“Slipping in quality”

GreenLeadersGold level
Montreal, Canada
“Slipping in quality”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I'm a frequent client of Kimpton Hotels and have always been very impressed with them, but I must admit my last stay at Ink48 was not up to par. We were first given a room on the 2nd floor, right next to a busy street, with windows that had poor sound insulation. In terms of noise, it was like sleeping in a bus shelter. The next night we were moved to a higher floor - much better for street noise, but the A/C fan was as loud as a Mack truck. Service was fine, but not the "VIP" feeling I usually get from Kimpton. Might be looking for another hotel next time I'm in NYC.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WorldXplorator
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello WorldXplorator,

I'm very sorry to hear that your last stay wasn't what you've come to expect from Ink48 and Kimpton in general. There is no doubt that being on the 2nd floor can be noisy due to street noise, but I am glad we were able to get you up a little higher at the very least. What I usually recommend is booking a King Deluxe Room (next step up from our standard King). It's only marginally more expensive and your guaranteed to be on the 7th floor or higher.

In terms of our AC unit, our engineers are excellent and can usually fix technical issue in the room.

I sincerly hope your most recent stay isn't your last. If you do choose to stay here again, feel free to give us a call prior to check-in, maybe mention a few of the issues you had, and we'll be sure to take care of you.

Thank you though for the candid feedback. The only way we can improve is by hearing from our customers, so I appreciate you taking the time and rest assured all that you mentioned will be addressed.

Best,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (956)
  • Polish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was definitively the worst hotel experience I ever had. And I almost never write negative reviews, but this has to be brought out. From the front desk to restaurant service to room service, it was terrible!
At the front desk they were incredible rude at our arrival, so after my colleague complained they gave her a better room, but left me on a very low floor. How rude can you be to not consider the second guest as well? I was standing right next to her, but not complaining. Lesson learned.
At the breakfast the main host was arrogant and you constantly get the feeling that he does not like the clientele he’s treating. I asked if on a Continental breakfast (simple combo for 17$ !!) I would have a croissant instead of the scone or muffin. Not possible. Seriously?
And for asking an additional ONE slice of toast I got 4$ upcharge. Seriously? In a hotel where I pay almost 400$ already you can’t spare a slice of bread? I think the most important of all is friendliness, then come these little services, treats. Not the newspaper in the morning or the yoga mat.
Also my TV wasn’t working, I couldn’t turn it off, so I called guest services. After 40 minutes still no “technician” as they call him, after 1 hour finally someone shows up.
I think this hotel is TERRIBLE. And it was definitively my LAST Kimpton stay!
Oh, I didn’t mention (and not so be all about to price, I just hate to be screwed).. Obviously I checked the breakfast bill (because of the slices of bread). And yes, they didn’t just add those, but also a 9$ gratuity UNDER the actual 18% (which was 3$).
Can you believe that? I asked and he barely excused himself and said it was a typo.
Sure.
Well. To save the day Jeff and Jess the technicians (and they are real good ones!!) just came in, while I’m writing this review. And they are STUNNING! Great great guys, very helpful, fast, they apologized for the inconvenience. Just GREAT! Give them a raise, put them to the front desk, the bar, the restaurant. You need people like them! Amazing.
For the rest, still the same. First and last time at INK48.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Kerstin B
Hey Kerstin B,

I'm so sorry to hear about the multiple issues you discussed in your review. It sounds like your colleague was able to get upgraded because she mentioned it to the front desk. So just an FYI, if you have any issue with your room and would prefer to be moved, feel free to let the front desk know and I can assure you that they will do everything in their power to find you something that is to your liking.

As far as the restaurant is concerned, I again apologize. This certainly isn't an excuse, but keep in mind they are a separately run entity from the hotel. Given that, we obviously have a relationship with them and we do our best to make sure those good Kimpton vibes are felt throughout, and we've clearly come up short in regards to that.

On the bright side, I'm glad you got to meet Jeffrey and Jesse! They are two of our best and glad they were able to fix your TV issues smoothly.

I do hope this isn't your last stay at Ink48. If you do chose to come back, I can assure you we will do everything possible to improve upon your last experience. Furthermore, if you do make a booking, feel free to call us prior to your arrival, ask for the manager on duty, and they will be willing to assist as well.

Also, rest assured that all of the issues you brought up will be addressed with the front office team.

All the best,
pittsburgh
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is not kid friendly. Had horrible, incompetent service at the hotel restaurant which even for NY was WAY overpriced for only just " acceptable" food. They didn't even want to separate check for a group of 6 people (2 moms and 2 kids each). I think they wanted the tip even though service was not great. Hotel room was clean and doable for a night. Will not stay here again. If you have kids or are cruising, I would NOT recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank B N
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hello Ask B N,

So sorry to hear about your experience. I know this doesn't help what happened to you, but just an FYI, the restaurant is separately owned from the hotel and has a separate manager. Regardless, we obviously have a close relationship with them and I'm so sorry that you didn't get to enjoy the usual kid-friendly experience that Kimpton is known to provide.

