“Close to it all and a good value”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-35th St/Empire State Bldg
Ranked #173 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Virginia
“Close to it all and a good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

My daughter and I met my sister for a long weekend in NYC and she had booked this hotel through an Expedia deal. She paid $855 for 6 nights and a flight from Detroit, not a bad deal. The hotel is very close to the subway and Times Square was only a few minutes walk away. The breakfast varied each day so it didn't get to boring. There were cheese "omelettes" and ham, eggs and sausage, french toast sticks and sausage. Other items included the usual - oatmeal (from a pouch), yogurt, fruit, muffins, donuts, etc. The hotel was very clean but small as I hear most NYC hotel rooms are. It was a good home base for a weekend visit.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Antonio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

This is a very nice hotel. I got a great deal through hotwire and, because of the price and the fact that it is in Manhattan, I was not expecting much but only to sleep and do some shopping and sightseeing. Boy was a surprised! Everything is pretty much walking distance from this hotel. There is even a subway steps away. I almost never get a free breakfast (95%) when I stay at hotels, no matter the stat rating. Thus, I was surprised to not only get breakfast with my stay, but get smorgasbord. The only problem I had was that my room was taken due to the fact that I did not call in a late check-in (a day later, ops!), but they quickly accommodated my needs even though this was my fault. If I was on a budget to NYC, I would stay here again, although I would want to explore another hotel next time in town, but that is just personal choice. Also, if you do want to stay in this area, there is a Hilton Gardens hotel right next door. After keeping the prices, don’t waste your time or money! Pick the Hampton.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Puget Sound, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

We lucked into a great rate of $139 for this hotel, and were very pleased with the property and its location. The hotel is at Herald Square with a subway station on the next corner. Times Square is easily within walking distance; just follow Broadway diagonally and you are there in minutes. Rooms were clean and furnishings very nice. High speed internet worked great, and there was also a free business center downstairs if you wanted to print anything. Breakfast was way more than I expected in an NYC hotel. Friendly staff. A/C was great and very welcome as Manhattan was having a series of its typical steamy summer days.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Newfoundland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night in July and one night in August. This hotel was clean and in an adequate location. However, if you plan on walking (not using subways, taxis or buses) to get around, you are better off moving up towards Times Square area...the attractions are more accessible by foot there. The rooms in this hotel are very small, like most NYC hotels. I did not use the free breakfast. The bellman was helpful with luggage and getting taxis etc. There are only 2 elevators for 20 floors and they are INCREDIBLY slow. We had a room with a view of the building next door. We had some problems with check-in at this hotel. We arrived early, around 11:00am. The person at the front desk informed me my room was not ready and would not be ready until 3:00pm. He suggested we check our luggage with the bellman and come back at that time. So we gave our luggage to the bellman (who was very sweet) but our luggage was left in open view and unattended for about 20 mins in a very crowded, cramped lobby. We waited in the lobby until our baggage was safely stored away. Then we walked around NYC for few hours and came back to the hotel around 2:00pm, at which time he once again informed me that my room was stiil not ready. I was not impressed, so we sat and waited in the lobby. About 5 minutes after we sat down, a room was magically ready. The same thing happened when we returned to this hotel in August, only this time we were prepared for it and planned accordingly. Throughout the summer I have stayed at 5 different hotel chains and all of them either had our room ready when we checked in or shortly thereafter. I am generally impressed with Hampton Inns...but not this one. Overall, this hotel is ok, but it isn't as good as the Hampton Inn Times Square North which is in a better location and has MUCH larger rooms, more staff and better service.

• Stayed July 2009
3 Thank Sharpay10
TheNetherland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

We ended our holiday with a five day stay in New York. With two teenagers this location is great. The coffee, tea and juice were always there on the way back into the room, even at night. Very clean rooms, a little small, but if you are in New York you should spend as less time as possible in your room. The shower (massage) was terrific with enough hot water. Staff was very helpful in arranging for cab/limo to take us to airport on departure.
There is a subway stop just steps from the front door. It is VERY walkable to Times Square and Broadway plays.
Breakfast was good: fresh fruits, breads, doughnuts, cereals, eggs, juices, oatmeal. Always kept stocked full.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if you can get a great rate (Travelzoo.com)

Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

This hotel had everything we needed, except for 2 extra nights we wanted to add at the last minute. The staff was very kind and helpful. The breakfast choices made one want to stay and fill up on everything. Fresh fruits, breads, doughnuts, cereals, eggs, juices, oatmeal. (You name it). Always kept stocked full. The business center was a plus and the workout room was sufficient. Bedding and rooms were clean and nice. Elevators were fast. Subway was close by. Only confusion was the park and go rate. They failed to mention that I had to pay the parking and return with the receipt to have the charges removed from my hotel bill.

Tallahassee, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

On the whole, I'd have to say I liked this hotel a lot. You certainly should stay for the view (we were on the 2nd floor) or room size (you can hardly walk around without having to move your suitcases), but you should certainly stay for the location and the value. The beds are great and the staff is sufficient. We mostly used the stairs as the elevators are very slow.

The subway is steps away and you're only about eight blocks from Times Square. It's also very safe.