“Mum and daughter travelling. Very good location!!”
Review of Royal Park Hotel

Royal Park Hotel
Ranked #383 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Swansea
“Mum and daughter travelling. Very good location!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed here for 3 night between 09 July - 12 July 2013. It was a last minute trip so other hotels in the city were stupidly expensive (between £600-£800 for the 3 nights!!). I was paying for this traip for myself and my mum as a birthday present so couldn't really afford anything expensive, I found a double room with private bathroom on booking.com for £259! I was quite sceptical after reading the reveiws and after learning that it was classed as a hostel. I decided to go ahead and book despite the bad reviews and just hoped the good reviews were true!
It cost about $57 for a taxi from JFK which was fine. When we first arrived, check in was seamless. Before arriving I'd actually requested a renovated room after reading that only half of the building had been renovated. The gentleman at the desk advised that my request had been granted and that we were in roon 3E. The lift was a little rickerty and a bit nervy but it got us up no problem! The room was clean and tidy and I loved the open brick effect and the bed was comfy!
We headed straight to Times Square and the subway station was only 1 block away (96th street). Times Square was only 2 stops away on subway trains 2 & 3 so the location of the hotel was fab!
During the nights, the room was quiet (although the necessary AirCon was very loud).
The cleaner did a good job. One day we requested the room not be disturbed but when we returned, the bed was still unmade, although the bins had been emptied which was weird.
Overall, I'd definitely recommend this hotel. The loaction is brilliant and it is excellent value for money!!! I was worried before going that it would literally only be for backpackers but being that we had a private bathroom, we hardly saw anyone else. Please ignore the other negative reviews. Just book a private room and request a room in the renovated part of the building!

Room Tip: 3E was brilliant! Request a room in the renovated part of the building!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Hayley D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Greek first
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2013

stayed here for 3 nights on a quick trip to NYC at end of May! place was clean, convenient and basic and just right for the traveler looking for a place to sleep and freshen up! Good Price and perfect for short stays

Room Tip: Room at back was quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Col92
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

I lived here for 1 week. It was dirty, i gound other peoples hair in our bed a number of times even though they "cleaned" everyday. I didnt want to go barefoot anywhere, it was dirty and filthy. 4 out of 7 day there where no toilet paper in the bathroom. One day i forgot my shampo in tje bathroom, the next day it was gone.

The tv was smal and old. U couldnt watch tv vuz the tv was on the table next to the bed (it was to close)

Also we had to change room 3 times cuz they gave us wrong room. The room was SO SMAL, we could harldly fit 2 normal size cases.

Some of the showers didnt work, the doors was hard to close and opend. And the elevator was SO SLOW AND OLD. 50% it came when i pushed the button and 50% it was stuck somewhere. And its 8 floors so u dont want to walk up.

When we asked if we could put pur bags on tr lobby when we checkrd out they wanted to charge 2$/bag just for 1h.

4 Thank Farnande

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This hotel is 10 times worse than it looks in the pictures. Stay away from it! For about the same money you can find a much better place to stay. If you still have to choose this hotel, don't go for the non-refundable option, because for sure, when you see it you will want to cancel right away, as we did.

The hallways smell bad, the building is old and grim, the bedrooms are small, barely enough room for a bed, the bathrooms are shared and on some floors there is no bathroom!

There is no AC. The staff is totally unprofessional. We were greeted by a bare-foot receptionist who said he was about to take a shower because it was too hot!

Luckily we immediately found another hotel, a much nicer one. For the same price we got a clean, modern and comfortable room in mid-town. And we lost our non-refundable fare for this one.

Consider yourself warned!

Room Tip: Don't believe the nice pictures. Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank epuon
Despinal258, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Client,

We appreciate that you took your time out to write a review of our establishment. Our apologies if we couldn't provide you with the highest customer service during your stay. Next time you're in our area ask to see our Deluxe Room; which might be more of what you were looking for when you arrived. We had little resource of presenting you with another room during your stay, as we were at full capacity, so try to book in advanced to secure the room. If you have a chance give me a call personally at 212-665-7434.

Denise Espinal
Royal Park Hotel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The hostel is in a great location as it is really close on the subway to Times Square. The guy at reception was really friendly and gave us tips on where to go and what to do. There is a bagel stall right outside and a great food mart just around the corner. Plenty of amenities without having to walk far. We had a room with two double beds and it was more like a basic hotel than a hostel. We were very pleasantly surprised. There was a TV with lots of channels and noise was never an issue. The only two problems we came across were the wifi and the bathrooms. The wifi only reached the fifth floor and we were at the top so had to come the reception to use the wifi ( unless you fancy sitting on the corridor of the fifth floor). The bathrooms were shared which is fine apart from the fact there were only two per floor. They were always busy and I found myself having to use the shower on the second floor one day after checking all the other bathrooms. However weighing it up its a very good price for NYC, has comfy beds and you won't actually be in the hostel for long because there's so much to do. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nicola11491
california
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I just came back from my third stay at Royal Park this past week and i have some strong feelings as to its good and its bad. First off, this hotel could not have been in a more central area, located on broadway, one has access to an abundance of restaurants, grocery stores, shopping, and easy subway access that will get you into the heart of manhattan within minutes. I feel as though i am a new yorker when i stay on the upper west side because of the neighborhood feel. Moving on from the location, the hotel itself is very old and needs more renovation. For a little over $100 a night, rooms do not come with bathrooms. They are located down the hall, unless you spend a little more to have a private bathroom. I was fine with sharing a bathroom, as i have done so all three stays. Most of the hall bathrooms are small, but clean, and i have yet to encounter any major problems. In the past, i have stayed in October of 2011, December of 2012, and just recently June of 2013. This was my first summer in new york, and as expected it does get hot and humid. Unfortunately i felt very uncomfortable in the rooms as there is no airconditioner, only a ceiling fan and window. I am not picky with hotels and normally wouldn't complain but let me tell you it was stuffy in the rooms, and at times unbearable as to where we had to keep the door and window wide open. As for staying in the winter, don't worry about being cold, as i found that i never did, but warning the furnace goes on and off throughout the night which can be a big disturbance. Room service has messed up several times as i had towel issues so bring your own just in case. Rooms are very basic, t.v basic cable channels, beds are hard, and be lucky if you have an open and working electric outlet. Basically, come to royal park if you are on a budget, and will be out enjoying the city all day, too busy to stay back at the hotel. I left at 9:00 am and came back at 12 am everyday so for me, it was just a place to sleep. Good luck on future travels.
-Natalie

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, or book a room with a bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank alwaysatthebeach15
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Despite me confirming the booking in advance when my partner and I arrived the en suite room that was booked was not available due to an unspecified 'situation'.

What made it worse was the level of customer service on display. The receptionist offered a small discount for our inconvenience, then was rude for the rest of our stay, eg. Starting to speak to an unseen colleague halfway through speaking to us and preferring to chat to a friend over dealing with us at reception. Left a bad impression of New Yorkers which overall we didn't get from anyone else!

• Stayed June 2013