What does help though is your honest feeback and just know that I will follow-up with regards to this matter to see how we can improve. Seems like the overall experience in the hotel was pretty solid, so I do hope you chose to come back again and give us another shot!

All my best,
Congers, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

First I would like to say that the hotel itself was awesome! Too cool, lots of musicians were in and out as we toured the lobby. Just my husband and I style. We just got married and came for a little getaway directly from our reception. (We both walked in still wearing our wedding clothes) I loved the atmosphere and everything was within walking distance! Justin at concierge was a darling and attempted several times to make our stay a memorable one. Although I must say no one else really did. Justin even asked if we told anyone that we were newly weds and I responded that I walked in wearing my gown we all laughed. But the trouble we went through trying to book this room as we were originally opting to stay at the muse until they wouldn't honor a price that was quoted to us and stayed on hold for over 20 mins this including several transfers to see if it could be rectified you would think knowing that we JUST got married they would have acknowledged it. No biggie. If this review was based on staffers/booking reservations going out of their way it would be less than average. Cant depend on only Justin to make the experience a bit better. He wasn't there 24hrs had he been I know he would've went above and beyond! Thanks Justin!!!! Nonetheless, that didn't stop us from having a GREAT time! We also had some trouble with the drain in our soaking spa tub as the water would drain on its own if the water wasn't running which was annoying but again we made the best of it. When we called about it they said they would send someone to see why this was happening but no one showed. We just let the water run the entire time while in the tub.
Honestly we would love to come back hopefully second time around would be better. We are pretty easy going.

Room Tip: 15th floor Great View!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy S
Hey Cathy S.,

Seems like you had a pretty solid stay with us! First off, congrats on your honeymoon. Secondly, yes, Justin is the man. His service is second to none and we're lucky to have him. I do apologize that the other staff didn't seem to match his excellence, but it seems like overall, it was a good stay. Hope to see you here again soon! And again, congrats...

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is our first review of a hotel and this hotel is fabulous. We were in New York for our 51
wedding anniversary. The hotel and staff made it very special for us. Our room was absolutely wonderful with an incredible view. The location is a nice walk to Times Square. The entire staff
was very helpful and friendly especially Stephen at the front desk. We have been to New York many times and love the city and the theater. The ink48 will be our choice of hotels in New York in the future. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting NYC. We hope to see them again soon!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hey DonD63,

So glad you had such a great experience with us! It's feeback from peole like you that reassures us that we are doing our jobs well, and motivates us to continue on. Stephen is indeed one of our best and so glad you got to meet him.

Looking forward to seeing you here soon!

All the best,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last week and although it's not in the heart of Times Square it is only a short 15 minute walk. This hotel far exceeded my expectations and the customer service is well above what I have experienced in my time. Andres at reception is incredibly knowledgable with NYC, and gave some awesome recommendations for places to eat! I honestly believe customer service in a place can make or break your holiday, and these guys were superb! The rooftop bar gives an amazing view of the NYC backdrop. The hotel itself is very well kept, spacious and super friendly. Definitely recommend this place for a stop in NYC!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Browns82
Hello Browns82,

So glad you had a great time with us! Seems to me like you got to enjoy all the perks of staying at Ink48 in addition to all that the neighborhood has to offer. We always appreciate feedback and it's positive experiences from people like you (who also generously take time out to write a review) that reassures us that we are providing the excellent service we strive for.

Hope to see you here again sometime soon!

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is the first time I've written a review of a hotel. Our experience was so great that I felt we needed to share. My wife and I spent two nights at Ink48. We've stayed at several Kimpton hotels in Chicago and Washington D.C. over the last 10 years, but this tops the list by far. Amazing place -- and the staff was fabulous. The rooms are huge (by NYC standars) and everyone was very polite and obviously concerned about our stay -- even as we were leaving a member of the cleaning staff stopped us and asked if everything was satisfactory. The rooftop bar is must see for anyone coming to NYC. The rooftop is open to the public, and when we went to go to the rooftop we discovered a long line. We thought we were going to have to wait in the line, and so we started to make other plans. My wife was very disappointed. By chance, I asked the elevator operator if hotel guests needed to wait in line. "You're guests of the hotel?" he asked, and then before I could even confirm his question, he ushered us into the elevator. Wow. They take care of their own at Ink48. Some have noted that the location is a bit out of the way, but that's not a bad thing. In fact, it's why the rooftop view is so amazing. You're close enough to the skyline, but not too close -- you can really take it all in. It's also within easy walking distance of all the Subway stations we needed. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple