“Overbooked - No room & No notice”

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #87 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Vienna, Austria
“Overbooked - No room & No notice”
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We booked (and payed) one month in advance only to realize that there was no room available for us. The lady at the reception was not helpful at all and only as the manager arrived the staff started to look for an alternate stay. We already arrived late (midnight, due to an overbooked intercontinental-flight with Continental) and were quite astonished by this level of service quality.

We consider this behaviour as very frutrating as we had an important business meeting the next morning and therefor selected this special hotel in this special area. Another party of our group arrived 2 days in advance: They were not informed about the situation nor were we contacted in advance (they had our phone number, fax, e-mail, you name it).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank polzinho
Ink48, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
Dear Polzinho,

I am sorry for the less than pleasant experience you had upon arrival to my property and the subsequent relocation to another hotel. Our standard practice is to contact every guest prior to arrival if we have any unforeseen same day emergency.

Thank you for your feedback, and I will be definitively ensure my team makes every effort to meet our guests' expectations.

Victor Muoghalu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Polish first
Chicago
Reviewed 2 June 2011

I was in NYC celebrating my 30th birthday and stayed at Ink48.

I called to add my friend onto the reservation when he booked his ticket and spoke with Olga who was incredibly sweet and helpful. I called back a month later to inquire about an early check-in (my friend had a redeye from LA) and Olga picked up again and remembered me! They were able to get us into our room by noon, which was greatly appreciated. After catching an afternoon show, we returned to champagne and candy accompanied by a hand-written note from Olga wishing me a happy birthday. While there were many memorable things about the hotel, such as the roof view and fun decor, the personal attention by your staff is what stands out.

I will be back and I will recommend this hotel to anyone coming to NYC

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We were looking for a great little place close by, knowing the neighborhood is a challenge. Walking distance, too. Jeffrey suggested a fantastic place called Taboon on 52nd and 10th Ave. One of the best meals I've had in NYC. Great bar, too. Every bite was delicious. A perfect little corner resto about 5 minutes from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Just wanted to write a quick note about my experience at Ink48! It was absolutely fabulous. There was a group of us who stayed there for my mother's 60th birthday celebration, and the staff went above an beyond my expectations...with everything from birthday greetings for her when we checked in to accommodating us for a birthday celebration. The city view room was spectacular, and the rooftop lounge was just as perfect. I have stayed in several boutique hotels in New York, but this may be my new favorite. I loved every moment we were there! The beds were super comfortable and the rooms pretty large by NY standards. Thanks so much to the staff for making my mother's birthday one of the best ever! We will definitely be back again!

Room Tip: City view rooms are fab!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank heyjude78
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We booked 6 nights online using Priceline, I didn't use "name your own price", just booked what was there. Upon checking in at night we were given a room on the second floor. We totally hated it, the view was a car garage or something and we asked to be moved the same evening. They were kind enough to accommodate us and move our stuff into a new room the next day while we were touring.

We were able to walk to Broadway easily from this hotel. The walk gave us a good idea of where the awesome restaurants were. We were able to walk to the theatre to watch Wicked. We loved how quiet it was and how comfortable our room was. We ended up sleeping in a lot towards the end of the trip and cabbing around. Surprisingly, taking a cab was really affordable and I found it way easier than spending our time trying to navigate NYC by transit.

Overall a great stay. Really friendly doormen. Don't miss going up to the rooftop to party.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We were staying in New York for one night before leaving on our cruise to Bermuda. This trip was scheduled for my husband's birthday and came at a perfect time since he was recovering from a broken arm. When we arrived they asked about his arm and wished him a Happy Birthday. Immediately upgraded our room- spacious, comfortable, clean, and great decor. Shortly, we had a knock at the door and they were delivering champagne and a happy birthday tray of goodies. We enjoyed the complimentary wine tasting that they have each night and the coffee service the next morning. By joining the Kimpton In-touch program you get comp Internet and can splurge at the mini-bar. Conv location to the cruise terminal.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for a river view
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bamagirl_12345
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2011
We're so happy you had an INKcredible time staying with us and that we were able to make your husband's birthday a memorable experience!
Reviewed 30 May 2011

My wife and I took a quick weekend getaway in NYC. I chose Ink48 because of the positive reviews and because it was supposed to have great views of the New York skyline. The great reviews and claims of great views were right on the money. We had a city view room that provided a wonderful view -- especially at night -- of the Big Apple. The room itself was stylish and modern, and the bathroom was huge, providing both a tub w/shower and a separate rain shower, as well as double sinks. The platform bed was comfortable and the furnishings were modern.

The folks at the front desk, and doormen were also very nice. The internet costs $10, unless you're already a Kimpton Hotels rewards member, or want to join.

We visited the rooftop lounge on Saturday night and the views of the city and Hudson River were fantastic. It was Fleet Week while we were there and plenty of sailors took the chance to visit with family and friends. The crowd enjoyed the open air roof and the indoor lounge area. We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food.

The hotel is a block from the Hudson River and in the midst of several car dealerships, but that wasn't a problem. If you walk a couple of blocks to 10th or 9th Avenue, you'll have a variety of restaurants and bars to choose from. Taxis are easy to catch as well, which is how we rolled the entire weekend. If you want to be in the middle of Times Square, this isn't the hotel for you. But if you want a great hotel that's a short taxi ride to Times Square and elsewhere, this is a great choice.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple