“Fantastic Find for NYC trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #85 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Des Moines, Iowa
“Fantastic Find for NYC trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

I was unsure about where to stay on my recent NYC trip, but thank goodness I found Ink 48. This is a hidden gem of a hotel in Hell's Kitchen. I was concerned about distance to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park. Once I arrived I was put at ease and came to realize that the location is ideal. The buzz of Times Square is about 4 blocks away so you don't have the all night noise and sound - yet I could see the lights from my 5th floor cityview room. The walk between the hotel and Times Square is safe and enjoyable (for a 35 year old at least). The walk is filled with shops, clubs, and many very friendly restaurants. There is fun stuff in the hotel's neighborhood as well. I loved jogging in the morning on the Hudson trail system. All day and night there are people out and about on the trail and it seemed very safe. The Daily Show tapes a few blocks north, so if you are going to see the show there is no better hotel to stay. The Intrepid was a fun place to visit and it is almost next door. The subway station at 50th is a very easy walk so getting to anywhere in the city with a short walk and riding the train is possible. No need for a cab if you're willing to take the train.

The lobby was very inviting and the staff was super friendly. I wish I had my cat with me since the hotel is pet friendly - water bowl and treats in the lobby for them. The design of the hotel is very loft like. The pictures accurately represent the lobby and the rooms. The place is very well maintained and clean (except for the windows which were dirty on the outside). The window in my room opened a bit which was nice as the weather was ideal. The bed was big, comfortable, and clean. The bathroom - well I took pictures of the shower and tub because I want to remodel my master bath to be just like Ink 48's bathroom. The tv had all the good stations and the ipod docking was nice. I signed up for the Kimpton rewards which entitled me to free wireless internet. Great benefit and since I now like the Kimpton brand it should be helpful.

The only problem I experienced on the stay was that I never got to go to the rooftop garden. As I was gone most of the day doing tourist stuff, my time for the garden bar was early evening or bedtime. Every night of my 3 night stay there were special events going on hosted by outside parties. It was a big disappointment as I figured after walking around all day, but before leaving for supper, it would be a nice place to relax. The hotel should allow an area to always be open to guests of the hotel.

Overall rating is 5 stars - this hotel deserves it!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2010
Dear CJGlaw,
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Ink48. We're thrilled to hear that you had such a memorable and enjoyable experience! I'm glad that you liked the design and decor of the hotel and guest room, as well as the bathroom. Thanks again for the great feedback, we hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (905)
  • Polish first
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

I was a bit nervous about booking this hotel because of the location. You think Hell's Kitchen area and certain things pop into your mind. I am so glad I didn't let that affect making this reservation.
Ink48 was amazing from the minute we walked into the door. I did NOT want to leave. The lobby was fabulous. The staff was fabulous. Our room and VIEW was fabulous. And most fabulous was the rooftop deck. We enjoyed drinks each night and had Saturday brunch. You know when New Yorkers are up there raving - it's a good sign.
The bed was super comfortable. Sleeping was great because you weren't hearing taxi cabs honking all night. Location is perfect to get anywhere. We walked to Broadway.
I could go on and go how great it was, but you should see for yourself.
Did I mention the amazing food?
Overall, it is the best place I've stayed in a long time!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KL73
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

Had a short stay at Ink48, but loved it nonetheless! I was the only person in my group of 10 without a fantastic view, probably my fault as my Kimpton profile requests a room far from the elevator. Check in was a breeze, when I was identified as a Kimpton in touch member I received a $15 coupon for free items from the min bar, nice touch! When I made my way to the elevator, I noticed a woman pouring wine for guests - I was just in time for happy hour - gotta love free booze! The room was quite large by NYC standards and was stocked with all expected amenities.

It is a little cumbersome to have to go down to the lobby to wait on line to get back into an elevator to take you to the rooftop, but such is life! The rooftop was wonderful - the views and warm breeze made for quite a spectacular setting.

The only downside was the out of the way location, which was negligible. I will consider Ink48 for future stays in NYC

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Dear NYGirl37,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Ink48, and we're so happy that you had such a lovely visit. I'm glad you especially enjoyed all of the great Kimpton InTouch perks and the PRESS lounge on the rooftop! We hope to welcome you back again soon!
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

You are about a 20-30 minute walk to Times Square, with not much but average restaurants in between. Hotel is five blocks from the nearest subway station. It's coolest feature and most distinct feature is advertised as a rooftop bar/restaurant, but there is no food served, it's not open during the day, and is often closed for private parties. Ironically, the view is of the buildings around Times Square, which is probably where you want to be anyway. It is also extremely expensive. Despite it's location amidst car dealerships, my room, on the 9th floor on the 11th Ave. side was surprisingly noisy, traffic is heavy and honking is frequent given that there is a Lincoln Tunnel entrance nearby. Despite being a four star hotel, my room did not have a bathtub. Service was extremely courteous, but spotty. Asked for a daily paper, more often than not I it did not get delivered, canceled a wake up call and got woken up by one anyway, checked in late night and asked if there were restaurants nearby, and was basically told no, despite the plethora of places 1-2 avenues away. Complaining aside, the rooms are spotless and nicely appointed. Every single staff person I encountered was friendly and polite and the room felt spacious and cool (there was a heatwave at the time). A friend was staying a less expensive, older hotel closer to Times Square for about 30% less and despite "only" being 3.5 star rated, seemed like a much better deal and a more practical location.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SRichman, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2010
Dear octobersf,

Thank you for taking the time to write us and share the details of your stay. We take all of the feedback we receive to heart and hope to use it as a tool that will allow us to continually exceed our guests expectations. However, with that in mind I wanted to personally apologize for the areas in which we did not live up to your expectations. I only wish you had the opportunity to experience it with us first hand, but in case you're visiting in the future our rooftop lounge is now offering a bar menu in the evenings and a brunch menu during the weekends. I completely understand your feelings on the location, as it is not for everyone, but hopefully provides our guests the chance to escape the chaos of Times Square and take a moment to catch a breath amidst the hustle and bustle of Manhattan. While I'm happy to hear your encounters with our staff were quite pleasant, again, I would like to personally apologize for the shortcomings you faced and would be more than happy to serve as a direct point of contact for any future trips to NYC. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
Davis, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

As you know, it is very difficult to find a reasonably priced, clean hotel room in Manhattan, but ink48 is it. We were so surprised when we arrived because the hotel exceeded our expectations by a long shot. It is very clean and modern. They have a gorgeous rooftop lounge with an increadable 360 degree veiw of Manhattan and New Jersey. They offer free coffee and tea service in the morning and free lemonaid and Arnold Palmer's in the afternoon. The service is excellent. They have a nice gym. Our room was large, clean and modern with a sunken tub and large shower. The bed was very comfortable. It is a short walk to all the great Manhattan attractions and to great shopping. I hope they keep the prices where they are.
I will definately be back.
Thank you ink48!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank GoddessofDavis
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
Dear GoddessofDavis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your stay at Ink48! I'm extremely happy to learn that you enjoyed your visit and we exceeded your expectations. It's great that you got a chance to experience our rooftop lounge and the gorgeous views it offers. Also, I bet those Arnold Palmers were perfect for the hot summer days we've been having. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon!
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

My experience at this hotel was superb - from the great communication with Sam prior to my stay to the amazing service that started as soon as we step foot out of the taxi! Sam The hotel staff and friendly and attentive to your needs and we were treated to a complimentary bottle of bubbly and a box of chocolate in celebration of our wedding anniversary compliments of our concierge! Sam and the front desk staff are A1!

The views from the room are stunning... the bathroom vanity was incredibly placed in from of a large window with a view of the port and docked cruise liners.

Great complimentary coffee and tea in the a.m. Stunning rooftop terrace - a great place for a drink before stepping out for dinner....Manager's wine reception between 5 and 6pm is a nice touch - unfortunately we were always out at this time....

Luxurious, impeccably clean... Staying at another Kimpton Hotel in Miami (the EPIC) in a few weeks because of the great experience we had at INK48! I highly recommend this hotel. Kimpton rocks!

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M0ntrealc0uple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2010
Dear M0ntrealc0uple,

Thank your for the generous review regarding your recent stay at Ink48. We are flattered that you chose to celebrate your anniversary with us and I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you with some great amenities. Sam is a wonderful member of our team and it makes me so happy to hear that his, as well as the rest of our staff's, genuine care for our guests is appreciated. I'm thrilled that Ink48 has left a great impression of the Kimpton brand with you and we hope to welcome you back soon! Have a great time at The Epic and tell them we say "hi"!
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

I stayed here for three nights during the July heatwave from the 9th through to the 12th. The front-of-house staff are friendly and efficient and they allocated me a room within about three minutes of my arrival. I was based on one of the upper floors, the fortunate recipient of a large room with a panoramic view of the Hudson river and the Hell's Kitchen area of New York. Given the 90 degree temperatures, I was pleased to spend an initial hour or two in my room, reaping the benefit of the superbly designed air-con system.

The hotel is full of life and excitement. It has a nightclub which is one of the more happening places in New York. Great music coupled with an attractive crowd of people. This hotel has just as strong a pulse as many of its patrons.

As some reviewers have observed, the breakfasts here are not inexpensive. But the quality of the bacon, eggs and hash browns they served to me was of the highest calibre. And they also do an alluring fruit salad which neurtralises the effects of the fattier dishes.

Ink 48 is about fifteen minutes walk from Times Square. Although I took a taxi to the "Great White Way" once or twice, I preferred to walk there and back. The Hell's Kitchen area is quite safe at night and the neighbourhood has great atmosphere to it (including a rich selection of reasonably price restaurants on Eighth Avenue).

I think Ink 45 is priced very competitively. It cost me USD $ 800 all in for the three nights (including a cooked breakfast in the morning). This compared favourably, pricewise, with the USD $ 1,300 I paid for a much smaller room in the Library Hotel for a three day stay towards the end of my trip to the States.

So, to reiterate what I said in the headline to this review, Ink 48 deserves to be rated amongst the top 10 hotels in NYC. It's a high calibre place which, in large part, charges reasonably for its services.