“Not going back” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #333 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Not going back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I was excited for the hotel because of the price and location, but this was a horrible stay. When I first arrived at my room at around 9pm, it had an overwhelming smell of body odor. I thought I'd give it a while to see if it would disappear or if I'd get used to it (even tried airing it out with the windows on 90 degree weather) but it persisted for the few hours I ended up staying. The walls are PAPER THIN. I could hear the details of every conversation the men in the room next door were having (one liked to whistle). I had an early flight in the morning and really wanted to sleep so I called downstairs to see if I could switch rooms. The person who answered the phone said no but offered that I could come downstairs to get a pair of earplugs (as an experienced traveler I always bring my own, also I had already changed clothing). He offered to call the room to tell them that the walls are extremely thin but he never did (I could hear every word that was said). I turned on the AC, which as other posts have noted is disruptively loud (no joke) and finally fell asleep only to be awoken at 3am by a loud buzzing sound that made my entire room shake. At first I thought it was some type of fire alarm (sounded like an air raid). But after going into the hall, I discovered it was coming from directly behind my bathroom wall. I called downstairs to inquire about the noise and they simply thanked me for letting them know. I ended up checking out at 330 am because waiting at la Guardia was more comfortable. The elevator had a strong smell of natural gas. The night manager said sorry and offered to hail a taxi for me when he got off the phone but I simply left.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank wanderlustbeantown
Michael W, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property as your first Trip Advisor review and let us know the challenges you ran into on your recent stay.

As a guest at our property, you should certainly expect an odor-free, quiet room. As a high-occupancy property, we are sometimes unable to provide a room-move later in the evening due to there being no vacant rooms. In this case, we believe the front desk agent was merely attempting to think "outside-the-box" when offering ear plugs, and apologize if this came off as offensive.

We apologize this stay did not meet your expectations and do hope to see you again. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay perfect, please do not hesitate to reach out to our front desk staff prior to arrival.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Turkish first
Galloway, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed here for a few days.
Free water, coffee, happy hour on Wednesdays. Good location with heart of Village within walking distance.
Rooms are small, but it's NYC. I was alone on business so did not bother me.
Rooms were clean, which is important and service was good.
Staff friendly.

Restaurant attached I did not experience but had a drink at small bar.

Good value for what it is.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Michael W, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our Best Brews event and appreciate the kind words you had for our staff.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to NYC!
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Looks like I've reviewed this hotel twice already (great reviews) and I've probably stayed here about half a dozen times over the last 5 years. Sadly, I think this will be my last.

Nothing particularly 'wrong' happened on this visit - it's just that nothing was particularly great. I find this hotel is pretty average, a pretty bare bones product and the rooms are just tiny. TINY! I know this is typical for New York rooms - smaller than other cities but I really felt that I had it this time. My room also looked straight out at a brick wall.

I really don't find any compelling reason to stay here except for the location - close to Broadway and my office but I am going to try elsewhere for next time - Marriot Courtyard nearby and some newer hotels around the corner on Hudson. I paid about $350 per night which is expensive and I really felt I didn't get a whole lot. Bathrom is tired but otherwise clean.

Staff were nice but I could really have done without their unprofessional conversation about how shocked they all were that someone had just gotten fired. The whole lobby was privy to their conversation and all work had to stop in order for this gossip to be shared. Nice.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our property on your third visit. We are glad you chose to stay with us again and apologize this trip fell short of your expectations.

It sounds like you were in a traditional king room, our starting room which is roughly 180 sq. ft. with a king bed on lower floors. As per the nature of being on lower floors, some of the rooms do have obstructed views. Our property does offer the option to book city view rooms should that be your preference.

In response to our rate at the time you booked, it looks like your last trips were in February and September of previous years. Our rates are based on availability and demand in the Manhattan area, so typically rates will be a bit higher during peak demand seasons such as summer, winter holidays, fashion week, etc. Special events and seasons are something to keep in mind when planning a trip to NYC for rate-sensitive guests.

We agree it is absolutely inappropriate and unprofessional for staff to discuss workplace or personal gossip in front of our guests. We take your comments very seriously and have directed them to the front desk management team.

While your last stay may not have been up to expectations, please be assured we take your comments very seriously and will work to resolve any missed opportunities we had to make this a perfect experience. We hope to see you again on your next trip to NYC.
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

this has to be the worst hotel I've stayed in. I paid $350 per night and when I arrived to my room it was dusty, the shower had water stains on the walls as if they had not cleaned it. Not to mention there was hair on my sheets and stains on my pillow cases. I called the front desk attendant and asked to speak with a supervisor for them to only put me on hold for 10min. Not only was I on hold, I was directed to a manager being told the supervisor was not in at the moment. When speaking to the manager not only was the young man rude and snappy, I was constantly being cut off before he hanged the phone up on me. I was so dissatisfied with my stay. The only good that came out of this trip was the location. Everything was in walking distance, the food from the restaurant was delicious and the front desk were very pleasant. Other than that I would not think twice about visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank raylegua
AdamModica, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Please call me directly. I would like to discuss the incidents in detail.

Adam
angela24c
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here one night for a little shopping in SoHo. The room was small but sufficient and the bathrooms are nicely decorated. I received free water on check-in and after returning from a long day of shopping was given more bottles to get me through the night :)

The location is perfect if your primary area is SoHO - walking distance to everything is minimal. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael W, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. We're glad you were able to take advantage of the unique shopping and dining experience here in SoHo, and that we could keep you hydrated throughout your trip! Our complimentary bottled water and wifi internet access are just a couple ways we ensure a comfortable stay at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Very clean and very conveniently located hotel in SoHo Manhattan. I found this location very safe. Walking distance to Broadway shopping, restaurant. Walking distance to the Greenwich Village. Close to 2 subway lines.
The hotel was good value for money.

Some glitches with the TV remote (old batteries) and coffee maker (not working at all.)

Room Tip: My room was on the 10th floor, with not much of a view, than a solid brick wall. To get some sort of...
Green Features: They have a plan that you can choose to forgo daily cleaning and obtain some points and discounts.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the comments. We appreciate the feedback.
Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Very disappointed in my stay here. I paid $350/night which is exhorbitant for the product being offered. This is a $89 room in any other city in the US. Front desk staff were not particularly friendly, engaged or professional - everything seemed like a hassle. Everything about the place felt cheap, except the price. The room furnishings were of low qualtiy to begin with and are beat up. There is a lot of noise from the elevators and from the garbage trucks outside. The shower leaked and the bathroom amenities were poor quality. All the shelves/racks in the bathroom felt like they were about to fall off the wall. Interior walls had splatters of some description all over them. Air conditioning unit wasn't working when I got to my room - then noisy when it was "fixed". Next time, will find somewhere else to stay.

1 Thank brently55
Thank you for providing feedback. We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.