“What a Helpful and Accommodating Staff!”

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #80 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
West Hartford, CT
“What a Helpful and Accommodating Staff!”
Reviewed 11 November 2009

My husband and I stayed at INK48 for 7 nights (10/27-11/2) because of their soft opening rates, and were amazed at how helpful and accommodating the staff was to us. Our first room (12th floor) was bright (King deluxe), but when we could hear every word of our next-door neighbor's cellphone conversations, we were given a different room. We were moved down to the 9th floor, to a similar room (except we could see the cruise ships and the Hudson River), which was quiet (or maybe no one was in the room adjacent to ours).

When I needed a small fridge to store meds (and food), they happily supplied it.When it rained, there was an abundant supply of umbrellas. When I hurt my foot our last night, one of the staff volunteered to bring me an ice bucket full of ice. A free New York Times paper was delivered to our room each morning (but I had to remind the front desk, because one morning it didn't appear). I was able to access free wi-fi on my laptop without any trouble.

The fitness center wasn't open, yet - nor was the restaurant or rooftop bar, but they're both under construction and opening soon.

There was a complimentary breakfast, where plain Fage yogurt and fresh fruit for those of us who don't eat pastries, bagels, or croissants were offered. I used the free hot water to make instant oatmeal (which I brought with me). The free wine reception each evening pleased my husband - especially because he was encouraged to bring his wine glass to our room.

The front desk was unceasingly friendly. I mentioned needing directions to two places in SoHo - and they were printed out for me on the spot. When we asked for a room change, we weren't hassled or told there were no rooms available - we were told we'd be moved by the staff while we were out.

The location is a bit off-the-beaten-track - but there's a delicious Sullivan Street Bakery around the corner on 47th Street, as well as a nice walk to subways, the bus on 10th Avenue, Broadway, and restaurants on 9th Avenue. We walked everywhere and felt quite safe at night when we returned to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Sharron F
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2009
Dear slfWestHartford,
Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay with us at Ink48! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I'm happy to hear that the staff was so helpful and that they were able to accommodate your requests. We look forward to your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (936)
  • Polish first
Moncton, NB
Reviewed 11 November 2009

We stayed at the Ink48 for our honeymoon at the end of October, first the staff was super friendly first look at the lobby the hotel looks beautiful!

Our room we were on the 14th floor and we had a nice city view which was amazing!! There was plenty of room for our luggage and walking around, I liked that there was a vanity so I could get ready while sitting down in front a mirrow and a place to put all my cosmetics...needs a but more lighting though. We had 2 sinks in the bathroom a big shower with a rain shower and a HUGE bathtub... which I believe leaked because one of the staff members cam knocking on our door almost as soon as I started draining it and asked if our tub had over flowed, apparently was leaking in the room downstairs :( I am assuming they fixed the problem since I took a couple more baths during the week and no one came to see us.So we found we got a wicked deal because we got the room on the rough draft promotion but don't think I would book the same room for $500 a night when normal rates come in play.

As for location, it was a nice 18 minute walk to time square and we walked along 49th/48th and 47th at night and we felt safer walking down 47th there was more lights and seemed to be more business than residental so less people outside on front steps and seemed to have more foot traffic. It was a $5 cab fair to time square then we would take the subway.... if you want to be close to everything this isn't the place but we enjoyed it as it was close enough and enjoyed the morning walk with a coffee.

We would not stay at this hotel again for the simple fact that we wouldn't pay $500 a night for a room that's it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Piedmont, California
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We stayed at the Ink 48 for 3 nights for the NYC Marathon. We paid the soft-opening rates ($190 for superior king city view). The hotel still had a few things in progress; including the restaurants and bar. Overall, it was a great stay. The rooms are VERY large by NYC standards. Plenty of room to move around, open suitcases, sit and read a book. The bathrooms are huge. Ours had a 2-person bathtub, separate shower and tons of floor space (guessing 12x15 size room). The room itself was very clean, modern and well appointed. Beds and pillows were very comfortable. We did not hear any noise from other rooms. Not sure I would pay more than $300 a night for this room, but excellent choice for the reduced rate we received. Near many restaurants too, but lacked easy access to subway.

Pros:
* Very clean
* Staff was wonderful (moved us and discounted $150 when bathtub filled too slowly)
* Rooms were HUGE!
* 2 long blocks from Restaurant Row (9th Ave)
* Excellent location for the NYC Marathon; few short blocks from the expo and a few short blocks from the finish line

Cons:
* Not near subway station. Was 4 long blocks from the nearest at 8th & 50th [biggest negative!!!]
* Regular rates are very pricey
* Views for the river rooms not really spectacular. City views are much better.
* Still a few things not done (restaurant, carpet runners at front desk were tripping hazards)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingThru
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Stayed at Ink 48 for four nights for a short business trip in early October. We booked a Junior suite, but changed rooms to a City View the second night. The staff was incredibly accommodating about our switch, and even showed us available rooms and their views and layouts so that we could choose which we liked best.

We are spoiled travellers and are accustomed to nice hotels. Any of the rooms in this hotel would be nice to stay in, but we're getting pickier in our old age. The problem with the junior suite, was that it was a riverview (I use that term loosely) room. The unfortunate layout of the Junior suite is such that the only window in the room is around a corner from where the bed is, and can't be seen from the bed, desk, or entry area. It is visible from the couch, but I never tend to use the couch in a suite. That being said, the room is well decorated, and well appointed, and I've had apartments that were smaller than the bathroom in that suite (seriously, big bathroom).

When they switched our room to a city view room on the 14th floor, it was a smaller room, but still a good size, andthe view was spectacular. Well worth the switch!

The location is deceptively close to things. I was concerned when I saw it on a map that it might be a haul to the theater district, etc. but it is a short walk. There are plenty of excellent restaurants near the hotel, as Hell's Kitchen has become quite the restaurant row.

Most importantly, the staff was gracious and helpful. They gladly dragged my picky self around to several rooms to select the one that I liked the best (when, really all of the rooms are quite nice) and even allowed my husband to print something off of his email on their printer behind the front desk. We'll definitely look here next time business takes us to New York.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank speckster
Stockholm
Reviewed 6 November 2009

We had a marvellous stay at Ink48 for 4 nights. We had booked a room on the higher floors, bur when we arrived 10:30 pm we got a room on the 4th floor. Thet didn´t have any other available. We slept in that room for 1 night, and the next day when we came back from sightseeing our bags were moved to another room on the 10th floor - great service!
The complimentary breakfast where way over our expectations!
The staff were very serviceminded, and the room was wonderful!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
BRAZIL
Reviewed 6 November 2009

If you're young, already know the city and got the rough draft discount, Ink48 is a must.

I took the discount rate and I was there from 9 to 15 October. I can say that the staff is the big difference, cares about you and does everything so that you feel good. They are polite - and considerate! The bellboy told me that water out of the minibar was not complimentary and cost around $7 (do they read the complaint posted in this site? hehehe).

We stayed at the 10th floor, overlooking the Hudson River side. The facilities are brand new, towels although many still show the VU Hotel logo (must be changed). We had a comfortable restful nights in a king size bed with several pillows, just one day we heard the whistle of a ship at 6am.

While the L'Occitane amenities with the delicious shower invigorate the body, the afternoons of wine relax the soul bringing people together in a great atmosphere, almost like a community.

Not the best place for first time visitors, couples old and those with small children, especially in winter, since it is out of the loop - theater / food / metro / shops - you will depend of the hard to find NYC Taxis or have a pleasant and cold walk to the nearest subway station (50th at 8ave).

I think the hotel is a promise in the city if the neighborhood is developed better. A minibus shuttle (Ink48 <-> Muse Hotel) could be deployed to ease the path of the guests of both hotels, or if they want to go from Ink to theaters or from the Muse to the charming restaurants at 9th Avenue.

For a good price this is an awesome stay, but I think for the full price you can get best choices in the city.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 6 November 2009

I agree with the previous postings--great, hip hotel. Gritty neighborhood but perfect if you are going to a convention at Javits--it's a quick walk. Got the 1/2 price soft opening rate, so splurged on the Cityview king studio for $250/night. Wow--what a view! Studio was much larger than the posted photos of the standard rooms. 2 sinks in the open, tub in the open, giant rain shower, etc.

Since it is a studio, there is a lack of privacy regarding the bathroom--everything is open. But it was the largest hotel room I've ever had in NYC. Quiet, too considering I was only on the 11th floor.

The fitness room was open. It's minor, but they had only 3 headphones plugged into each treadmill. I may be naive, but I hope that hotels are sanitizing them when they put them out again. Doesn't seem the case here, and there's an ick factor with the swine flu scare. They also offer bottled water there. While nice, you'd think Kimpton would have a big jug (greener).

Staff was great. Hotel offered free bagels/coffee/juice since the restaurant wasn't open, which was a nice touch. Bar is gorgeous--I assume it will be a hit once open.

There is scaffolding over the building currently, so they've put a big banner for improved signage over the front. Cabbies had no trouble seeing it.

Kimpton does it again. The rates seem to be rising fast on the website--hope they hold it down so my company will allow me to stay there again!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business