“Very nice, except”

GreenLeadersGold level
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Very nice, except”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Ink48 was a very nice experience. I had a corner room which seemed spacious for all of the windows. The room was actually on the typical smallish new York size. The staff--so very friendly--impressive. I didn't get to take advantage of the evening wine nor the morning coffee; however, nice ideas. I do wish the room had a coffee maker.
So the exception: if you are a solo woman who is not city-wise, this hotel is not in a good location. I am comfortable walking in the city by myself at night: if you are not, you will need to use taxis for transportation, as this hotel is not near any subway stops. I can even imagine some women not being comfortable in daytime.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a corner room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lindaannie2
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Looks like you were delighted by one of our corner rooms that offer sweeping views of the NYC skyline. Being located in the vibrant Hell’s Kitchen area truly offers an authentic NYC experience while being so close to Time Square and the Theatre district. The train station is 3-avenues away, a 10-12 minute walk, however for bus lovers the bus stop is a 2-minute walk. I have notated your preferences as wanting a coffee maker in the room, so the next time you stay with us it will be waiting in your room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Hotel staff were very helpful and were fantastic with my pre-visit request. On check in the reception staff were extremely helpful with local knowledge and places to visit. The hotel is located approx 10-15 minutes walk from key landmarks including Times Square so close enough to walk but slightly quieter at night, in the city that never sleeps! The room was spacious, cleaned to a very high standard and tastefully decorated. Would recommend if looking for a hotel just outside the main areas.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Hello,

I am glad to read you had a great time with us and we surpassed all your expectations. I truly hope to welcome you back to INK48 in the near future.
St Martins, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Excellent, starting from door staff and finishing with housekeeping. Special thanks to receptionist Stephen and housekeeper Miu. Our room was on 15th floor nr 1502- very large room, breathtaking view to city, and very clean.Unfortunately didn't had a time to visit upstairs bar or restaurant, just lack of time.... Thank you Ink48 for making my and my wife's holidays so special!!!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Hi there,

Thank You kindly for your kind words, I will certainly share the feedback with the team!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,

Didier
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We got an ok room with a limited view. Upgrades were pricey and as frequent kimpton stayer was not comped an upgrade. Not the best Kimpton in the city.Not in the nicest location and was not that cheap for a weekend either. The happy hour had ok wines, a rather busy spot right by the elevators so not a real cosy place to sit. The bar up top however was fantastic with great views- its not owned by hotel, so you cannot charge to your room.

Room Tip: i guess the suites are the way to go--
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tanya G
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Dear Tgio,
Sorry we missed the mark on your recent stay with us. We are a little bit away from the hustle and bustle but not too far away. Glad you were able to enjoy the fantastic view of Press Lounge. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I've stayed here twice and have nothing bad to say about it... we arrived to complimentary wine. im allergic to feathers and they upgraded us to a hypoallergenic room. the staff was very helpful. the location isnt so close to everything which is kind of nice. the linens were clean which is important to me. and bathrooms were immaculate (i took a bath) all in all wonderufl experience AGAIN

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear alfur810,

Thank you for being a loyal guest. it does feel great to arrive somewhere to a glass of wine.I'll make sure to pass on tyour comments about the clealiness of the rooms and helpful staff. We love having a little distance(not too much) from busyness of the city.

Hope to see you soon!
Portsmouth
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I'm quite a harsh marker of places I stay and part of me could easily have given this hotel 5 out of 5.

Interior - Fabulous. From entry to exit, the hotel is gorgeous.
The Hudson Suite that I had was huge, with floor to ceiling glass which showed the famous old river in all it's magnificance.
The Bathroom was so big, it verged on decadent. The bath so deep you could float.
The service was excellent, always prompt and professional.
And it's a groovy place! The little touches which add personality are really nice. Even the free wine at 5pm was better than you would normally get at that sort of session.
Location - perfect. Away from the noise of the centre and with only a 10 minute walk required, it feels like a proper oasis away from the hysterical vibe that is Central Manhattan.

The view from the rooftop bar is spectacular and adding plentiful supplies of blankets to the area meant you never got cold - even in sub zero temperatures 16 floors up.

So - the odd few things which scored this place down.

They seem to have an odd commercial arrangement with the people who run the breakfast and top floor bar areas. As a default, you don't get a kettle or drinks making facility in your room. However, on request, a coffee maker was provided with pods for a days worth of coffee which were replenished on request. However, coffee makers do not boil the water enough for tea of any sort. And on my final morning, the coffee ran out. I went to the breakfast area and asked for some coffee as reception was rammed with check-outs. But rather than give me a caffetiere, because I was taking it to my room and because "they are not part of the hotel" I was given coffee in 2 take away cups and an attempt of sorts was made to charge me $10. Forget it. I went over the road, got better coffee for $3 and put it down to an error of judgement by the junior breakfast staffer. However, reception re-affirmed that they were an autonomous company and would not allow their coffee stuff to be taken away from the area. A particularly dump thing to be explaining to someone spending $350 a night. What was I going to do with it - smuggle a $10 caffetiere back to England?

Ditto odd commercial setup with the bar at the top of the hotel. No charging to rooms even though my room was just a few floors below. So I had to go back to my room to get my wallet even though I had settled into the evening with my friends.

Minor things of course, but when I gave feedback (on request) to the senior at reception at check out, he started on about "ever since 9/11".... at which point I stopped him to avoid a nonsense conversation starting up. I worked in NYC for over 2 years and the only thing which 9/11 did when it comes to charging drinks to your room, is give people with little influence to change things, a semi-plausible excuse to use.

Lastly, because it was such a special occasion, I tried to upgrade from the Hudson Suite to one of the 2 really expensive suites with a balcony. This proved virtually impossible as the chap answering emails (when he eventually did) was really aloof about the process to do this, the cost of doing so and the actual benefit of the other suite. Nothing of significance appears on line about these 2 suites - but they do exist!!

However, I'd recommend this place and would stay there again - perhaps on someone elses budget next time though!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear WatfordPete,

Thank you so much for all the positive feedback! One of my favorite room types is a Hudson Suite. The views are just spectacular and the bathrooms are HUGE (almost another room in itself). I do agree with how great it is that we are not right in the center of all the electricity of the city. It is a nice walk to Times Square and a nice walk back to a little peace.
On the other hand, wish the experience with the restaurant/bar would have been a little different. We will do our best to communicate more on the operation.
Hope to see you soon!
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

It was our first trip to New York, our four son's treated us to five nights here for my wife's 50th Birthday.
Ink48 was a great Hotel well positioned and with easy walking distance of Time Square.
The room was very nice with a good view of the Hudson.
We would definitely recommend this Hotel we had a fantastic time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Martin C,

It sounds like your wife's 50th was fantastic and we are happy your sons choose us for such a special occasion. Thank you for the nice review and hope to see you again if you are ever in New York City again.