“Terrible room”
Review of Royal Park Hotel

Ranked #385 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This place does not look at all like the pictures on the web site. We had hard noisy beds, 4 bath towels, a tv that worked, an air conditioner and nothing else. I was afraid to take a shower in the tub, because I was afraid of slipping so I use the shower in the bathroom across the hall. There was no shampoo, glasses for water or anything else. I didn't like staying there and will never again. It was way too expensive for what was provided. I don't recommend it. I did not realize it was a hostel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank SANDRA S
Despinal258, Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Client,

We appreciate that you took your time out to write a review of our establishment. Our apologies if we couldn't provide you with the highest customer service during your stay. Next time you're in our area ask to see our Deluxe Room; which might be more of what you were looking for when you arrived. We had little resource of presenting you with another room during your stay, as we were at full capacity, so try to book in advanced to secure the room. If you have a chance give me a call personally at 212-665-7434.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed five days with my wife at w/ bath room. It's good stay for us. Room is clean, not small for Asian people.

Advantage:
Subway station(96st.) is close to the hotel, an express subway is stopping the station.
Free Wifi at lower floor.

Disadvantage:
Less privacy, I can hear noise(foot steps) from other rooms.
Slow Elevator, if you stay upper floor, it is necessary to wait.

Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

The room was perfect, good sized bathroom and clean when we arrived. We did have to ask for towels a few times as the cleaners took them and never replaced them. Also we had an issue with our door as the handle broke on many occasions which was annoying but we were offered another room. Subway, supermarkets, restaurants, bars and Central Park all in short walking distance. Overall a great stay in a great city.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Stephen W
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My 18yr old daughter and I stayed in a private room with two double beds and shared bathroom on the 5th floor. The shared bathroom was a bit on the dingy side and the shower head was blocked, the water was only coming out of 12 holes so down to a trickle. The toilet was 6 inches away from the shower, so moisture was present nearly every toilet visit from other peoples showers. The TV reception in our room was fuzzy our entire stay, and there was only one double power point in the room so you couldn't recharge cell phone or lap top and have the TV on and A/C too. No coffee facilities or refrigerator in the room. The room itself was dark and smelt musty with the smell of cigarette smoke permeating our floor even though it's a non-smoking hotel. It's noisy with the streets sounds and sirens heard loud and clear. Make sure you bring ear plugs. On a plus side the bed was very comfortable and the bed linen was changed daily in our very small room. Yes, like other people say on the reviews here, the elevator was a pain in the backside. Very old and worse for wear. On our last day here the elevator stopped working so we had to drag our luggage down 5 floors. I was also surprised and disappointed with the nightly rates, and felt totally ripped at the final cost of staying in this old and smelly place. Our stay should of cost us $482 via their website, yet ended up costing nearly double at $843 for 4 nights! Fee's, taxes etc. We were booked in here for extra nights in between tours of NY but I cancelled and went to a cleaner, newer hotel and it ended up being cheaper to stay at "Holiday Inn". I would not bother staying here again and I will recommend to friends and family to stay at any other hotel but this one. Feeling ripped off ......

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs. Ask for a renovated room.
6  Thank Morganpleming28
Despinal258, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Reviewed 29 August 2013

My wife and i stayed in this hotel 14th of august . We got a room in the sevent floor . The elevator stopped between the floors and we asked for emergency release 15 minutes. We were released by the civil protection police men . The hotel is very dirty . No brakfast is provided . No other service than hard bed .
We do not recommend it .

2  Thank Nour F

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed here for 3 night between 09 July - 12 July 2013. It was a last minute trip so other hotels in the city were stupidly expensive (between £600-£800 for the 3 nights!!). I was paying for this traip for myself and my mum as a birthday present so couldn't really afford anything expensive, I found a double room with private bathroom on booking.com for £259! I was quite sceptical after reading the reveiws and after learning that it was classed as a hostel. I decided to go ahead and book despite the bad reviews and just hoped the good reviews were true!
It cost about $57 for a taxi from JFK which was fine. When we first arrived, check in was seamless. Before arriving I'd actually requested a renovated room after reading that only half of the building had been renovated. The gentleman at the desk advised that my request had been granted and that we were in roon 3E. The lift was a little rickerty and a bit nervy but it got us up no problem! The room was clean and tidy and I loved the open brick effect and the bed was comfy!
We headed straight to Times Square and the subway station was only 1 block away (96th street). Times Square was only 2 stops away on subway trains 2 & 3 so the location of the hotel was fab!
During the nights, the room was quiet (although the necessary AirCon was very loud).
The cleaner did a good job. One day we requested the room not be disturbed but when we returned, the bed was still unmade, although the bins had been emptied which was weird.
Overall, I'd definitely recommend this hotel. The loaction is brilliant and it is excellent value for money!!! I was worried before going that it would literally only be for backpackers but being that we had a private bathroom, we hardly saw anyone else. Please ignore the other negative reviews. Just book a private room and request a room in the renovated part of the building!

Room Tip: 3E was brilliant! Request a room in the renovated part of the building!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Hayley D
Reviewed 28 July 2013

stayed here for 3 nights on a quick trip to NYC at end of May! place was clean, convenient and basic and just right for the traveler looking for a place to sleep and freshen up! Good Price and perfect for short stays

Room Tip: Room at back was quiet
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends