENOMENAL! The staff at the hotel were AWESOME especially Sal who was the doorman in the early evening. Sal was very polite and told us where to hang out for drinks and dinner. The location was a 5 minute walk to Times Square and multiple subway lines we're within a block of the hotel. Only downside to the hotel was room size it was small and only 2 elevators for 25 floors. But we made due and we fit four people in the room and made it work. If we EVER travel back to NYC we will be staying there!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Joshua D, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Jimmy,

I am thrilled to hear that Sal made such an impact on your time with us as well as your visit to New York City! Sal, me and the rest of the gang here at DoubleTree Times Square are always here and happy to host your travels! Please make us your home base every time your in town, we'll keep a few cookies on the burner. Thank you for sharing this feedback, I look forward to sharing it with the Team, and thank you for choosing to stay with us! Have a wonderful day!
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel was in an area close to many attractions. We went to a concert at Madison Square Garden and it was within 5 mins walking distance so it was very convenient. The staff at the reception were extremely friendly and helpful especially the night manager Sal. Whenever we had questions they were very helpful and sorted things out for us straight away. The housekeeping however was not up to scratch. They were very slow to service the rooms and it seemed to happen quite late in the day. We were there for 5 nights and not once did we get all the towels required. The housekeeping staff that we saw in the hallways and lifts were very rude and unhelpful. Also they didn't give the option of using your towels on multiple days, they just took them and didn't always replace them.

Room Tip: The higher levels would be quieter
Dear Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable feedback and thank you for taking the time to recognize Sal, on of our DoubleTree Times Square South Guest Service All Stars. I look forward to sharing these high praises with Sal, as well as the rest of the Guest Services Team. I am awefully sorry, however, for the linen supply issues that the hotel was experiencing during your stay with us, as well as any inconvenience that this caused you during your travels. I am happy to report that we have since rectified this issue by changing our linen supplier. If you have any additional feedback that you would care to share to help us improve your services and accommodations or if there is anything that I can do to further improve your level of satisfaction of our services, please contact me at 212.542.8990 ext. 3206/joshua.daly@hilton.com. I am happy to be of service. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and have a wonderful day!