“.38 Special”

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington, DC
“.38 Special”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was only my second stay at a Kimpton property and Ink48 was well worth it. I'm a native New Yorker and staying at hotel when you're visiting your hometown is rather odd, but it was my birthday weekend and I wanted the full experience. I like the location of this hotel being on 11th ave because you can walk to 42nd St and not have to be bothered with the crowds of people as you leisurely stroll down 11th ave. Also you can easily make your way to Penn Station without having to fight through all the NYC traffic. My stay consisted of 3 nights at Ink48 and upon arrival the front desk personnel noticed that it was my birthday weekend and provided me with a bottle of champagne upon arrival in my room. I was given a wonderful secluded city view room on a high floor and the view was good. I also used the fitness center while I was there and it was more than I expected because there were free weights so I was able to do the basic chest and arm exercises which was great because who wants to do pushups on a hotel floor. The fitness center also had fresh towels, a TV, and water was available which was a nice touch. I did not go to the rooftop lounge during this stay, however, I have been to the rooftop lounge before and the drinks were good and views were impressive. I did not eat at the restaurant inside Ink48 because my friends and I made plans to eat elsewhere at such places as Spice Market and Del Frisco's. Overall I'd recommend staying here even though it's kinda pricey but it's NY and you get what you pay for. So when visiting NYC you should give this hotel strong consideration if it's within your price range.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LiberalElitist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (936)
  • Polish first
barrington
Reviewed 14 May 2014

i stayed at this hotel for three nights in a suite that overlooked the hudson river. It was lovely. The location was very close to time square (15 minute walk) The staff was very helpful The rooftop bar was verynice. good drinks and amazing view

1 Thank Karin C
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for three nights recently. The rooms were immaculate and very comfortable. The decor is very modern hip (reminiscent of a W Hotel). The staff was genuinely helpful and pleasant. The concierge staff was really helpful when I needed to plan a visit with the kids to Central Park (I.e., directions for subway and interesting things to do inside park). The location was convenient to Broadway. Only warning is thAt there is a nightclub not far from the hotel and on Saturday morning I heard the constant thump of club music. If you stay here ask to have a room on the side away from the nightclub.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ShanCTraveler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Great location , at 48th , just a short walk to theatre district.

We had a room booked for 3 nights , we had booked through the Magellan site which promises a room upgrade.

We arrived at 10am and asked if we could leave luggage as checkin was 3 pm . At check in the receptionist did say , we are very busy so your room won't be ready till 3 , I suggested that we would back at 4 so all good , and confirmed we were entitled to an upgrade.

We returned at 415 , the room was not ready , we were asked to take a seat , at 5.00 , we were offered a complimentary drink by the duty manager , we refused , shortly after , we were given access to the room we had booked not an upgraded room.

The duty manager , offered a bottle or red wine and a 75$ voucher to spend on dining in the hotel
Not what I would consider adequate compensation for over an hour delay at reception for a 2nd check in ( they took the credit card and confirmed booking at 10am . He also said we could change rooms on day 2 but after the first debacle we stayed with this room for 3 night

The other bad part of our stay was when we checked out the hotel staff member had No Note of the 75$ credit .

The Hotel itself is great in kimpton style they have a wine hour for guests at 5 each night

The staff are really knowledgeable about the local area , and the airline check in is a great service
But we were seriously let down by check in and checkout , we also did not get early wake up call at 450 am on the day of departure , which could have been a disaster but was not .

After 3 Kimpton stays in the past , I was very surprised as this was from my past experiences

Room Tip: Try to ensure you stay on floor ten or above Be careful when using the roof top terrace as it is n...
Green Features: Very environmental friendly , right down to the pass keys.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Howard N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The following claims were made in the copy used to tout the room I purchased via expedia:

1) "Pillowtop mattress" - false, it was a standard mattress
2) "premium cable channels" - false, Bravo and Food channels were black screens
3) "complimentary wired and wireless internet access" - false, this is not provided with compliments, rather in exchange for your subscription to the hotel's marketing list (which requires personal details like address). Otherwise it's $14.99. When I called the front desk, the associate was prepared with a script, but yielded and agreed to remove the charge from my folio.

Nothing is more frustrating than when hotels make false claims in their marketing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We're big fans of Kimpton boutique hotels, which all offer excellent friendly service and unique accomodations, but surprisingly, Ink48 exceeded all of our expectations. Most importantly, our modern, well-appointed room was huge by NYC standards, bigger than any we've ever occupied in our many visits to the city. The location is outstanding -- away from the Times Square hubbub but only a 15 minute walk to theater. Then there are the skyline views, which quite simply are fabulous. Nice little lobby bar & cafe, too. And as always, we were treated great by the staff, even getting a terrific recommendation from Andre at the front desk for a local sports bar where we could have an inexpensive light post-theater bite and watch late night out of town sporting events. You definitely cannot go wrong staying here -- it's a hidden treasure, the best NYC hotel we've ever had the pleasure of experiencing!

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

A return stay in NYC for a very big birthday required a special choice. The room on the 14th floor was outstanding with spectacular views of the Manhattan Skyline which changed throughout the day and night. We had the biggest bath we had ever seen (in the bedroom) plus a separate toilet and large rain shower. Unlike other hotel rooms the additional space was excellent with plenty of room to move about with an additional sitting area. The six foot bed was very comfortable.
The staff were welcoming and extremely helpful as well as knowledgeable and the room maid stopped us to ask if there was anything further we needed in the room.
The reviews suggested the hotel was out of the way and yes, the subway was a good ten minute walk, but Times Square was only a fifteen minute walk and the Intrepid Museum was a few minutes walk around the corner.
Food was quite expensive in the hotel, much like other NYC hotels, but 100 yards away was the Pom Pom diner (the old fashioned American type) where a full breakfast cost $17 for two. Then for diner was McQuaid's Irish Pub only 150 yards away provided a great selection of value for money diners ($50 for two).
All in all a great stay.

Room Tip: The city view was awesome
1 Thank Nigel S